PDA

View Full Version : Watt P-47 would you choose?

Grasshopper
03-31-2006, 03:04 AM
Hello all,

I am considering getting a P-47 but I don't see a large variety of them out there. I've looked at the E-flight and it appears to be pretty good but I was wondering if there are any others as good or better, or some that I should just stay away from altogether. I would like to be able to do some aerobatics but am more concerned that it looks close to scale. I would also like it to be around 36" wingspan or larger but not so large I have to sink a small fortune into the motor and controls. I don't think I want to go to the trouble and expense of retracts so landing gear can be optional. As far as power and electronics, I'm wide open, I'm looking at the Spektrum DX6 system and really don't know much about motors, ESCs and batteries yet. I'm relatively new to electrics but have built a number of glow planes in the past so building is ok too.

I would like some input from the resident experts here. Thanks for your help.

Tom :rolleyes:

Jeremy Z
03-31-2006, 03:23 AM
The most scale foam ones I can think of are the E-Flite, Flying Styro, and Alfa. (the last two, you can get at hobby-lobby) They have the panel lines molded in and everything.

The GWS will be the cheapest one to power properly. You may or may not be surprised to hear that once they're in the air, they all look good. The GWS airframe only costs $30, and you can make it look as good as your skills allow. The E-Flite's bigger, and will cost more to power it properly.

Check out Hobby-Lobby.com and have a look at theirs. They have at least 3 different ones; all top quality & very scale looking. These are probably even a bit better than the E-Flite ones for scale looks.

Lastly, there are the balsa ones that you can find at www.towerhobbies.com (http://www.towerhobbies.com) Those are probably going to look the best, though not necessarily the most scale in the end.

geo8498@mac.com
03-31-2006, 03:28 AM
Hobby lobby has an Alfa P47 on sale for $99. I have one, which is a really good plane, though mine is getting old and beat up. They have another silver version which is replacing the green one that is on sale. they fly great with brushed or brushless, and IMO look more scale than the Eflite.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com

Grasshopper
03-31-2006, 03:30 AM
Thanks Jeremy,

I don't know how many times I've been to the Hobby Lobby web site an drooled over their warbirds. They really do look good. Where's the best place to look at the GWS?

Grasshopper
03-31-2006, 03:33 AM
Geo,

I agree that the Hobby Lobby planes look much better than the E-Flight. I wish they would have lightened up a little on weathering the panel lines on the E-Flight. I was just on the HL sight looking at the video of the silver one. Is it difficult to keep oriented with a plane that's silver on top and bottom?

geo8498@mac.com
04-04-2006, 09:00 PM
I think the redesign paint scheme was actually to help visibilty. I'm sure the invasion stripes on the bottom only helps too. They did it to the Corsair too, because the solid blue scheme was hard to see. I never had any real problems seeing the green P47, but I did add invasion stripes and pianted a yellow cowel.

If you get any Alfa warbird, oh what a sweet flying bird you will have. You should check out the review in May's Backyard Flyer on Alfa's new P51B.

Grasshopper
04-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Turns out I bought an E-flight P-47. I got it on E-Bay for $46 unused and complete in the box. It had a crack in the right wingtip but from the photos it looks to be repaired very easily. For the price, I couldn't pass it up. It should be here tomorrow. I also got a new Spektrum DX-6 system for it. I can't wait to get this bird in the air.

barmonkey
04-05-2006, 06:54 AM
Grasshopper, turns out that you outbid me on that one...good luck with it

Grasshopper
04-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Sorry about that Barmonkey.