PDA

View Full Version : Can a smaller prop cause cogging?

tsar
09-03-2010, 02:49 AM
Just as the title says.
I have an outrunner Rimfire .10 1250 RPM Burst 35A connected to a Castle 36A ESC monitored by a Futaba receiver.

without the prop it spins up fine.

I haven't been able to grab the 9x4.5 prop for it, but my 8x6 prop causes the motor to stutter/cog at start up.

I have checked my solder, my ESC is fine too..

Thoughts?

Can a smaller prop really cause stuttering / cogging?
tsar????

tsar
09-03-2010, 03:01 AM
I should add.. I am using a 11.1 V LiPo by ParkZone

Larry3215
09-03-2010, 05:14 AM
No - smaller props dont cause that.

If the prop was too large it could cause the esc to have problems running the motor but that prop should well under the limit on that motor.

You have one of the following going on:

1)most likely by far - a poor connection between the motor and esc or

2)a short or open winding inside the motor or a broken wire lead from the motor. Motor wires can break easily - usually near where they exit the motor case or near the connector. To check for shorts use an Ohm meter to see if you have a connection between any of the three motor wires and the case or shaft. There should be infinite resistance. If not the motor will need to be re-wound.

3)Wrong settings on the Castle controller. For outrunners you want LOW timing and either 8khz PWM or Outrunner mode and HI motor start power.

4) a broken esc.

Also - are you "sneaking up" on the throttle very slowly? That often doesnt work well.

Do you have the latest version of the Castle Firmware installed on the controller? The newest versions have a much better startup routine than older versions.

Good luck!

tsar
09-03-2010, 05:54 AM
No - smaller props dont cause that.

If the prop was too large it could cause the esc to have problems running the motor but that prop should well under the limit on that motor.

You have one of the following going on:

1)most likely by far - a poor connection between the motor and esc or

2)a short or open winding inside the motor or a broken wire lead from the motor. Motor wires can break easily - usually near where they exit the motor case or near the connector. To check for shorts use an Ohm meter to see if you have a connection between any of the three motor wires and the case or shaft. There should be infinite resistance. If not the motor will need to be re-wound.

3)Wrong settings on the Castle controller. For outrunners you want LOW timing and either 8khz PWM or Outrunner mode and HI motor start power.

4) a broken esc.

Also - are you "sneaking up" on the throttle very slowly? That often doesnt work well.

Do you have the latest version of the Castle Firmware installed on the controller? The newest versions have a much better startup routine than older versions.

Good luck!
hey larry, fixed the problem... it was the final suggestion you had:
I was "sneaking up".. my trim/sensetivity was also set to a 'wide' negative spectrum... as in, it would take more throttle ticks to get the spin faster..

so i returned the trim to 0 from -32 and the problem is resolved. Now.. Do you have a link for upgrading firmware? you've got me interested !

man, this forum is super.

Larry3215
09-03-2010, 06:28 AM
In order to up-date the firmware you need the Castle Link. Its a USB programing cable that connects the esc to your computer. You can use it to read/change settings on the controller as well as up-date the firmware. Its a very handy device if you own Castle controllers :)

http://www.toddsmodels.com/Castle_Creations_Castle_Link_Programming_Kit_p/clink.htm