PDA

View Full Version : Telemaster wing failure

Mike Freas
04-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Well today was the last day for my Telemaster. I'm a bit beside myself right now from the loss of a bird that me and my son put so much work into.

It was a normal day at my !QUOT!field!QUOT! with about a 5mph wind. The first flight was great. During the second flight I was having fun doing loops and stall turns. I was running at about half throttle and rolled the bird to the left nice and slow. I lost a bit of altitude during the roll so I pulled back on the elevator and I heard it. A loud snap and the left wing half departed from the plane. I was about 100' up and was helpless watching my hard work auger itself into the ground. My son (6) started crying and honestly I wanted to shed a tear but I was in a bit of shock. My first concern was to get to the crash and unplug the lipo and get it away from the crash. Initial inspection showed that the lipo pack was ruined as you can see in the pictures. When I got home I checked the servos and all are working fine as is the AXI and ESC. The motor does sound a bit different so I think I will send it back for repair. Overall it was an expensive and depressing day for me. Posting here begins the healing and I will rebuild it better and stronger with a two piece wing this time just for the spite of it. :mad:

I can't upload the pictures here for some reason so here is the link to the other thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4111975/anchors_4111990/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4111990

Twmaster
04-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Sorry man. :(

"I fly. therefor I crash."

firemanbill
04-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Sorry for your loss Mike. Keep your chin up and keep that son of yours involved!

geo8498@mac.com
04-01-2006, 11:35 PM
I smacked my Mini Funtana into a basketball fence Thursday night. I had the same feeling. My plane wasn't as damaged as yours though.

skiman762
04-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Sorry to see that
It hurts I know but I thinks it's safe to say
That anyone who's flying has a story to post here
It hurts more when you can't say why did I do that
my last one was a midair at first we said man that was close then the cracking sound reached us and I said that can't be good
half of one wing was on it's own flight path the the rest beat it to the ground I clipped his landing gear and like a knife it cut the wing in half
But soon the UPS man took my blues away and I am moving on

Don't give up if it's not your first one it won't be your last it goes with the hobby

Doc Pete
04-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Unless I don't see something, did you plank at least 2 or 3 (sections)ribs of the wing either side, in the center??? Also, did you glass about 3" of the center section???

The reason I ask is, my very customized Bud Nosen trainer (100" wing) is over 20 years old without a wing failure.....
Pete

Mike Freas
04-03-2006, 06:50 PM
I build it almost to the plans with the exception of the wing joiner which is what failed. The heavy ply I used looked stronger then the stock one but it wasn't.

Doc Pete
04-03-2006, 08:18 PM
I build it almost to the plans with the exception of the wing joiner which is what failed. The heavy ply I used looked stronger then the stock one but it wasn't.

I here ya. When I built my wing (1983) I went round and round about making it two pieces.
Anyway, even though I knew it would be a pain in the butt, I ended up making it a one piece solid wing.
It's strong, like bull:D .....

Mike Freas
04-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Mine was a one piece design but gravity, G's and poor design returned it to two.

Doc Pete
04-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Mine was a one piece design but gravity, G's and poor design returned it to two.

We used to watch guy's fold wings on gliders like nothing. They'd get them up high, lose perspective and start the "weewaas", up and down, rocking horse, or whatever you want to call it :) , and the next thing you knew it was a lawn dart:D .
Ah the good old days.........

Big Oakden
05-16-2006, 03:03 AM
Bought my first telemaster used.....well used.

had been solo for about 3 weeks, when i tried to do a cuban 8 (SLOWLY) when I reached the bottom of the second O and pulled up the wings simply folded. Deadcenter. Looked like a giant V on top of the plane. I tried full throttle, and no throttle. neither worked. My son (14 at the time) said " Do you want me to catch it?" (it was up about 250 ft when it broke) I said no let it go, I dont wat you getting cut by the prop.

When we got to the crash site, (oh by the way, she "Flat landed" on her gear and flattened out) I noticed that the only thing holding the wing together was the servo and the two metal rods connected to the bell cranks for the ailerons. when I looked to where the spar was, there wasn't one. So after my son whacked my ugly stick twice learning how to fly, I rebuit her. she is really ugly, but flys well. (no more 6 ft takeoffs, they are now 15-20 ft.)

ragbag
05-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Sorry to see that
It hurts I know but I thinks it's safe to say
That anyone who's flying has a story to post here.

Don't give up if it's not your first one it won't be your last it goes with the hobby

My story is from many years ago, my first airplane. A Sterling Flying Fool biplane control line airplane.
Taught myself how to build it and was getting ready to go learn how to fly. My four year old daughter was spinning and making herself dizzy, lost her balance and sat on the fuselage.

Very upset, I went and bought another kit, didn't know they could be rebuilt. Second time around the circle it went straight down, forgot to solder one of the leadouts to the bellcrank.

The third kit lasted many years, sorry I didn't take the time to teach the daughter to fly way back in 1962.

Wont count the other oop's that I have gone through since then, I think the biggest was not thinking ahead far enough to include the daughter.
George