PDA

View Full Version : New to electric gliders need help

RaycRay
08-18-2005, 02:02 AM
I am new to gliders, I have a few other electric planes. I tried to fly my Ascent today but I could not get it more than about 20 feet off the ground under full power . I did everthing the instruction book said as far as the balancing of the plane and even a no power glide test.I noticed in another thread another member talked about the motor getting very hot and mine is the same, so I guess I need to change the prop. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
:confused:

EpoweredRc
08-18-2005, 02:11 AM
I am new to gliders, I have a few other electric planes. I tried to fly my Ascent today but I could not get it more than about 20 feet off the ground under full power . I did everthing the instruction book said as far as the balancing of the plane and even a no power glide test.I noticed in another thread another member talked about the motor getting very hot and mine is the same, so I guess I need to change the prop. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
:confused:

What kind of motor,prop,batterys,speed controller?
who sells that plane?Dont think I ever heard of one.

RaycRay
08-18-2005, 02:45 AM
It is the stock motor a Speed 400 motor w/ folding prop, the glider is a e-flite and the speed control is a e-flite 20 amp esc. And the battery is a 8.4v 600mah which I had to solder a diffrent connector on because it was the closest thing my LHS had it is made for a firebird airplane.

Jason T
08-18-2005, 03:25 AM
What is the prop size, diameter and pitch? The motor may be drawing too many amps. How much does the model weight with battery in it?

Jason

RaycRay
08-18-2005, 10:17 PM
The prop is a folding 7-3, and the flying weight is 19.5 oz.

Jason T
08-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Ray,

Everything I have ever read about the Ascent says that the stock prop of 7x3 is too much for that motor. Others are using a 6x3 folding prop. Your flying weight (AUW - all up weight) is in line with others.

Jason

BillM
08-20-2005, 03:53 AM
Ray
You can do the following: Change the prop completely by using a Graupner 6.3 X 3 folding prop that was designed for their Terry. A standard 6 X 3 has a spinner that is a bit too small. OR you can change the blades on the prop you have from the 7 X 3 that are there with a set of 6 X 3 blades. I prefer to change the whole prop.
Another solution is an 8 cell pack. I don't know what connectors you are using but I would reccomend either Andeson Power Poles (also known as Sermos) or Deans. They are very low loss connectors and that allows more power to get to the motor.

BM

ptb
09-13-2005, 12:00 AM
Forget8 cells, power poles, and the stock prop! You are overloading the motor already!
A 6/3 prop is a must! Been there done that myself! My assent had 8 cells, but now
it has a mega 16-15-5 swinging a8/5 prop and it goes nearly verticle! There has
been nearly 1000 posts on another site, on the assent! A great buy for the money.

Epoxycup
09-16-2005, 04:50 PM
I agree with BillM.

Get a Graupner 6.3X3 prop or even a 6X3. I had an ascent and it was very sick on the original prop. When I chaged props the differance was amazing:cool: .
Good prop design are like good tire on a race car, what a differance. I was useing a wattage 8cell NiMh pack. They are about AAA size batteries. It takes 8 (9.6volts) to get the power out of the speed 400 motor, but thats about as much as I would go or you will shorten the motor life seriously:rolleyes: .

By the way the Ascent is a greta little glider!:D

Dan

Strati
12-08-2005, 12:46 PM
RaycRay
Check out the attached two Web sites, should be of some help

Kind Regards
John
www.home.iprimus.com.au/ianpullar/ (http://www.home.iprimus.com.au/ianpullar/)
www.flyelectric.com (http://www.flyelectric.com)

Elfwreck
12-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Hey now,
There is another route you could take if you're willing to spend a little bread. Not that what's been said is wrong, this is just another option to think about.
Go with the eight cell pack (I know, I know but wait, there's more!),
buy an MPI inline gearbox, they make a nice one for about thirtyfive bux, get the 3.3:1 ratio. Then find an 11-8 folding prop, Graumpner makes a nice one, don't bother with the Sonic tronics ones.

This won't make the model any faster really, but it'll add lots of thrust and drop your amps a bit, you should be around twelve amps with this set up.
Your model will go up at around seventy degrees for as long as you want.
RobII

Stark Flyer
12-08-2005, 10:12 PM
6x3 prop and 8 cell NiMH will fix it. Motor gets a little hot put it will fly. As others have said the stock prop does not work on this plane.

Dick

TeslaWinger
12-09-2005, 05:02 AM
Stark- BELIEVE IT! Toss the stock prop that came with the Ascent! The 6x3 prop is good advice you are getting here- (with a 2.3mm mounting hole for the spinner.) It will cause you grief and burn the motor long before you have any fun with it.

The total lack of cooling air THRU the motor- is FATAL for a 50% efficient motor that makes power and HEAT in equal proportions- even with the right prop and battery voltage. Grab onto a 60 watt lightbulb for a demonstration of how serious the cooling issue is here! No, DON'T! :D

Sorry you had to pick an otherwise great plane that has such serious flaws- both easily overcome with some work- and just a little money. Dont get discouraged- just learn from these helpful guys and get local help with the cooling holes and the necessary reinforcement that will be required if need be.

Brushless and lipos are fantastic (and expensive)- but with adequate cooling airflow thru the S400 you can have a blast all season with these $10 motors! Good luck!

PS: The standard Graupner hub is too small for the Ascent- get the one for use with the CAM props.