PDA

View Full Version : Carbon rods?

rcflyer7
04-02-2006, 01:42 AM
Hey guys,
I just built the Rebel from hobby lobby and I really don't like the string stiffeners that they supplied to stiffen the wing/fuse. After a couple of flights the strings are loose.
Where can I find some carbon fiber sticks to replace the kevlar string? I would like to find them in the round form.
Thanks
Rich

Twmaster
04-02-2006, 01:51 AM
Your local hobby store would be the first place to look. Midwest sells CF rods. My LHS stocks them in many diameters and 3 different lengths. Otherwise the regular group of online vendors would be the next place to look.

wytlytnin
04-12-2006, 02:23 AM
Check these:

http://www.goodwindskites.com/merch/list.shtml?cat=framework.solidroundcarbon

http:///cstsales.web01.yourhost.com/shop-bin/sc/productsearch.cgi?storeid=*1a43ce414170ce6a13a769e f894bfc

Greg

rcflyer7
04-12-2006, 03:19 AM
Thanks guys. I did find them at my local hobby shop. It suprised the heck out of me tht they had them.in all sizes to boot.
Rich

Bill G
04-23-2006, 06:32 PM
I can't push the Midwest CF spars and rods enough, for foamies. Not that cheap, but worth every penny. I been tack gluing the CF rods along foamie wing leading edges, and then using epoxy to finalize. These wings are now virtually indestructible. They can still bend, but the stress can't concentrate in a single spot, and break there. Line fuses from front to rear, or at least behind the wing, and you get the same effect. I won't build a plane anymore, without at least 15-20 bucks worth of the stuff in it.

Old Man
04-24-2006, 01:58 AM
I can't push the Midwest CF spars and rods enough, for foamies. Not that cheap, but worth every penny. I been tack gluing the CF rods along foamie wing leading edges, and then using epoxy to finalize. These wings are now virtually indestructible. They can still bend, but the stress can't concentrate in a single spot, and break there. Line fuses from front to rear, or at least behind the wing, and you get the same effect. I won't build a plane anymore, without at least 15-20 bucks worth of the stuff in it.
I used to use epoxy but now I use hot glue to attach CF rods to my foamies. It works great to hold the rods in place and when I am ready to ready to trash the foamie; the glue is easy to remove so that I can use the rods in another foamie without any added weight from the old glue.:)

Bill G
04-24-2006, 02:58 AM
I used to use epoxy but now I use hot glue to attach CF rods to my foamies. It works great to hold the rods in place and when I am ready to ready to trash the foamie; the glue is easy to remove so that I can use the rods in another foamie without any added weight from the old glue.:)

Yeah, you can't exactly clean CA off of them. Bonds better to CF than anything else I've seen.