PDA

View Full Version : I need Help With Hydrofoam electronics

jon89
04-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Does anyone know about the motor and servo hookups to the receiver on the Hydrofoam? This is my first time and the only directions where pictures on how to glue it together, nothing about the electonics or anything about the remote or recevier, PLEASE HELP :mad::confused:

my email is

jon_cappelli@yahoo.com

jon89
04-02-2006, 08:21 AM
thankyou

Don Sims
04-02-2006, 02:32 PM
So John, did someone take care of you? How about posting the answer so other folks that have the same problem can find a solution??

jon89
04-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Sorry Don no replies yet

Don Sims
04-02-2006, 07:57 PM
If you have a digital camera, take some shots for us. Usually the speed control plugs into channel three. Not always but usually. Channel 1 and two can be for elevator and rudder.

I hope you aren't like a guy at our LHS and bought this thing as your first plane??? They are not a good trainer at all.

jon89
04-02-2006, 11:29 PM
yes it is my first lol, but i figured i could use it like a hover car and boat to get use to it , i dont really care if i break it im about to that point before i even finish it :), any way none of the pins are labeled ive tried just about every configuration i think, i cannot get it to respond to anything or get the motor to turn, i have no idea how to set up to transmitter either, it says "Shenzhou FM proportional radio control system, it also came without any instructions i did get as far as putting the crystal in lol

Don Sims
04-03-2006, 01:05 AM
Yikes, not a good situation! Do you know anyone around you that's into R/C? Getting the crystal in is a start! :D

mike_mn
04-04-2006, 04:23 AM
Jon,

This is the ebay version I am guessing. the Hydroflyer it said on the package methinks. If so, you need to be carful. i helped a guy at work get one set up and he burned out 2 of the servos right away.

The first thing you need to do before connecting any of the electronics is to remove the servo horns. The servos were not centered before they were placed and can easily be forced into the foam or balsa top and burn out if you just power them up.

As for connecting. The black wire goes towards the outside of the reciever. this is strange because the motor controller has the plug on backwards from the rest. line up the black wires along the outside edge of the reciever.

As far as which chanell for what...I would have to get the guys plane to figure it out agiain....trial and error should work wont burn anything up unless you dont have the blacks to the outside or you leave the servo horns in place. Also, make sure you have a charged battery pack. His came with very little power and needed to be charged right out of the box with the charger it comes with. At a minimum you should be able to get the motor to spin. i would be surprised if you burned up the motor controller. The left stick up and down should drive the motor(when you start up you have to have the stick all the way down or it will not power up the motor until you move it all the way down). The left stick left and right should control the rudder(the vertical thingy in the middle of the back of the plane). The right stick will control the other 2 servos mounted on each side. you need to mess with the dip switches in the middle of the transmitter to get it set up properly. i think switch 5 enables the mixing of the 2 servos for elevons. i would bring it in to your LHS to have them help once you start gettting them to move at all.

A sure sign that you burned up the servos is this, a bubbled out spot on the bottom of the servo. there is a chip that gets ultra hot and melts the casing on the bottom and creates a littl bubble on the outside of the casing on the bottom of the servo.

Just bring it to the LHS and ask for a similar sized replacement. Hitec HS-55 or eflight s75 will work fine for you as a replacement. a bit smaller, but fine.

For a build thread check out the hydrohawk from FMA direct. They sell the same kit without the controller and receveir you got. They have better dierections and some mods to make it fly a little better. They are not much good on the ground unless you have some speed. I had to kick his a little to get it started on grass. Not enough power to hover held against the wall. It will fly though, just will be tough to be proficiant it not being a good version of a hydro to startwith...

I am a fairly new pilot and am on my second conventional plane in my quest to eventually pilot a hydroplane flyer. After many hours on RCG and other forums, I think Reds Miss hangar One is the best available hydroplane foam flyer kit available. My third plane will be a thrust vectoring type trainer to get me ready for the MHO as a forth plane hopfully this summer.

Good luck to you Jon

wannafly
12-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Please help me too.
My hydrofoam arrived RTF.
My "left/right roll" is on the left with the throttle and my rudder is with the "up/down".
Is this right??
I'd much rather have the "pitch and roll" (swap rudder and roll)on the left....I think.
It has a "mixer" , can I just pull out plugs and try get them to work together or can't it be done???
ANY help on this would be great.
Thanx

CHELLIE
12-08-2006, 08:55 AM
:rolleyes: Hi Wannafly, thats what I dont like about the ready to fly hydrofoams that are purchased on line, you dont know if they are mode 1 or mode 2 or if someone just hooked up everything wrong, you might be able to unplug the servo at the receiver and change the function of the servos, normally mode 2 has throttle & rudder on the left and ailerons & elevator on the right, a lot of the RTF are mode 1, yuk, :) I have the Miss Hydrofoam with a JR mode 2 transmitter with comp. mixing, it works great, and a hitec 5 channel receiver, with hitec 55 servos. It has a 2409-12 outrunner and 7x6 prop. with a 30 amp ESC. and a 1800 mah 11.1v lipo
this setup works very very well, for more help, go to :http://www.bizingo.com/m/GITech/default.asp
jay is a dist. of the Miss Hydrofoam, and he has a lot of information on his web page, and if you need parts he can help you there too.

wannafly
12-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Thanx very much I'll go have a look.
I have managed to change the servo plugs around and now have throttle/rudder left stick...and..roll/pitch right stick.
I have only had one chance to take it out due to the weather and I BROKE it. I hope this was due to the radio setup , it should be better now....I hope.

CHELLIE
12-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Hi Wannafly, I added some info on this page that has helped me to be successful in flying these hydrofoams, check it out, take care, and have fun, Chellie
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9514&page=2&highlight=CHELLIE

wannafly
12-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Excellent , thanx chellie. I will definately be adding to that thread TODAY:). And the GITech site link is also great.
I'm like you in that I'm not planning on giving up on this. I'm going to get it right.

CHELLIE
12-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Hi Wannafly, Just stick with it, you will get it, they are a blast to fly, it just takes time in learning these hydros and getting them set up just right, Take care, And have Fun, Chellie.

bikerjeg
08-19-2007, 04:45 AM
I have been in and out of the forums lately and I think this is my first post.

I finally got around to building my hydrofoam. I have had it sitting around for almost a year :P, but I need some help setting up the servos and getting everything setup on my hitect eclipse 7 TX. If anyone has a similar setup please let me know what you did to setup the mixing and what channels I should plug each of the servos to.

I have some pictures here of my setup and hopefully someone can point out what servo goes on each of the channels. Thanks in advance.

arniep
08-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Usually the servo to the right elevon goes to channel 1, left elevon goes to channel 2, speed control to channel 3 and rudder to channel 4. You will need elevon mixing of channels 1 and 2. Make sure you set your throws to very low. More importanly, make sure you have a good supply of tape and glue!

I would recommend running it around in circles on the ground before taking to air. That will give you a chance to get used to steering it when it is coming toward you, in which case your stick moves will be reversed.
Good luck! Let us know how you are progressing.

I have been in and out of the forums lately and I think this is my first post.

I finally got around to building my hydrofoam. I have had it sitting around for almost a year :P, but I need some help setting up the servos and getting everything setup on my hitect eclipse 7 TX. If anyone has a similar setup please let me know what you did to setup the mixing and what channels I should plug each of the servos to.

I have some pictures here of my setup and hopefully someone can point out what servo goes on each of the channels. Thanks in advance.