PDA

View Full Version : Throw out those Garbage Gum Bands!

Bill G
04-03-2006, 03:13 AM
Iv'e had a GWS Beaver on floats in my back seat since this winter. It's been a consistent flyer and good on snow. Well, I went to fly it on this beatuiful spring day. After a hand toss launch, it just didn't feel too responsive. Gradually got worse, and went into a dive which could not be pulled out from. It looked a lot worse than it really was. Tore out a few wing strut mounts, float mounts, and 1 crack in the elevator. Just a few more degrees on the dive angle would have had a different effect.

Went home and easily made all the repairs in a short half hour. Good as new. Still baffled as to what exactly happened. I went back to the car to get something else out of it, and started to examine the single rubber band that had remained stuck to the wing, and fell off in the car. Pulled on it lightly, it was dry rotted, and breaking everywhere. THROW OUT THOSE POS (poor old stupid, for politically correct types) GWS RUBBER BANDS! They're garbage! I even bought a box of half decent Hobbico bands, but never changed them on this plane. While no rubber bands last forever, the GWS ones are $#!+.

Took it back out again for a nice relaxing redeeming flight. It's actually a very forgiving plane. My cg is a good 10mm back from the aft most reccomended point, and it still flys well. With a geared Himax 2015-4100 it's a kick at full throttle, with all its drag. The wing tips start flapping wildly like a real bird. Sure, I could add the 2nd brace that GWS shows, but it doesn't fly that smoothly at speed anyways.

firemanbill
04-03-2006, 03:35 AM
Bill,

I couldn't agree with you more! I keep those GWS bands around in my box for holding stuff together while the glue dries but they never hold a wing on for me. I was a bit more fortunate than you as I spotted the same thing happening on my Beaver before I flew it one day and it was only a couple months old at the time.

A bag of bands I got a wally world have been great and lasted 6 months now and haven't swapped one out yet. I thinks they were like .89 or .99 cents...

WACOFlyer
04-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Gum bands.........as soon as I saw that, I knew you were from western Pa. I used to live north of Pittsburgh (Beaver Falls). It took a while to get used to the regional slang/lingo, yuns guys.:eek:

My 2 cents.

Jeremy Z
04-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Hehehe, that's funny, I'd never heard "gum bands" before. I thought he was referring to a certain type...

I used them to hold the wing on my T-Hawk when I had misplaced the real ones. (I used about 6 of them!) They worked fine. One just has to realize that they are included in a $27 airplane kit. They have to provide cheap something to sell a kit at that price. I'd rather have it be the rubber bands for assembly than molding or something. People complain about their glue, but it does work if you use it properly, and they do include it where others do not.

firemanbill
04-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Agree Jeremy... They have to make a profit and better to cut there than other areas. Don't take me wrong I like my GWS stuff, a lot... I just substitute the rubber bands out for thicker stuff.

I like their glue as well. If you use it the right way it will hold stuff together very well. It is a contact cement. Put glue on and fit the pieces together, pull them apart and let the glue sit until it gets tacky. Then be ready to put it where you want it because once it meets it's stuck forever. If you need wiggle room put the glue on put the pieces together tape em or put "gum bands" on em and go fly something else for a while til it dries!

Bill

olmod
04-03-2006, 01:44 PM
silicon rubber O rings can be bought in a wide range of sizes, ok they are dearer to buy but they last a long time ;)

funnysticks
04-04-2006, 04:38 AM
Yeah! those GWS rubber bands are no good. I had seen that type of bands before and didn't trust them to hold a wing on. I did find a great band on my daily newspaper tho, and they are red and match the wing on my slo stick. they are a little too short so I loop one over the other to get the length needed. The best part is being on fixed income they are free and I get a new one every day "LOL" No joke they do hold up very well as I have been using some of them for months. I have been using GWS stuff for a while and they have some very good products. We have found their direct drive props are the best we have found for the outrunner motors.
The AXI 2204-54 with a DD9/5 prop is a great combo for indoor 3D shock flyers. My 2 cents----- Dan

Bill G
04-04-2006, 06:04 AM
Gum bands.........as soon as I saw that, I knew you were from western Pa. I used to live north of Pittsburgh (Beaver Falls). It took a while to get used to the regional slang/lingo, yuns guys.:eek:

My 2 cents.

I guess we do have a bunch of regional slang words here in W PA. Actually, I used the word Gum to go with the G in Gargabe in the thread title.. Wasn't aware that it is a local term.
We do have some unique ones here. We call soda "pop". If you ask for a soda around here, they'll think you qu...

Yuns is actually a more proper term for "you people" than the other one we have here, "yoos".
Like as in, "So whats yoos wanna do?"

firemanbill
04-04-2006, 11:45 AM
We all got 'em Bill. Here in the south we have cokes, general term for soda's. When you go to a fast food place and order a coke they ask what kind?

And of course the famous Ya'll, as in "Ya'll come back now ya hea!"

There is about a million more but I guess I ought to get to work now...

darkside212
04-04-2006, 02:38 PM
I was like: "what's a gum band" lol
I noticed that they seem to disintegrate over a couple months.....glad I never used them for flight!

GREAT TIP!
thanks

Bill G
04-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Yeah, they do dry rot. Technically, the GWS planes are kits. It's not like they're RTFs, where there supposed to have all components needed for flight. That said, just don't supply the rubber bands, if you're going to supply them as time bombs.