PDA

View Full Version : Severe weather

firemanbill
04-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Hey Don, how's the weather down there near Dyer??? We've been watching the weather on the news around here. Seems like it's been pretty rough.

Hopefully you guys were out of the way of any of it.

Don Sims
04-03-2006, 04:32 PM
We live out in the sticks and I watched that bad boy of a storm head twords Dyer. I talked to several buddies last night and while they had property damage, all were unhurt. We had a few minutes warning and our sirens went off in plenty of time to seek shelter.

The town got hit fairly badly and as soon as I'm off work, I'll be heading over there to help clear folks yard with my chain saw. The trucks loaded and ready to go.

Don Sims
04-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks for asking Bill!!

firemanbill
04-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Hey I'm just glad you are OK! I heard something like 19 dead in Tennessee alone! My family is all in East TN but they didn't get it nearly like you guys did.

Be safe with that Chainsaw...

Bill

Don Sims
04-04-2006, 04:03 AM
Got in a bit ago, Dyer got hit harder than we thought last night or this morning.

8 confirmed dead so far here in Gibson County and there are several areas that are inaccessable to S&R folks today. After I got out of school my wife and I cleared off a buddies place. Tomorrow, I'll be working with our Churches chain saw team, and taking Wed off to help clear homes. Our Church and parsonage was right in the path of the thing and it skipped over the top of both. Dyer isn't even the worst hit area, Bradford, Newbern, and Rutherford got it worse than we did.

firemanbill
04-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Sorry to hear you guys had it so rough. Hopefully everyone can get squared away quickly and get things back to normal, i.e a roof over their heads.

I'll be praying for all you and all your neighbors.

Bill

Don Sims
04-07-2006, 02:47 AM
Took Drakkar out before it got dark after chain sawing yesterday to give you folks some idea of the damage. That first shot is of the downtown damage in Dyer, we only lost one building downtown. I did not take any of the neighborhoods with major damage, we've been working in three and the damage is 1/2 mile wide and about two miles long in town. Northeast of Dyer heading towards Bradford is where I took the other photos.

There the damage was 3/4 to a 1 mile wide. I went 18 miles then turned around because it was getting dark and we're under a curfew in some areas of the town and county. As of today they still weren't able to check all the farm houses out there.

Don Sims
04-07-2006, 02:52 AM
BTW Drakkar is my 99 Honda Valkyrie motorcycle. I took all those shots while driving so some of them have my faring windshield in them.

firemanbill
04-07-2006, 02:57 AM
ohhhh I was wondering who Drakkar was...:)

Nature can sure humble us can't it. That sure was one heck of a storm... It reminds me of what it looked like around here when hurricane Isabel came through. No one ever really knows how complete that devastation is til you live through it...

Don Sims
04-07-2006, 03:03 AM
Lots of folks were lucky to escape alive. We were told a lot of stories about narrow escapes and strange things that the storm did such as wiping out a house and only leaving a lit candle on a night stand, a perfectly made bed, and the closet door frame where the parents were huddling with their toddler. None of the three were hurt. Another guy had some bricks from his house with straw embedded in the bricks. Not in the morter between the bricks, in the bricks.

Here's a few other photos, I'll be helping again this weekend and if I get an opportunity, I'll take and post some more shots.

Don Sims
04-07-2006, 03:09 AM
ohhhh I was wondering who Drakkar was...:)

Nature can sure humble us can't it. That sure was one heck of a storm... It reminds me of what it looked like around here when hurricane Isabel came through. No one ever really knows how complete that devastation is til you live through it...

We lived in South Louisiana for 12 years or so and went through Andrew so I know what you mean about storm damage.

firemanbill
04-07-2006, 03:17 AM
Speaking of Andrew...

I was stationed at Eglin AFB on the Florida panhandle back in the '90s and we had this guy,a young e-4 show up that we were not expecting. I'll never forget how tired that poor fella looked. I asked him where he was coming in from and that's when I found out why he looked so tired.

He wa stationed at Clark AB in the Phillipines when Mount Pinatubo (sp) erupted. Him and his wife and kid was evacuated and they lost everything. When he got stateside they let all of them have their pick of assignments... He chose Homestead:eek: Well andrew wiped them out again and they closed the base. He picked Eglin and we had a hurricane headed straight for us at when he showed up.

I tried to stay as far away from that fella as I could

firemanbill
04-08-2006, 03:05 AM
Don, What is up with the weather down there in TN????:eek:

I just saw on the news where tornadoes have torn up Nashville now, 10 more dead...

Your going to have to move to Kansas to get away from them twisters. lol

Don Sims
04-08-2006, 03:20 AM
LOL! All of the middle and West end of the state is under a tornado watch til 4am. Can you say global warming?? The Kansas weather liked us so much it moved here....

firemanbill
04-08-2006, 03:22 AM
either that or ya'll have been really bad and now your getting the wrath:eek:

(just kidding)

Don Sims
04-08-2006, 03:25 AM
LOL could be!! We'll be cleaning up in Dyer again this Saturday, several of the kids are coming home from college to help out.