PDA

View Full Version : ScanDisk Ultra II

tandemssafetyguy
04-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Help out a techno dummy here. This SD memory card is supposed to be 3x faster. Will this help prevent blurry pictures in digital cameras like a faster film? If not, why should I care if the card is faster?

Doppelganger
04-03-2006, 08:23 PM
No, it won't make the pictures less blurry. That would be your shutter speed. Now, having said that, If you're buying a high end SD card with write speed at 20/mb per second, your camera probably can't write that fast anyway. Where the advantage really is with the faster card is, when you transfer data to and from your card. An example would be like this. I use a CF card with my digital camera. I then put that cf card in my pocket pc, and transfer the data to an sd card. I then put that sd card in my computer, (my computer can't read cf cards) and transfer the data to my pc's hard drive. I can't find the data cable that connects my camera to my pc. I also don't want to buy one.:)

It usually takes .9 to 1 second for a middle of the road camera to record an image. Thats from the moment you press the shutter button, to the image being written. And if you're taking successive pics, you're looking at almost 2-3 seconds between shots. Of course, the higher end cameras are faster. Find out the speed of your camera, then you'll know if a faster sd card will help. As always with digital cameras, the steadier your hands are, the better the picture. Hope this was helpful.

Steve

tandemssafetyguy
04-03-2006, 08:29 PM
I am using a Blipcam Aiptek 1.3 I think. Also I have an Apitek MPVR I what to send up. Any difference with these?

Randy Due
04-03-2006, 11:00 PM
I am using a Blipcam Aiptek 1.3 I think. Also I have an Apitek MPVR I what to send up. Any difference with these?

A slow card may have trouble writing video. I have a cheap card that I got for a rebate that skips when capturing video on the MPVR. My faster cards work fine. As far as stills go, I agree with Doppelganger.

Randy

Doppelganger
04-03-2006, 11:11 PM
The MPVR could possibly benifit from the faster sd card. The blipcam won't. This is not a professional opinion. I'm not a photographer, I just did a little research to help answer your question. If you take a pic holding the camera, does it look better than when using it in an AP setup? Could just be that the camera is doing the best it can. At 1.3 megapixels, don't expect high quality. Most cell phone cameras shoot at that 1.3 or higher. Some look decent, some look like crap.

Since you're recording with the MVPR, a fast sd card should help. But, try it with a regular sd card. At 6 megapixels, the video should look great. Good luck and please post some of your photos. AP is always very interesting.

Steve

Doppelganger
04-03-2006, 11:16 PM
A slow card may have trouble writing video. I have a cheap card that I got for a rebate that skips when capturing video on the MPVR.

Randy

Thats what I figured. I like this thread. I'm thinking about AP myself.

Steve

tandemssafetyguy
04-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Since I am purchasing the card for my MPVR, then I will consider the faster card. The Blipcam takes great pictures, IMHO. Sometimesthere is some wavinees in a few pics. I think it might be because I am turning the plane during the shot. I have it set to take a picture every five seconds. The MPVR thought will be running all the time so I want as good of response as possible. I just have to figure a good way and angle to mount it on my Magpie AP.

Randy Due
04-04-2006, 03:12 AM
Since I am purchasing the card for my MPVR, then I will consider the faster card. The Blipcam takes great pictures, IMHO. Sometimesthere is some wavinees in a few pics. I think it might be because I am turning the plane during the shot. I have it set to take a picture every five seconds. The MPVR thought will be running all the time so I want as good of response as possible. I just have to figure a good way and angle to mount it on my Magpie AP.

CMOS cameras will get waves when there is a lot of motion. They like good lighting and very little motion. Best to be moving as slow as possible and shoot with motor off. You can get good shots that way. You might even get some waves while shooting video with the MPVR. The MPVR is a nice device. I use mine to capture the video from my Black Widow system. It records great. A faster card will make sure your video is captured smoothly, without dropped frames but, it won't help with the waves.

Randy