PDA

View Full Version : Sea Dancer plane

Dimeflyer
10-12-2010, 04:17 PM
I recieved an (Sea Dancer) sea plane fuse. almost done and the plans for
same including the wings which need to be built along with the tailfeathers and all need covered and asembled .
My questions are .
If this plane's plan calls for a .40 to .65 nitro -will it row with the .40
engine ?
This plane is kinda large and heavey for a .40 to even fly it at all judgeing
buy how heavey the first owner built the fuse. ?
Would it be doable to put wheels on it to make it an amfib. ??
I am wondering if it would be worth finishing it and maybe putting it up for sale ???

Jim Casey
10-13-2010, 12:08 AM
SeaDancers were an ACE kit. Designed, as most ACE kits were, by the late Fred Reese. Like all of Fred's designs it flew well. Ace actually sold this and the Seamaster at the same time. The transparent canopy was hard to seal and my buddy Ralph's SeaDancer always looked like it needed a defroster. I don't remember Ralph's plane as being real heavy. I kinda think that .40s are getting loaded down after the RTF plane weighs over 6.5 pounds, but that my arbitrary number. A good .40 now has as much power as a .60 had when the SeaDancer was being produced. How heavy you can fly has a lot to do with how aerobatic you want it to be and how much lake you have for a takeoff. Since this is the electric forum, figure at least 80-90 watts per pound in your power system.

You could probably add wheels, and just be adding more weight. If you think it's just too heavy to fly, you could build it and see how many meals the manager at TGIFridays would comp you for it...

Henry Sistrunk
10-13-2010, 12:26 AM
I have a SeaDancer kit. Have had it for a number of years. Every now and then I get it out and study converting it to electric and wheels. I really like it's lines and the conversion shouldn't be too complicated. One day, Maybe.
Henry

Dimeflyer
10-13-2010, 12:59 AM
Well I don't have the kit but all the plans are here so I might be able to make it airworthy but not sure I want so large a plane , for one thing I don't have space to store it and don't have the money to set it up as an elictric plane and won't for
quite some time ! I do have a .40 and a .45 nitro engine sitting here that need a home so I might do it
and put one of thiese in it for sale minus the rx and servos as I only have one set of those that might handle it .and they are for a J3 cub I have to fix the front cowl of and transfer to Epower !
thank you for your responces guys , -Henry does the botom of this plane have balsa or plywood in it or both ?
that is how the other guy did the front of the fuse all the way around in solid sheets.
thats why I think its built to heavey . I havent opened the fuse sheet of the plan
yet ? - I don't want to mess it up - I have looked at the wing pannels sheet and
I have found that his rudder is broken at the midpoint hinge along with the fin post.
so I will need to rebuild that .
Sorry about being so yackie guys will go now
TTFN George

crash-rc
10-14-2010, 02:19 AM
I have built from the plans 3 of the original Cloud Dancers and they will fly just fine on a 45. The Sea Dancer uses the same wing with a span of 72". All 3 of my Cloud Dancers weighed just about 6 pounds, the Sea Dancer should be about the same as the construction is about the same. I shrunk a set of the Sea Dancer plans down to a 50" span and built it out of Dollar Store foam, came out at 3# with a 3s 2650mah battery and it flew great.

Dimeflyer
10-14-2010, 09:14 PM
That did not answer my quistion about the fuse. on this one though crash-rc?
is the fuse . made with double the material on the the front of the S.D.?
or is this a diy that got to heavey and the guy got rid of it because he figured it would not work - he told the fellow he gave it to to put it in the trash but the guy gave it to me because he thought it might be able to be finished and flown ?
but I need to know if it has a chance to fly befor I commit time and material to it .
I can do the wings and all but balsa is not cheep and not easy to get here ,at least good balsa any way!
George

crash-rc
10-14-2010, 09:31 PM
I believe the front half of the fuse is made from 1/8" lite ply, with a big doubler at the wing saddle made from lite ply. just how heavey are you talking about. Is all of your fuse doubled. I am going to go look at my Sea Dancer plans. I know it is a great wing with lots of area and biulds flat on the plans. All up wieght should be about 6-6 1/2 pounds ready to fly

Dimeflyer
10-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Yep the guy used the ply then covered all with 1/8" Balsa on the whole thing to the back of the wing sadle !from there back to tail end is 1/4"x1/4" stalk for long rons and
cross members and uprights and ply stringers in places !
I think he was trying for a amfib. version of the A10 worthog ?
or a flying Abrums MBtank?
I have seen lighter fuses. on 1/4 scale and larger models !
or maybe it just looks that way because I just had a catarack removed ????
George

crash-rc
10-15-2010, 02:16 AM
Ok I just looked at my plans and the forward fuse is lite ply, the doubler is where you would paint the simulated windows on the fuse to the back of the wing saddle. My plans show 3/8" square for the longrons with the diagonal bracing 3/8X1/8. I guess you could put tank treads on it and call it a flying tank. My plans say 7 pounds, with a second layer of 1/8" balsa I don't think it is going to make it. I have flown a Sea Dancer and if you got the plans inthe deal, go find some 1/8" door skin striped off an old hollow core door. Slightly heavier than lite ply but also stronger and cheaper, and just build a complete plane. I garantee you will be rewarded with a great flying water plane. It is a very easy plane to build. My first plans built plane was the Clould Dancer when it was first published, built with a coping saw, xacto knive and sand paper.

Dimeflyer
10-15-2010, 09:03 PM
C-rc
I think I might try building it whith out the light ply ?
just balsa or foam /balsa ? - I don't know where I would fly it or stor it ?
we have small fishing lakes around here but the guys don't like people flying
near them -they say it distracts them !?!?!
Well I don't get any replys from any other forum about this big thing so I
must (stewonit) a while and tinker with my HZ-cub and ss toys and finish
some of my rubber powered planes and try to fix my rc sailplane ! Thank you
for you input guys !!
at least two of you said it is a good plane when done so I might try it this
winter ?
George

crash-rc
10-15-2010, 10:55 PM
The boat style fuse/hull also flys off of snow and grass with out wheels just great, on snow just watch for ice balls which are hard on the bottom

Dimeflyer
10-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Crc
Thats an interesting idea -but would I need to stick with light ply for the lower hull ?
At least I think that might be a prudent thing to do if doing the
grass and snow thing ?
It sounds like you have done this a lot guy, I used to have friend wayback when
that flew nothing but amfibs and float planes - he said that wheels were to boreing
to keep his atention !
He also did some early av. planes with skids like the Wright brothers flyer !!
He died befor the Electric revalution came along !
Well be good and stay safe Sir !!
George

crash-rc
10-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Yea that why I said to use hollow core door skin cheaper and stronger than lite ply for just a very small amount of weight gain over lite ply. I don't find wheels boring I just enjoy water flying more, and flying boats fly off of white and green water almost as good as the wet kind. and you never have to worry about cross wind landings.

Dimeflyer
10-17-2010, 10:43 PM
C-rc
thank you for the great info on this type of hulls alternatives I am wondering if pontoons would work the same way ??
I seem to have missed this stuff on amfibs along the way ,why I don't know I have used floats on all types of planes and even built a few seaplane hulls but never tried to takeoff or land on grass or snow with them .
I just relized this would work -My son baught me an StormLauncher for Christmas
a few years ago and it has sponesuns ( I don't think I have spelled that right )
and they claim it will take off from the grass or water - the water I have got'ten it to
row but it never made it from the grass , I use it more for a hydrafoil-boat than an aircraft any way !!
Now if I live long enough to get back to this plane -I try to finish them in the order I start them - that means I need to live to 214 years to do them all !!
I don't think I will make that far ?
Oh well I will try real hard to get to that beastie so I thank you and must go get some supper now !!
TTFN Sir.!!
George

Detroit Dave
11-27-2010, 08:28 AM
I have a scratch built Sea Dancer that was given to me. It's really heavy...about 9 pounds and it flies like a tank.
The guy who stashed it in the back of my truck while I was eating breakfast one morning had a .61 on it and it never got off the water. I didn't want to invest the money in an electric system for a plane that I wasn't sure would fly. I came up with a very old Fox .78 g;ow engine with a 12 X 8 prop and it comes off the water in about 50 feet and flies alright. It flies like a very heavy plane and if it goes deadstick it flies like a rock.
The fuselage has everything doubled up front and for some odd reason he put two layers of monokote on the entire fuselage.
Therer was one flying in September at the Skymasters Float Fly in Michigan. It was almost two pounds lighter than mine and flew a lot better than mine does.
Cut the weight down and build the wing light and you should have a fun plane for the water.

Dave

Dimeflyer
11-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Thank you Dave
Sorry it took a while to respond Guy , I have been buisy working on the heating system in my house and trying to get my putruck running again !!
I don't think I will push my luck with this one and will try building a much lighter plane from the plans to see if that will be more E friendly !!
thanks again Sir !!
george

Jim Casey
12-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Plans for the SeaDancer are still available on the RCM plans site. $20.50 as I recall. They would answer most of your questions and give you patterns for the parts you want to change/replace.