PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy on Foam Friendly CA?

Big_Bird
04-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Where can I find the lowest cost (cheap) foam friendly CA? I'm even interested in a quantity buy.

rockin' roller
04-05-2006, 11:38 PM
How funny, I just cought you on RC Groups.

Big_Bird
04-06-2006, 01:22 AM
WOW that is funny.:p When I want to know something I spread it around. You might find the same question on RC Universe.

Any suggestions?

TManiaci
04-06-2006, 04:57 AM
My bud over at Temecula Valley Hobbies (http://temeculavalleyhobbies.com/) is a real dealer. He would probably love to help you with a bulk buy on the Dave Brown FS CA (good stuff), and he usually does free shipping... Tell him Tony (TManiaci) sent you. Ask for Tim (aka Huggies).

rockin' roller
04-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Big Bird, I did not understand how much you were trying to get, so I suggested Mikes HS in Carrollton because they are about $1 less on the regular retail sizes of CA then the smaller shops around town. For a huge amount, I thing Tmaniaci has the right idea, in that you will have to order by mail.

Big_Bird
04-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks to both of you. I'll check them out.

WACOFlyer
04-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Check this out for Foam safe CA
http://radicalrc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=61&cart=408092
$7.00 for 1oz bottle

Topdoc
04-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Try Billy Hell RC for Foamhesive.

Big_Bird
04-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Try Billy Hell RC for Foamhesive.
Have you actually used Foamhesive? Their web site claims that it is better than CA. The price of 3 1oz bottles for $12 with free shipping is good. I guess I am a little concerned about getting away from CA because I know that it works well. Sounds like it is a type of rubber contact glue. Besides, they are out of stock.

www.billyhellrc.com

The price of the Radical RC glue is pretty normal. I do order from them. Dave is a good guy.

Topdoc
04-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Haven't tried it yet- but have a bird in a box waiting to be built.

Jeremy Z
04-06-2006, 08:36 PM
I haven't bought any in quantity, but the E-Flite foam friendly CA is the cheapest I've found. Much cheaper than BSI. It's about $9 / oz.

FWIW, GWS glue is fantastic for foam to foam gluings. For gluing other things to foam, stick with CA.

cyclops2
04-08-2006, 01:35 AM
I got the clever idea of setting the CA quickly by putting Baking Powder on 1 side and the CA blob on the other and quickly pressing together.
It set the Home Depot 5 second stuff in about 2 seconds.
Waited 1 minute and cut the seam apart.
Only 1 fused surface and no eating below the surface.

I avoid CA for allergy reasons.

Still, you could check it out.

All my big foam airplanes are cut from a Dow blue foam, Flotation Billet, in 6" or 12" thickness and 2' X 8' overall.

Rich

vax6335
04-08-2006, 02:13 AM
I remember reading somewhere about making homemade kicker. Never really heard what people used, or if it was possible. Someone mentioned baking soda and water in a little spray bottle, would that work?

TManiaci
04-08-2006, 03:21 AM
I got the clever idea of setting the CA quickly by putting Baking Powder on 1 side and the CA blob on the other and quickly pressing together.

I avoid CA for allergy reasons.

Baking Powder is old school. We used it 25 years ago, with a glue called Hot Stuff, the early version of CA. On balsa, we would wet the wood joint with a damp cloth, rub on some powder, and put the joint together in position. Then a drop of CA and POOF, a puff of smoke pops out. Try it, it's cool. It gets real hot when it happens too, so you have to be sensitive to this effect. It makes a hell of a joint too, and I still do it in some cases where it's suitable.

I too have a severe allergic reaction to regular CA now. It has emerged in just the last 6 months. Every time I use it, I am in sinus misery for 3 days. So, I have to use Foam Safe CA exclusively now, in particular the E-Flite glue. It is specifically formulated to be hypo-alergenic (read the label). It sucks when you have a "wicking" assembly requirement. I cheat now and then, but I have to put on a fan and run after I put int he glue.

Big_Bird
04-08-2006, 03:40 AM
I am highly allergic to standard CA. I have gotten around the problem by using a respirator mask, available at Home Depot and Lowes, that has two organic vapor cartridges. Sure as I don't use the mask I wind up paying the price. With it I can spend a lot of time gluing with out any adverse effects.

Bill G
04-15-2006, 09:33 PM
I remember reading somewhere about making homemade kicker. Never really heard what people used, or if it was possible. Someone mentioned baking soda and water in a little spray bottle, would that work?

Lime. I found out by accident. I knocked over a brand new tank from an expensive toiled that we were going to install in a home we were renovating. Luckily, only a small hairline formed between the flusher handle and the 1 inch to the top of the bowl. You could see a little hairline, so I decided to fill it. I put a small amount of plaster dust on a piece of cardboard and several drops of CA next to it. I went to use my finger tip to mix it up. The idea was to quickly transfer it to the crack. Didn't happen, since it almost instantly started smoking on my finger and I tried to get it off. Fortunately the burn was small, since ther was so little of it.
I told someone at the LHS about it the next day, and they told me that lime hardens CA.

When I saw the title of this thread, for a second there, I thought we were going to hear about what Best Buy thinks about the foam friendly state of CA. Didn't know California was a foam friendly state.