PDA

View Full Version : Wireless video cam

gawest
04-06-2006, 01:50 AM
I just bought a wireless video camera and receiver from e-bay. Search for Wireless Security Cam, or Nanny Cam.

The total, with shipping, came to less than $70.00!

I bought a used VCR from Salvation Army - I already had a small TV to watch and tune the receiver.

So for less than $100.00 I get to see videos of what it looks like from the air when I'm flying my IFO.

The camera is about the size of 6 nickels stacked up - much smaller than the 9-volt battery that runs it. I went up about 200 feet, and out away from the receiver about 300 feet (what does that triangulate to?) and had no problems with reception. Although there are "glitchy" spots which I suspect are due to the power lines that I fly near.

I'd download some video, but I don't know how to get it from the VCR into my computer. Any advice?

Gawest

Randy Due
04-06-2006, 02:44 AM
I just bought a wireless video camera and receiver from e-bay. Search for Wireless Security Cam, or Nanny Cam.

The total, with shipping, came to less than $70.00!

I bought a used VCR from Salvation Army - I already had a small TV to watch and tune the receiver.

So for less than $100.00 I get to see videos of what it looks like from the air when I'm flying my IFO.

The camera is about the size of 6 nickels stacked up - much smaller than the 9-volt battery that runs it. I went up about 200 feet, and out away from the receiver about 300 feet (what does that triangulate to?) and had no problems with reception. Although there are "glitchy" spots which I suspect are due to the power lines that I fly near.

I'd download some video, but I don't know how to get it from the VCR into my computer. Any advice?

Gawest

You will need some kind of video capture device or video card. I have a cheap K-world pci card that was only about $30 that works fairly well. I think it came from Newegg. Of course, there are much better cards...just depends on what you want to spend. Or, you could buy something like an Aiptek MPVR to record the video on instead of the VCR. That is how I do it now. They can be bought for about $149, sometimes cheaper if you watch the ads. Cool little device, combining camera, personal video recorder, video camera, mp3 player etc. Of course the camera chip is cmos, which ain't that great compared to ccd, but for recording video from a downlink, the mpvr works great. Target sells them, among other stores. But, be careful...this stuff is addictive!:D

Randy