PDA

View Full Version : Aiptek SD 1.3 Question

meegosh
04-06-2006, 04:42 PM
I am going to buying a Pencam 1.3 (sd version) from Etronic on RCG. He is assembling them with a switch for $60 shipped. I am going to be buying one hopefully today.

I have a question about the camera itself. I have read everywhere that it only accepts a max size of 128mb. Has anyone tried using a 512 or 256 in their cams? It seems like the bigger you go, the better the deal. I just don't want to buy a 512mb card and have it only use 128 because it cannot address the extra space.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Steve Nolan (eBird)
04-07-2006, 12:34 AM
I never tried anything larger than a 128mb card in my Pencam and as I recall, it held enough photos for a few back to back AP flights.

128's are so cheap you can have a few of them in your flight box, but you're right, it is more cost effective to buy a larger card if the cam supports it. Hopefully you'll hear from someone who's tried it.

meegosh
04-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Hey Steve,

Thanks for the reply, I know it will hold a couple AP flights on one card but I was thinking more about just leaving it on, flying for a month, snapping shots all the time and then unloading it.

I know there have been tons of problems with addressing memory cards above 128mb in some devices. I know my digital card reader will not read xD cards above 128 for some reason, you put a 512mb card in, and it will only address the first 128mb of the card.

Thanks for the reply though, if you get your hands on a 256mb SD card, either from a digital camera, or other device, plug it in and give it a try! I have tons, even 1gb sticks laying around for my Palm TX. Etonic said he is shipping them out on Monday so hopefully I'll know the answer to my question before the end of next week :)

More importantly, I hope the weather clears up a little by then!

ukflyer
04-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Hi all, I was thinking of buying an sd pencam and just wondered if anyone knows what the video quality is like? I would apprciate it if anyone has a clip I could see.
Thanks

Nitro Blast
04-08-2006, 04:23 PM
just a side note... I put a 1gb card in my Blip cam (same company makes those) and it read the whole card no prob.

Steve Nolan (eBird)
04-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Hi all, I was thinking of buying an sd pencam and just wondered if anyone knows what the video quality is like? I would apprciate it if anyone has a clip I could see.
Thanks

Video on the Pencam SD is pretty bad, it's like 10 fps. No audio, either.
Definitely do not buy this camera if it's video you are primarily interested in.

ukflyer
04-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Thanks Steve, I'll give that a miss then and look for a suitable vid cam possibly wireless if its possible.
Rich