PDA

View Full Version : Problem With New Camera

Ribcracker
04-07-2006, 02:49 AM
Recently I was looking for a small, light camera with 3 megapixels or more for AP with my SlowStick. I had been using my Olympus D-560 but it weighs 9 ounces and even though it takes great pictures, I wanted something lighter.
So I bought the 3.2 mega pixel VuPoint DC-C310ML-VP for only $60(normally $100) and it only weighs 4 ounces. Perfect...I thought. The problem is, it's true that you get what you pay for. Even though the photos were sharply in focus, they were dingey and washed out with very little color. When there was color it was bluish or purplish. I sent sample photos to the company and they basically said, "What do you expect from a $60 camera?" So I took it back to the store and got a refund. While I was there I saw a 5 mp Nikon Coolpix 5600 (at 4.5 ounces) on clearance for half off. So I bought it.
My first group of pictures turned out quite well with the camera mounted so that it looks out toward the horizon (half earth, half sky) but the second group (with the camera pointed straight down) was washed out and blurry. When I looked at the "properties" of the shots, I noticed that the shutter speed of the first group was around 1/250 sec. and in the second group it was about 1/60 sec. even though the light conditions were the same (sunny).
While my subject isn't moving, the plane is. So...I need a higher shutter speed! According to the specs in my manual, the shutter has a range between 4- 1/3,000 sec. and the aperture has only 2 steps (f/2.9 and f/4.9). So far all of the CoolPix shots are at f/4.9. I'm surprised that it defaults to such a slow speed on a sunny day. I've tried several different set-up features to try to access the larger aperture setting with no luck so far.
When I look back at the "properties" of my AP pictures I notice that the Olympus was giving an average shutter speed of 1/400 at f/3.1. The cheap camera averaged almost 1/1000 at f/2.8 but most of the pictures were dark. Very sharp, though. And the CoolPix? 1/150 at f/4.9. Almost all of the photos (taken from the plane) are out of focus (blurry).
Is there any way that my camera can be manipulated to deliver higher shutter speeds?
I look forward to your advice.
Peace,
Rib

Randy Due
04-07-2006, 03:09 AM
Recently I was looking for a small, light camera with 3 megapixels or more for AP with my SlowStick. I had been using my Olympus D-560 but it weighs 9 ounces and even though it takes great pictures, I wanted something lighter.
So I bought the 3.2 mega pixel VuPoint DC-C310ML-VP for only $60(normally $100) and it only weighs 4 ounces. Perfect...I thought. The problem is, it's true that you get what you pay for. Even though the photos were sharply in focus, they were dingey and washed out with very little color. When there was color it was bluish or purplish. I sent sample photos to the company and they basically said, "What do you expect from a $60 camera?" So I took it back to the store and got a refund. While I was there I saw a 5 mp Nikon Coolpix 5600 (at 4.5 ounces) on clearance for half off. So I bought it.
My first group of pictures turned out quite well with the camera mounted so that it looks out toward the horizon (half earth, half sky) but the second group (with the camera pointed straight down) was washed out and blurry. When I looked at the "properties" of the shots, I noticed that the shutter speed of the first group was around 1/250 sec. and in the second group it was about 1/60 sec. even though the light conditions were the same (sunny).
While my subject isn't moving, the plane is. So...I need a higher shutter speed! According to the specs in my manual, the shutter has a range between 4- 1/3,000 sec. and the aperture has only 2 steps (f/2.9 and f/4.9). So far all of the CoolPix shots are at f/4.9. I'm surprised that it defaults to such a slow speed on a sunny day. I've tried several different set-up features to try to access the larger aperture setting with no luck so far.
When I look back at the "properties" of my AP pictures I notice that the Olympus was giving an average shutter speed of 1/400 at f/3.1. The cheap camera averaged almost 1/1000 at f/2.8 but most of the pictures were dark. Very sharp, though. And the CoolPix? 1/150 at f/4.9. Almost all of the photos (taken from the plane) are out of focus (blurry).
Is there any way that my camera can be manipulated to deliver higher shutter speeds?
I look forward to your advice.
Peace,
Rib

Are you shooting in Sports mode? I have an older Nikon 3mp. It works best for AP set in Sports Spectator mode. Or, it may have something to do with the way you're triggering the camera. I know, at least in some modes, that the camera shutter needs to be pressed half way to allow the camera to focus/adjust or whatever. Anyway, good luck with it.

Randy

Ribcracker
04-08-2006, 02:44 AM
Thanks for your input, Randy. I'm pretty sure that I did try Sports Spectator mode and ended up with multiple pictures per shot, but still fuzzy. I'll fool with that some more though.
I'm pretty sure most digitals have to be partially pressed for focus before tripping the shutter so I always move my stick across slowly. I'm using my left stick (channel four). I adjusted the end point on the servo so that it doesn't underpress or overpress. Last night I did a test where I watched the monitor focus as I moved the stick. I need to hold it briefly at about a quarter inch from full travel for focusing before I bottom it out. I'll practice this but it was never an issue with my other two cameras.
Would you do me a favor? Please check the "properties" of some of your CoolPix AP's and tell me what shutter speeds (approx) you have been getting. I'm really curious.
What about the rest of you folks? What is a "good" shutter speed for AP? I could really use some tips or advice.

Randy Due
04-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Thanks for your input, Randy. I'm pretty sure that I did try Sports Spectator mode and ended up with multiple pictures per shot, but still fuzzy. I'll fool with that some more though.
I'm pretty sure most digitals have to be partially pressed for focus before tripping the shutter so I always move my stick across slowly. I'm using my left stick (channel four). I adjusted the end point on the servo so that it doesn't underpress or overpress. Last night I did a test where I watched the monitor focus as I moved the stick. I need to hold it briefly at about a quarter inch from full travel for focusing before I bottom it out. I'll practice this but it was never an issue with my other two cameras.
Would you do me a favor? Please check the "properties" of some of your CoolPix AP's and tell me what shutter speeds (approx) you have been getting. I'm really curious.
What about the rest of you folks? What is a "good" shutter speed for AP? I could really use some tips or advice.

Well, I was hoping that your troubles were from something simple. Now, I'm not sure. I checked the image properties and they vary a lot. Out of the few I looked at, the shutter speeds ranged from 1/128 sec. to 1/607 sec. With F2.8 to f 5.8 . Most of the time the iso was either 100 or 200. I was using automatic settings, so the camera was adjusting itself. These were from samples with various lighting conditions, taken with a Coolpix 3100.

Randy