PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply???

dcfreefall
08-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Hello,

I am new to all of this and appreciate all the discusions about the chargers. Now I have a question about what is the best way to power the chargers. I have seen 6 amp and 8 amp chargers, AC/DC power supplies, what direction should I go? I am looking for something that I can use at home or on the field. Please Help.:confused:

debhicks
08-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Get you a jump battery. Modify it with some quick disconnects and you can use that at the house or at the field. Jump batteries come with their own chargers. You should have to charge is twice a year maybe. We have been using an 800 cranking amp for about 5 years and 1000 cranking amp for about 3 years. Good investment and have come down quite a bit in price.

If you don't want to use up your jump battery at the house then get a power supply for the house. Pyramid makes a nice one with a good warranty for $39.99 or you could try to find one factory reconditioned. Same warranty.

Hope that helps. You can look at the power supply on our website.

rcers
08-18-2005, 03:35 PM
There are many 12v power supplies out there. Go to ebay and look, you can usually get pretty good ones for $30 or so bucks.

You can also convert an old PC power supply for cheap. These supplies are readily available and cheap - even when new.

Details here:
http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com/

Mike

dcfreefall
08-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Excuse my ignorance. What is a Jump battery? Where do I get one?

Dave

debhicks
08-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Oh sorry about that. You can get them at lowes, walmart or an autoparts store. They are a spare battery you can carry in the truck to jump start your car.

Some even have a radio built into them for emergeny uses.

dcfreefall
08-18-2005, 04:22 PM
Thank you, and again ignore my ignorance. What are the quick disconnects? Where can I get those?

dave

debhicks
08-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Quick disconnects is a plug. Well it's hard to explain it. I will have them up on the site under wire here shortly so you can go look at the picture. I'll get a picture of ours so you can see what Will did with his. That is so you don't have to use aligator clips. You don't have to do the mod. My husband is one of those people who just knows that if anything will happen it will, and does everything in his power to prevent accidents. Especially with his batteries and chargers.

I'll go put that up on the site now.

debhicks
08-18-2005, 04:30 PM
http://willstech.com/products/product_info.php?products_id=621&osCsid=7b16fc87dd589861b78534afb2bc41e1

That should take you right to it. You cut it in half an use the protected side for the power coming out and the other side on the charger.

SaMx
08-18-2005, 05:21 PM
I ordered a pyramid ps7-kx from ebay. totall price (including shipping) came to around $30. It's good for most chargers because it has a 5 amp limit, with 7 amp burst. So unless you're charging massive batteries it should work. It's worked great for me so far.

ragbag
08-18-2005, 08:27 PM
I picked up a Pyramid aslo:

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=pyrps14kx&store=&catid=4071

12 volt 14 amp, should do all you would ever want, I have run two chargers at one time, it has the amps.

It was a couple of years ago and have had no problems. Still $39.99 new.
George:cool: :)

dcfreefall
08-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Does having a bigger power supply with 12 amps allow you to do more things? Does it matter what the power supply amp is to run a charger like the Multiplex LN5014 or the Triton? What is the difference with all the amps?????:confused:

rcers
08-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Yes it does. the more amps the PS is able to provide the more chargers or batteries that it can supply power to.

If you are doing large packs at high currents you need a PS that can power the charger with it's demands.

Mike

ragbag
08-19-2005, 11:58 PM
If you have a big load you hook up more horses/amps.
George

Slent thndr
08-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Guys I have heared that you can power these chargers with an old PC power suply. Is this true?

ragbag
08-20-2005, 05:52 PM
The same question is answered somewhat in this thread:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109

By George

spiffy509
01-14-2007, 09:07 PM
What type of amp output do you get form one of these automotive jumpstarters? Is it basicaly a car battery in a carying case? Is the power "clean" I know that car battery chargers are not good to use because of this.

Rodneh
01-14-2007, 09:38 PM
I agree that a "Jump Battery" is a good way to go but; you do need to charge it quite often if you use it for field charging. Most of these are quite limited in capacity (they would weigh a ton if you only had to charge them twice a year) to make them more portable. If you do a lot of field charging, keep an eye on the voltage under load. When it drops to 12 volts, it is time to recharge them. If you do not, their lifetime will be quite short. If you discharge them much below 12 volts, you usually get irreversable damage, loss of capacity at least.

Probedude
01-14-2007, 10:45 PM
What type of amp output do you get form one of these automotive jumpstarters? Is it basicaly a car battery in a carying case? Is the power "clean" I know that car battery chargers are not good to use because of this.

You get high amperage output and yes it is a battery in a carrying case. Yes the power is clean because you a drawing right off the battery. The problem (which may not be a problem for you) is that there is limited AH's out of them and shouldn't regularly be deep discharged or their life is shortened.
Dave