PDA

View Full Version : I am Shamed...

JGMM_BC
04-08-2006, 11:51 PM
So here I am building an OV-10 Bronco... But the itch has been getting worse lately, so I go buy a ParkZone P-51 to scratch the itch. I fingured I'd gain some valuable experience as this is my very first time flying...

It went together beautifully, the 45 minutes it took to charge the battery was not even a chore... I decided to fly it in light to medium winds in what I believed was a good safe field. I was an ace for about 2.5 minutes:). Then a tree stepped out infront of the plane as I was pulling out of a dive:eek:.

Sad to say that not much survived. At first it was just a broken wing; Then the plane fell from the tree, and broke everything up front!:mad: I guess I will just have to buy another in a few weeks.

Why can I not seem to learn things the easy and cheap way;)

cyclops2
04-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Because you are just as human, as the rest of us tree prunners. :)

skiman762
04-09-2006, 12:30 AM
You did good to get 2.5 mins if that was your first time flying

Pokke
04-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Maybe the guts of the PZ P-51 would fill this: http://www.airborne-models.com/html/productdetails.asp?ProductID=81

I have one with a Nippy Black on the front. Screams through the air and looks fabulous!

firemanbill
04-09-2006, 12:47 AM
You should really consider a trainer type a/c to start with. Especially before you try to fly that Bronco!:)

JGMM_BC
04-09-2006, 12:56 AM
See here was the plan...

I bought Real FLight G3 and have been doing very well (toot, toot...):p Then I thought, yes better practice on something that I am not so emotionally attached too. Good thing too. So, just completed taking out all the guts and testing the reciever and motor. Everything seems in good working order... My first plane for the bone yard...:o

Great advice from all you guys. Thanks. I'll let you know how I make out with the next plane. I think that it will be another foam one like the PZ-51. It was fun! Just too short for the $ paid.:cool:

firemanbill
04-09-2006, 01:01 AM
Best of luck to you John. Keep us posted on how your doing.

What kind of bronco are you building? Kit, arf? I like that aircraft. I was stationed at Osan AB, Korea from '84 to '85 while we, USAF, were still flying them.

JGMM_BC
04-09-2006, 01:05 AM
FMB,

I'm building it from scratch from plans designed by Keith Sparks. It should be ready for trials, sans the tree clipping, around Sept, as I am in the Cdn Navy and heading to sea for a short while.

It is a beautiful aircraft. I chose it as my first build, first fly because it is supposed to have trainer like qualities.

I will pick a field with ZERO trees for the first flights, and in the meantime I will just practice with the next PZ-51...

firemanbill
04-09-2006, 01:08 AM
Canada has a Navy???:eek: Just kidding... Retired USAF myself.

Stay safe while you're underway...

Take some pics of that build and post 'em... would love to see it.

JGMM_BC
04-09-2006, 01:13 AM
Rgr...

Will post pictures soon.

fabricator
04-09-2006, 01:15 AM
This is coming from someone who started flying last summer, I think a bronco as a first plane is a very bad idea, especially as you will have a lot of time and emotional attachment to it, go buy something cheap and made of foam with a high wing with some dihedral, so you can crash it a lot and tape it back together untill it is more tape than foam:) The simulators are great practice but they are not the real thing, that bronco can wait until you have pulverized a few foamies and gained real air time experience.

Twmaster
04-09-2006, 01:39 AM
See if you can park that busted P51 gear into something like a Slow Stick or some other sort of trainer. Learning via a simulator is a great tool but is no substitute for real stick time.

Best of luck!

firemanbill
04-09-2006, 01:42 AM
LOL at Mike, trying to recruit another mafia member:D

firemanbill
04-09-2006, 01:43 AM
That is a good idea though...

Twmaster
04-09-2006, 02:00 AM
LOL at Mike, trying to recruit another mafia member:D

Jiggers!!! They're on to my evil plan! :rolleyes:

Twmaster
04-09-2006, 02:03 AM
So here I am building an OV-10 Bronco... But the itch has been getting worse lately, so I go buy a ParkZone P-51 to scratch the itch. I fingured I'd gain some valuable experience as this is my very first time flying...

It went together beautifully, the 45 minutes it took to charge the battery was not even a chore... I decided to fly it in light to medium winds in what I believed was a good safe field. I was an ace for about 2.5 minutes:). Then a tree stepped out infront of the plane as I was pulling out of a dive:eek:.

Sad to say that not much survived. At first it was just a broken wing; Then the plane fell from the tree, and broke everything up front!:mad: I guess I will just have to buy another in a few weeks.

Why can I not seem to learn things the easy and cheap way;)

One point that seems to have been missed. Your LHS can get you all the parts to repair that P-51. My LHS for example -has- all the parts in stock except for the electronics.

JGMM_BC
04-09-2006, 02:19 AM
Ah...

Well this is the problem... The PZ-51 was in such bad shape that is makes more sense to buy a new one and use the old one for parts... That is how bad the crash was... Very sad...

fabricator
04-09-2006, 02:30 AM
Ah...

Well this is the problem... The PZ-51 was in such bad shape that is makes more sense to buy a new one and use the old one for parts... That is how bad the crash was... Very sad...

Precisely, what would you feel like if it were the Bronco? And it will be without more actual stick time, believe me, been there, done that, crashed the tee shirt.:D

JGMM_BC
04-09-2006, 02:35 AM
Yeah I hear ya. That is why I bought the PZ-51, and will buy another to train with. The Bronco won't be ready for a while yet anyway. I will post some pictures soon so you can see my first build. That was 3/4 the fun and reason for me getting into the hobby.

fabricator
04-09-2006, 02:49 AM
Do that, I love good build pics, especially of a cool bird like the OV 10.

skiman762
04-09-2006, 03:50 AM
Canada has a Navy???:eek: Just kidding... Retired USAF myself.

Stay safe while you're underway...

Take some pics of that build and post 'em... would love to see it.

What did do in the blue
I was b-52G/H 23 years

firemanbill
04-09-2006, 03:57 AM
ummm... Firefighter. 20 yrs 21 days. Now I'm doing the civil service thing. 911 Manager at Langley.

skiman762
04-09-2006, 04:19 AM
Well I wasn't sure if that was what you where doing in your second childhood. So I took a chance and asked ever been to Fairchild they sent me there in 80 and I never could get out not that I minded it is a great place for a sportsman

firemanbill
04-09-2006, 03:38 PM
din't mean to sound like a smarty...:) sorry. I went to Spokane for a class on fire alarm systems one time at the Monaco plant. Went out to the base a time or two while I was there. Seemed like a pretty nice place.

I was stationed at Eglin, Osan, Bitburg, Oak Ridge, TN, and Langley. Spent a little while the desert too thanks to saddam...