PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Corsair

elenasgrumpy
04-10-2006, 02:39 AM
Just got my hands on one RTF with my JR crystal in it. Just need to pop in my battery & program it in my JR6102. Does anyone know what the aileron & elevator throws are supposed to be set at for this model? Thanks.

WWI Ace
04-10-2006, 03:06 AM
Send an email to the guys at www.hobbylobby.com (http://www.hobbylobby.com) and ask them. They will help you. I have one of these and it's a great flying plane even in the wind!!!

elenasgrumpy
04-10-2006, 03:20 AM
Thanks, I'll try that. I went to their site hoping to be able to download the manual for it but i couldn't find any link for that.

Old Fart
04-10-2006, 04:29 PM
C) Aileron control

The aileron servo should be powerful enough to overcome the friction in the control circuit - we recommend to utilise a servo of more than the 15 Ncm minimum torque. You can minimise the friction in the control cables by removing them from the tubes and lubricating them lightly with thin oil, e.g. the WD-40.

Place the connector 9 into hole in the servo single arm, at the distance of about 8 mm from the axis of servo's arm rotation. If the openings in the servo arm are too large, it is better to drill a new one of 1 mm diameter rather than bushing-out the old ones.
Insert a 6mm long piece of tubing 10 into the hole in the connector.
Insert the connector with the servo arm to the control rods, first to one, then to the other (fig. C1).
Modify the wing top skin opening as necessary for the size of the servo used; enlarge it carefully to the dimensions required, using a sharp modelling knife - if need be, open up also the bottom wing skin - the servo should fit into the opening tightly. The servo could be placed in the wing in an inclined or horizontal position (fig C2). Insert the servo into the wing opening and place it so that once the servo arm is inserted on its shaft (the axis of the servo arm should be parallel with the longitudinal axis of the servo) the control rods form a smooth curve, so that the set-screws 11 and 12 could be tightened. If the servo is to protrude from the upper contour of the wing section, it has to be in the area where the fuselage is open at the bottom. Devote a maximum attention to the positioning/attachment of the servo, ensuring thus a smooth control of the model.
Secure the servo against movement by applying a thin layer of PU glue or Epoxy around the perimeter of the opening in the top and bottom wing skin - in case the servo needs to be removed it is easy to pry it free without damage.
Tighten lightly the screw 12 so that the aileron trailing edges would be some 1,5 to 2,0 millimetres above the wing trailing edge (fig. C3).
Check function of ailerons: they should be at the maximum deflection of about 10 mm at the maximum deflection of the servo (fig. C3) - check for the correct sense of their deflection - it has to correspond with the deflection of the control stick! If they are not moving correctly, and you could not program the sense of the servo movement in the RC set, change as necessary either the position of the control rods in the control circuit arms or of the connector on the servo arm. Only then secure the connector against letting loose by the spring washer 13 inserted from below (the servo arm is outside of the model; use a thin tube, such as the ball point pen refill), and then secure the servo arm itself by the screw 11. Readjust the correct position of the ailerons and tighten the screw 12. Secure the control rods against disconnecting from the control arm by gluing a piece of tubing onto them (Fig. C4).
You can secure the connector by gluing a piece of tubing instead of the spring washer 13. If the tube is glued well, this simple method is fully satisfactory and, in case the disassembly would be needed, the tube would be simply cut away.

D) Elevator control

For the elevator control a servo of the minimum 7 Ncm torque is required. Both moving surfaces are interconnected by a glued-in coupler. If one of the elevator halves deflects excessively (outside of the recommended angles), the coupler may become loose and the deflections (especially the maximum ones), may differ substantially. Restore their stiffness by gluing (Epoxy) a "U"-shaped connector made of steel wire of 1,5 mm diameter.

The servo is glued to the starboard (right) opening in the servo tray (plate) using CA, PU or Epoxy glue. Place servo so that its screws 12 and 14 could be tightened.
Insert the connector 9 into the hole some 7 mm distant from the axis of rotation of the shaft of the single-sided servo arm. Drill a new hole if necessary, insert a 6 mm long piece of plastic tubing 15 into the hole in the connector. Slide the assembly onto the control rod and place the arm on the servo shaft so that it would be about perpendicular to the elevator control rod axis (see fig. D1). Glue (PU, Epoxy) the elevator control rod outer tube to the inside fuselage wall above the longeron.
Tighten slightly the connector bolt 12 - the servo arm and the elevator should be in neutral position.
Check that the maximum deflection (throw) of the servo corresponds to the elevator deflection of about 10 mm each way (fig. D2) - check that the sense of elevator deflection is correct and corresponds to the sense of movement of the control stick! If the deflection is not correct, and you can not program the servo by RC set programming, change as necessary either the position of the control rod in the control lever, or the position of the connector on the servo arm. Only then secure the connector from falling out with the flexible washer 13, slid on from below (the servo arm should be outside of the model), or by gluing a piece of tubing, and secure the servo arm by tightening the screw 14. Set the elevator to correct position and tighten the bolt 12. Secure the control rod in the control lever by gluing a piece of tubing onto it (fig. D3).

elenasgrumpy
04-10-2006, 11:57 PM
Thank you sir, I certainly appreciate it!

Old Fart
04-11-2006, 01:49 AM
No problem. Alfa's site is a PITA to navigate - but I already had it linked (own a Alfa F-86 Sabre)