PDA

View Full Version : Screwed Receiver

Grasshopper
04-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Do any of you Parkzone P-51 owners have an issue with the mounting method of the receiver? I noticed after putting my wing on that the wing mounting screws go right into the receiver. They have mounted the receiver with a cable tie directly under the brace that the wing screws to. When you put the screws in, they go all the way through to the receiver. One of mine actually went through the receiver cover and contacted the circuit board. It looks like it mashed two of the traces together but I can't tell for sure even under a magnifier. Everything seems to work OK but I'm a little afraid to fly it again now. I've sent an e-mail to Parkzone but haven't gotten a reply. It's only been a day. It just seems to me that someone wasn't thinking when they decided where to mount the receiver.

I've relocated it to the two posts right behind the battery compartment with another cable tie, but I'm still concerned about a damaged circuit board.

Tom

Sky Sharkster
04-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Hi Tom, good thing you noticed the RX/Wing screw arrangement. That could have been a disaster! I used to use double-sided tape for RX but now use velcro; Seems to absorb vibration better. I wouldn't place the RX directly on anything solid (wood) without a cushion. Foam, double-sided tape, velcro. Since you've found it, might be a good idea to do a range test again; Just in case! Try all the controls with the motor running and without.
Good Luck
Ron

Grasshopper
04-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks Ron,

I'll certainly check all those things. I noticed the last flight on it Sunday morning there were a couple of times the motor cut out. It's like the motor just stopped for an instant and restarted. I never seemed to loose any control just the motor. I have gone back and checked all the connections and that's when I found the screw. I also thought that it might be radio interference because both times I noticed it I was banking left in the same area and it came out of it instantly. My PZ J3 is on the same channel as my P-51 and I don't get any interference on it so I tend to believe that isn't the culprit.Anything else I might look for?

Sky Sharkster
04-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Hi Tom, if you're sure the servos were still working during the motor "blip" that narrows it down to motor (unlikely, without further problems) ESC (maybe) Battery (unlikely unless there were other problems evident) or, my favorite "culprit" wires/solder joints/mechanical joints. Naturally, these are the hardest to check!
Now, another possibility; The servos were affected (in other words, a true "Glitch" or interference) but it happened so fast or the failsafe kept them near the original position, so you wouldn't notice the aircraft's reaction but could hear the motors'. Was the plane going directly away from you? Even with the Spektrum there will be certain alignments, like when the antennas are in the poorest position relative to the TX, that can cause a "Blip".
If it ever occurs again in the same location on the field, that's likely the problem. A "Null" spot or radio "black hole". They exist. It may be the direct line of sight from a strong radio/TV Transmitter, a powerful signal "repeater" or something else along those lines. We've used frequency scanners and found a couple of bad spots.
Good Luck!
Ron

Grasshopper
04-11-2006, 12:03 AM
I can't be sure the servos weren't affected because it happened so fast. Every time, the plane was coming towards me. I try to keep the transmitter antenna perpendicular to the plane. I was flying at a local university practice soccer field. It is a huge open field but may be getting hit with some of the signals from the campus communications department. They have a bunch of antennas and dishes strung around the communications building. I'll recheck everything again and also wait on a reply from Parkzone on the receiver.

Thanks again.

Tom

crxmanpat
04-11-2006, 12:58 AM
Tom,

I noticed the same problem with the screws. My solution was to replace them with shorter screws. Not the most ingenius thinking on ParkZone's part :p

Pat