PDA

View Full Version : Sold 1964 Classic VW Beetle

firemanbill
01-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Looking to sell my '64 Ragtop Beetle. I just don't drive it anymore so it's time to let it go to a good home.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1083771

MustangMan
01-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Wow Bill. A real piece of history there! Looks like it's in good shape.

firemanbill
01-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Wow Bill. A real piece of history there! Looks like it's in good shape.

Yes it is in VERY good shape! She has not been wet in over 5 years now. Garage kept and pampered ever since I have owned it.

gramps2361
01-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Hard to believe you would be selling that you speak very highly of you love for
your older VW.

You must have one heck of a build coming up soon if your selling this.

firemanbill
01-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Hard to believe you would be selling that you speak very highly of you love for
your older VW.

You must have one heck of a build coming up soon if your selling this.

In a manner of speaking yes, My daughter will be going to George Mason University this fall!

The things we do for our kids huh?:)

crxmanpat
01-21-2011, 02:05 PM
NOOOOOO! Bill, you can't sell the Beetle! If you do, you'll regret it for a long time to come!

At one point last year I was looking to sell my CRX. But in the end I didn't, and I'm glad. Looks like gas prices are going to go back up to insane levels again soon (already jumped 20 here in the past week). I'm right at 192K original miles and she's still going strong.

I was going to sell her because of needing a bigger vehicle to cart around my business stuff to shows. But I think I'm going to get a little tag-a-long to tow behind it instead.

But alas, you're correct. Kids come first. Good luck on the sale.

firemanbill
01-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Well Pat I will still have the Karmann Ghia so it may not hurt too bad...:)

idealhobbies
01-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Wow. I wish that I had the money. I've owned 2 VW bugs. Loved them both and would buy another in a heart beat.

firemanbill
01-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Wow. I wish that I had the money. I've owned 2 VW bugs. Loved them both and would buy another in a heart beat.

yeah, I wish you had the money too!:Q;)

Grasshopper
01-21-2011, 02:23 PM
Good luck with your sale Bill.

Bobby M.
01-21-2011, 02:24 PM
I know how you feel Bill. I just sold my '64 Beetle about 4 months ago. I built that car myself... every nut and bolt, including the paint and engine rebuild. I had been driving an aircooled VW as my primary vehicle for 18 yrs. A few years after having our little girl, I decided I needed to balance my time better and spend less time on car maintenance and more time on family fun. I still work on and drive my '52 Cadillac, but I have one less car to maintain. VWs will always be in my heart.

firemanbill
01-21-2011, 02:35 PM
I know how you feel Bill. I just sold my '64 Beetle about 4 months ago. I built that car myself... every nut and bolt, including the paint and engine rebuild. I had been driving an aircooled VW as my primary vehicle for 18 yrs. A few years after having our little girl, I decided I needed to balance my time better and spend less time on car maintenance and more time on family fun. I still work on and drive my '52 Cadillac, but I have one less car to maintain. VWs will always be in my heart.

Another Bug Lover! Cool. I built this one too Bobby, not every bolt like you but I have redone the engine myself from the crank up, same for the interior too, The body I had to work on some as well and a fellow club mate helped me (well I watched him really) do the paint on it.

There is just something about an old Air cooled VW that says it needs to be driven!

I have not had this one out of the garage since July '09 when we went to pick up our new Jetta... it's time for it to go.

gramps2361
01-21-2011, 03:17 PM
In a manner of speaking yes, My daughter will be going to George Mason University this fall!

The things we do for our kids huh?:)

You have that one right Bill my third one graduates this spring from HS it will be 2 of them in college at the same time soon.:concern::D

firemanbill
01-21-2011, 03:20 PM
You have that one right Bill my third one graduates this spring from HS it will be 2 of them in college at the same time soon.:concern::D

Yeah My oldest is still trudging along at the local Comm College too. He's on the 4 year plan a the 2 year college...:rolleyes:

gramps2361
01-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Bill my oldest was that way too he did not get much help after year 2, but he turned out fine. He just did it his way the hard way.

Well back to your sale good luck and hope you get the most for the VW.

firemanbill
01-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks Bud, I sure hope so too.

kenchiroalpha
01-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Hi Bill
Oh No Not the Bug
Surely hope you get a very good price for her
Wish i had seen her before i got the new Subaru:tc: As i love those cars as well
Take care dear firiend
Yours Hank

firemanbill
02-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Well she is gone, It was not as hard to let her go as I thought it would be. (Especially with that big 'ol check in hand)

Hank you'l like this, the guy that bought it is a young Navy troop stationed aboard the USS Harry S Truman. He works the flight deck as a marshaller.

He was soooo excited to drive it away so I know that made it easier for me. Knowing that the man that bought it truly fell in love with her, just like the first time I saw her.

She'll be very happy with him, and he with her.:)

MustangMan
02-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Most excellent Bill!

Glad to year it wasn't too traumatic for you. Don't wake us up tonight screaming "WHAT HAVE I DONE??" now.:rolleyes::D Ok, you CAN call if it's a REAL EMERGENCY!;)

I noticed the other day that there's an old bug in the side yard of a house in our neighborhood. There doesn't seem to be anyone there most of the time and there's a "For Rent" sign in the yard so I stopped and had a look at it. Turns out there's a "For Sale" sign in the side window, not visible from the street, with a phone number. It has obviously had some restoration work and looks to be in fine shape. Yesterday when I drove by there was pickup with a "Mobile Detailing Service" sign on the side and a guy was doing something to the bug. Perhaps the seller is getting serious about moving it.

firemanbill
02-01-2011, 11:23 PM
They are getting worth more and more all the time, and harder to find in really good shape.

I more than doubled my money (and then some) on this one, plus I enjoyed it for over 10 years. And he was very happy to get it for what he did.

Win Win Win on this deal.

gramps2361
02-02-2011, 01:33 AM
Well congrat's on the sale Bill glad it all worked out for you. Still has to be hard to let go of the VW nice that the new owner was so happy to get it.

Well on a good note now you have more room in that garage for more planes.:)

firemanbill
02-02-2011, 01:36 AM
Well congrat's on the sale Bill glad it all worked out for you. Still has to be hard to let go of the VW nice that the new owner was so happy to get it.

Well on a good note now you have more room in that garage for more planes.:)

Yeah it's all good. It was hard to see it go, lot's of good memories with it but just none of them lately. I've just not had the interest or desire to mess with it in the last couple of years.

I'm sure I may regret it down the road, I hope not though. All I do know is that for right now, it was the right decision.

balloon bandit
02-14-2011, 05:11 PM
All I do know is that for right now, it was the right decision.

I've had a 1969, 1972, 1973 bugs in my garage at various times.

Not that I'm encouraging you to do any more, but in following this post I noted there is still a KG in the garage and peeking it's pretty nose into the bug photo. :$ I just thinking some day, some time, IF you ever decide it needs a new home.. I promise I could keep it clean, fed, and loved! :D
Take care Bill.

Cliff

firemanbill
02-14-2011, 06:51 PM
I've had a 1969, 1972, 1973 bugs in my garage at various times.

Not that I'm encouraging you to do any more, but in following this post I noted there is still a KG in the garage and peeking it's pretty nose into the bug photo. :$ I just thinking some day, some time, IF you ever decide it needs a new home.. I promise I could keep it clean, fed, and loved! :D
Take care Bill.

Cliff

Hmmm.... I may be up for selling it too but it needs some work, well a lot of work. The overall body is decent but it needs paint, and the interior is fair but not good (aftermarket seats of some kind that could use replacing. The engine that is currently in it is a very tired old 1600 single port that has seen it's better days but still runs good, albeit with a slight knock. What makes this Ghia special is the Porsche 5 speed conversion. It has a gearbox, half shafts, and brakes in the rear off a 73 911. It's lowered on all 4 corners (the right way) and has 4 wheel disc brakes, wide rims and tires and drives like a slot car! Dash is covered in VDO guages such as the BIG tach, 160mph Sppedo tranny temp, engine temp and oil pressure.

Anyway, she's a gem waiting to be redone. I want to do it but don't know if I will have the time or energy to do it. I'm sure if someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse they might just be able to buy it.

kenchiroalpha
02-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Well she is gone, It was not as hard to let her go as I thought it would be. (Especially with that big 'ol check in hand)

Hank you'l like this, the guy that bought it is a young Navy troop stationed aboard the USS Harry S Truman. He works the flight deck as a marshaller.

He was soooo excited to drive it away so I know that made it easier for me. Knowing that the man that bought it truly fell in love with her, just like the first time I saw her.

She'll be very happy with him, and he with her.:)
Hi Bill
Outstanding:tc:
Thats wonderful news:D
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

balloon bandit
02-15-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm sure if someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse they might just be able to buy it.

Argh! Bill you're killin me over here! Nice body, 5sp Porsche tranny, 4 disks, lowered, gauges, wide tires..
There's a puddle of drool developing near my keyboard. :eek: (sorry if that's too much information)

Now, that being said.. I've not been in the market for a car, but an inexplicable force is drawing me to
type the words: offer. Offer. OFFER!

Ok, reality settles in. I'm ok now..

My "soon to be" best friend Bill, how much is that doggie in the pictures?
I see these going for anywhere from $800.00 to $15k restored.

You can Email or PM if you like, Thanks for your time.
Cliff