PDA

View Full Version : Sea Duck (from the old cartoon, TaleSpin)

Bomb Dropper
01-25-2011, 05:02 AM
Does anyone know if any vendors sell this model? I've been dying to get my hands on one of these for years.

I would make one but I lack the knowledge, hot-wire foam cutting tools and know-how on designing the wing/airfoil from foam. The rest, I think I could manage.

But hey, if someone sells them already, that works for me. :D

There's a build thread (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=467293) over on RCGroups, but there isn't much detail on designing the wing.

Also: The pictures below are from that thread. And there are more, AND a maiden flying video as well.

rawy
01-25-2011, 06:14 AM
There was this other one looking pretty close, maybe it suit's your taste

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523416

JBoyd
01-25-2011, 06:29 AM
It might be possible to take a Cutter's Goose model and a P-38 model and mix em together.

Bomb Dropper
01-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Rawy - That one is a single rear engine design. The "sea duck" was a twin front engine design. I'm going for the specific look that the L-16 has. But thanks for replying.

Jboyd - I thought about using the wing and boom from a P-38 but its not going to look very scale at all compared to an actual L-16.

I'm currently surfing google in an attempt to find some kind of plans for the "sea duck" so I can do this project the right way.

Maybe i'm just OCD but I want to do this one by the book. :)

Bomb Dropper
01-25-2011, 01:27 PM
The only thing I have to work with right now are a couple of pictures from the thread I mentioned on RCGroups. It gives me a pretty good idea on making the entire fuse, boom and whatnot, but making the wing is still going to present one heck of a challenge.

I'm sure if i'm persistent enough, I can find some kind of CAD plans for this model. I have all winter to work on this one anyhow. The only other project I have, is a simple GWS E-Starter (on gws floats) build. But I can knock one of those out over a weekend fairly easily. I have almost a dozen of the GWS line of planes. Mostly the WWII planes.

Alright then, back to my coffee and searching. And thanks again for the replies everyone.

rawy
01-25-2011, 02:04 PM
The wing on this plane can't be so much of work or difficulties, I would go the same way as for the Puddle Twin in 3mm or 6mm depron depending on the plane size

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677376

:DI know this is not twin boom but it could be modified easily

Bomb Dropper
01-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Wow.. that IS a sweet looking bird you've got there! Nice work!!

I haven't had a chance to read through the thread yet. Does she fly as nice as she looks? :)

rawy
01-25-2011, 06:04 PM
The one & only difficulty is to bring her to the lake with the one piece 2m / 80" wing, the plane is the gentlyest flyer I ever had with it's 1,7 kg AUW, Meatbomber who started the thread in RCG visited us a few years ago and flew his Monster on our Lake, since then I knew it was the perfect toy, built it secretly last spring as my sons Bday surprise.

The "normal" 1m Puddle is very easy to build too and I suppose the flying is similar, try to keep it light and the only thing to check during the build is to cut the parts in the right grain direction to avoid issues bending depron.