PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to our battery & charger forum!

admin
07-19-2005, 06:39 PM
Welcome everyone to our battery & charger forum moderated by one of the foremost experts in the battery industry "Red Scholefield"!

Learn the "real deal" about li-po's, NiMh's, NiCads, etc right here!

Red Scholefield
07-19-2005, 08:36 PM
Welcome everyone to our battery & charger forum moderated by one of the foremost experts in the battery industry "Red Scholefield"!

Learn the "real deal" about li-po's, NiMh's, NiCads, etc right here!

Shouldn't we have a second opinion? :o

ragbag
07-19-2005, 10:35 PM
The jury is still out on the second opinion.
George
Gainesville Fl

Red Scholefield
07-29-2005, 02:22 PM
The jury is still out on the second opinion.
George
Gainesville Fl

You have to come to the field to vote. ;)

wevets
08-07-2005, 11:21 PM
Hi,

I have no trouble with Red's opinions. Whenever I've listened, he always seems to steer me straight.

I just found this website, and I'm wondering if it will be independent of or a reflector of rcgroups. If independent, why? If a reflector, why?

Thanks.

wevets

Red Scholefield
08-08-2005, 01:36 AM
Hi,

I have no trouble with Red's opinions. Whenever I've listened, he always seems to steer me straight.

I just found this website, and I'm wondering if it will be independent of or a reflector of rcgroups. If independent, why? If a reflector, why?

Thanks.

wevets

Wevets, strange question. Do you have concerns? :confused: I suspect since it is established by one of the owners of RCU that it will not be independent, whatever that means. Certainly as the moderator of this forum you can count on the same kind of support from me as given on the Battery & Charger RCU forum.:cool:

admin
08-08-2005, 02:16 AM
It is financially supported by myself/rcu but the mission and many of the rules differ quite a bit from RCU (and clearly RCG as well). This is one out of the box site that breaks all the "rules" so to speak of what was previously done. That said it won't necessarily follow or reflect anything that has come before it in this space.

wevets
08-08-2005, 09:15 AM
OK. Thanks. Your replies motivated me to go look at the posting rules and the policies, etc. Sounds refreshing.

wevets

unloco2
08-10-2005, 06:42 AM
Love the forum. My input. I left my LiPo in my airplane in the garage. Outside temp was in the 103/105 for a few days, (So. Nevada), temp in my garage at airplane hanging height had to be over 140.

I brought the plane down for a charge, and the battery pack was swollen. Tried to charge it and it emmidiateley started to get hot. Battery was shot.

One good thing out of all this is that I was using the great planes lipo with the seperate charge and discharge connections, so I uncoverred the battery pack and did a comple check of the charge protection circuit. What a neat find.

It basically uses a seiko over and under voltage detection circuit driving a couple of FETs. The circuit is simplicity itself and I will be able to use the circuit board between my constant current charger and any 7.4 volt LiPo battery.

I think the circuit was developed for other applications where the charge and discharge currents are pretty much the same.

Part number for the circuit is S8232 and you can find out more info at the following site

http://speed.sii.co.jp/pub/compo/ic/en/param_chrt.jsp?subcatID=5

Cheers:)

Carlos Murphy
08-10-2005, 07:12 AM
I'm flying two twins, a Hobbico Twin Star and a Urovitch OV-10 Bronco with Axi 2820-10 motors, Jeti 40 amp controllers and a Thunder power 3S3P 6000 poli.
The battery runs too hot (140 degrees) with APC 10X7 props and with smallers props I get poor performance.
I want to switch to "two" batteries, one for each motor and still use the same controllers and OH YAH, I'm kinda new to volters.
Any recomendations?:confused:

lshadow2005
09-05-2005, 05:23 AM
Anyone know if I fried my Poly Quest Li-Poly by mistakenly hooking it up to my Ni-Mh charger?
It did puff up a little.
It was hooked up for 10 minutes?
Bob

unloco2
09-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Ishadow, yeah, it's fried, The moment it bulges, it's gone. If you try to use it, the battery may explode and or burn whatever it is on/in. There are several sites that tell you about all the problems associated with Li-Po. Even with the problems, Li-Po batteries are great if you follow simple charge AND discharge rules.

lshadow2005
09-06-2005, 01:12 AM
Thanks unloco2
I was afraid I cooked it -BRAND NEW ! I was also told never let a li-po it discharged ?
What are the web sites on batteries ?
Bob