PDA

View Full Version : anyone know the c.g. for caleb? how about it dave long?

Dan Brannan
04-11-2006, 11:45 PM
i purchased my non-flap version of caleb from sal at east coast sailplanes years ago. i finally finished the servo install the other day and found that i lost the paperwork that came with the plane. can anyone please give me the correct cg placement so i don't crash? i have emailed sal, but never hear any reply from those folks. the only data i can find on the site about caleb is in jan when dave long was going to lipo. dave, if you are out there, i have the same 1 pce wing with carbon fiber reinforced fuse and no flaps - its all done except the balance. what is your center of gravity on this exact model? thanks guys!:rolleyes:

Jason T
04-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Dan,

I asked someone I know that use to have one but unfortunately, they could not remember. A good starting point is 30% from the leading edge.

Dan Brannan
04-13-2006, 12:50 AM
ok jason,

i have heard of that, but i worry about estimating something that critical. i guess its because i always was provided the location in all those gas planes i built from kits. if i were more experienced, i may just be able to estimate it like i saw a guy do out at the field, like you said he put finger tips about 1/3 back to see a nose slightly heavy condition, and saw no reason not to fly the craft. at least you said 30% instead of 33.3% which puts just a little more to the nose which may help me some.

jason - if it were your caleb, would you trust this general rule, or continue to search for the manufacturer's specs?

i flew (2) planes so far that had balance problems even with the cg at recommended settings. man i never want that to happen again!

Jason T
04-13-2006, 11:54 AM
I have had c/g problems in the past but mine have all been with the c/g too far back. Further forward to me is safer. But I would call Nesail.com and ask them what the c/g is. They should know. :)