PDA

View Full Version : Your RC Budget?

vax6335
04-12-2006, 01:38 AM
Don't mean to pry, just curious, but what is everyone's monthly RC budget? I'm in the middle of buying my first house now, and I realize that I'm really going to take a BIG cut in money for my favorite hobby, now that I'm gonna be a homeowner. How do you survive like this!?!?

firemanbill
04-12-2006, 01:50 AM
First off let me say Congrats on home ownership! :D

This should be an interesting thread so I'm going to jump right in.:)

There were many years where I struggled and just dreamed of doing things. Please don't take this as bragging but I've worked hard for a lot of years, got into debt, and got out of debt. (except for the house and the Van).

I retired form the Air Force a few years back in Oct 2001. Since then I went back to work civil service and now get a VA disability as well. So I'm triple dipping I guess you could say...

I get the wife what she wants, $1700 worth of flooring for the Kitchen and dining room this week. (man my knees are hurting...:eek: ) so when I want something I go get it.

I am not extravagant by any means though. I try to limit myself to about $50 a month sometimes more sometimes less.

I guess the moral is be patient and spread it out. I know some folks would look at my stuff and say wow. on the other hand I look at other guys stuff and say WOW!

opquickie
04-12-2006, 01:50 AM
being a teenager i only get around $500-600 a month and proably a third of that goes to rc. but trust me if i had more to spend, i would probably have LESS...if that makes sense.

edit: ^^wow you posted like 2 seconds before me!

firemanbill
04-12-2006, 01:52 AM
:D :D :D quick draw McGraw...

Don Sims
04-12-2006, 01:57 AM
I get a weekly allowance of about $40 for all my hobbies. But we've been married for over 20 years and it took 10 to get my last raise...

vax6335
04-12-2006, 02:18 AM
First off let me say Congrats on home ownership! :D ...
...I retired form the Air Force a few years back in Oct 2001. Since then I went back to work civil service and now get a VA disability as well. So I'm triple dipping I guess you could say...

Thanks!
I enlisted in the Air National Guard in December of '01. Just last summer I finally got a full time AGR (Active Guard and Reserve) position out at the base I work at. Being active duty in the Guard is the best way to go in my opinion. Indiana has such a low cost of living, that I'm still amazed I can be a single, Senior Airman homeowner. However I am getting promoted to Staff Sergeant in June....

firemanbill
04-12-2006, 02:27 AM
Thanks!
However I am getting promoted to Staff Sergeant in June....

Well double congrats Sarge! You'll have to change your userid now:)

zappedalaskan
04-12-2006, 02:46 AM
After all the monthly bills, the Mrs. and I sit down and see what we have left over. We split this amount three ways.. A third goes to savings, a third goes to her for cloths and such and I get a third. Most of my third goes into rc. We have been doing this for over 10 years now and it works great. My wife is very supportive of my rc addiction. There are no 12 step programs, so she gave up years ago.
Cool Thread! :)
Jay

rca
04-12-2006, 02:50 AM
First off, congratulations on the home, another step in the American dream. Second, a big thanks to both of you (and all our service men and women) for serving your country, you have my gratitude.

I've been recycling my RC stuff as of late to finance the hobby. I was into cars and trucks for the last few years before getting bit by the flying bug, so I have been slowly selling off my ground forces to finance the air fleet. I also do some web programming work on the side that is good for about $50 a month and my wife lets me spend this on my addiction.

Enjoy.

ron

firemanbill
04-12-2006, 02:53 AM
sounds like the real world rca... selling off the army stuff so's the AF can get stuff... hehe. Then the frist lady approves the budget.

Oh and your welcome by the way...

skiman762
04-12-2006, 03:29 AM
umm never really kept track
I'm sure it runs 50-100 a month
once I got all the building and testing type stuff
I just kinda piece it here and there
sell some stuff buy some stuff
My wife thinks I'm trying to own one of everything before I die..lol:D

giflyrc
04-12-2006, 12:12 PM
I quit smoking 18 years ago when my habit cost about $15 per week and my wife agreed to redirecting the money to hobby. Todays prices for cigs would cost me easily $35 to $50 per week .

I too buy and sell and spend about $1500 per yr.. I think that it still adds up to less than what would have gone up in smoke.

Roger aka GIFLYRC

firemanbill
04-12-2006, 12:17 PM
And your body thanks you as well!.

I quit smoking about 20 years ago because my lovely wife said she wouldn't marry me if I didn't. Two of the best moves I ever made:D

Never really looked at it money wise, it would cost a fortune to smoke nowadays...

Jason T
04-12-2006, 05:18 PM
I don't really have money alloted for RC but I end up recycling RC gear to buy new stuff. However, the problem I am starting to run into is that I don't have much left to sell to fund new projects. Otherwise, I end up waiting for birthday or Christmas $. :)

firemanbill
04-12-2006, 05:33 PM
My birthday's coming up!!!:D :D :D hmmmmmmmmmm I'd Better start dropping some hints.

losi24
04-13-2006, 04:37 AM
happy early birthday firemanbill! i would say my budget is about $20-50 a month, depending on how much work i have lined up with my cousin....yes, thats right, i finally found a job!!! it used to be about $20 every month for chores, but now that i have a job, i get more.

qban_flyer
04-13-2006, 07:06 AM
Some months I am very, very good and spend nothing in the hobby. :)

Then there are the ones when I loose control and the sky is the limit (within my wallet capabilities, that is) when it comes to spending on R/C. :eek:

redgiki
04-13-2006, 08:39 AM
I'm lucky to also have a wife who fully supports this hobby. In her own words, she'd rather I be spending money on "toy planes" than on "strippers and booze".

:)

Anyway...

I have a full-time job, and my wife and I each get $100 "allowance" per month from that pay. So what I do to finance my RC hobby is to work side jobs. Usually, on these jobs I'll make a decent rate ($40-$85/hour, before taxes). After Uncle Sam takes his share (about 40%, ouch!), I generally use the rest for R/C. I get maybe 2-10 hours worth of gigs every month.

I just did a quick tally of everything I have purchased in the last year, and it came out to between $100 and $200 a month. It may be time that I actually start tracking the numbers "for real" in a spreadsheet or something, though, because I'm planning on a couple of planes with $1000 power systems. That is going to take some savings. I also have a high-school reunion to attend this summer, 3000 miles away, which is going to take a big bite out of my RC budget!

But anyway, the number is definitely not very consistent. Some months I spend nothing, and others I blow $500.

Don Sims
04-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Red, you don't want to know what you spend per month! :D You a military brat having a reunion that far away?? I'm a Heidelburg American High School Alum.

firemanbill
04-13-2006, 11:41 AM
A good rule of thumb is never add up your invoices:eek: This holds true in any hobby I suppose...

losi24
04-13-2006, 03:25 PM
I agree with firemanbill 100% :D i've probably spend about $600 in the 2 years in the hobby.

rclark
04-13-2006, 03:31 PM
$100 a month is budgeted. Sometimes more if a little extra comes in.

being a teenager, I 'only' get around $500-600.... Wow, my teenager kids get $10 every two weeks for allowance..... That's $20 a month + lunch money for school.... You must be working part time I imagine....

jakjr
04-13-2006, 05:20 PM
No amount in particular, I just get whatever I want when I have the money.

I do try to keep R/C spendings to a minumum though. Right now I'm actually selling off alot of my stuff and only buying things that I really need (IE replacement parts).

redgiki
04-13-2006, 05:28 PM
You a military brat having a reunion that far away??

Naw, I'm just a Maryland boy who fell in love with an Idaho girl. Three guesses who won the "where are we going to live?" discussion.

Four kids later, we're pretty firmly established in Utah :)

Ron
04-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Spend as it's needed,not much really, I make most of my own stuff such as gearboxes, props and speed controls...Generally I'll buy about 4 rolls of covering, and 100 dollars worth of Balsa per year...oh and a bottle or two of carpenter's glue.money comes mostly from a model or models that I sell. My shop is small, so I have to sell one in order to have the room to build one, and I like making things, so I try to make it all myself....basically I'm frugal/cheap on the modeling budget, probably average about 30 to 40 dollars a month.

fabricator
04-15-2006, 08:26 PM
I'm single so I got nobody to keep me under control, I got the electric bug bad.........really bad:o It prolly amounts to a little over $100 a week right now:eek: And now I have my heart set on a couple of the FMA balancing chargers and about four 2000mAh cell pro batts...................SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

NUTS
04-16-2006, 12:14 AM
Man I am blessed! My wife let me spend $9000 for a new workshop:D :D .
Lately I've been keeping it under $100 a month. That's what the little lady gives me to play with each month. I will sell off some stuff once and a while to give my "addiction", I mean my hobby budget a boost. If I need a new battery or somthing thats a little pricey she will let me take it out of the houshold budget. Man I've got a GREAT wife.

Regards,
NUTS

firemanbill
04-16-2006, 02:35 AM
Wow Nuts, Sounds like you got yourself a keeper there:D :D :D You take good care of that little lady!

My wife wants to let be build a garage out back as well. We are saving up for that now. My plan is to to have a two car for the bugs with the loft above for the planes.

Right now the bug has to share the room with the planes but it'll do for now.

skiman762
04-16-2006, 03:36 AM
I have one like that too
My garage/workshop/playroom is an oversize 2 story 3 car garage with a fully finished 2nd floor I mean gas fireplace kitchenette full bath heat and A/c
I have to laugh at times since my shop is bigger then my first house
when I retired and we moved back to NC she said I waited long enough for my shop and would wait no longer ummm think I'll keep her
Of course the shop came with a 3000sqft 100 year old house that I spend most of my days fixing and repairing but it's a fair trade since she told me that can be my job so I work on the house then work on my toys. Lifes been good to me so far...

skiman762
04-16-2006, 03:41 AM
I'm single so I got nobody to keep me under control, I got the electric bug bad.........really bad:o It prolly amounts to a little over $100 a week right now:eek: And now I have my heart set on a couple of the FMA balancing chargers and about four 2000mAh cell pro batts...................SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Your on your own there I can only give you the same advice my grandma gave me but i'll keep my teeth in
Always save for a rainy day I have followed that my whole life
funny thing is the more I saved the less it rained granny never told me about that part but for now I'll enjoy the sunshine

fabricator
04-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Your on your own there I can only give you the same advice my grandma gave me but i'll keep my teeth in
Always save for a rainy day I have followed that my whole life
funny thing is the more I saved the less it rained granny never told me about that part but for now I'll enjoy the sunshine

I'll keep my teeth in LOL:D :D

Old Man
04-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Budget, we don't need no stinking budget! I am a spoiled brat, I buy what I want when I want it. But, I have been flying RC for 28 years so I have a huge collection of stuff. I really don't buy that much.

It also helps that Old Lady likes my hobby and buys me stuff for special occasions. Last year for Christmas she bought me a Century 3D pro heli, gyro, servos and lipos. The year before she got me a JR 9303 radio. She knows more about e-flight than that guys at the LHS.:D

One thing to keep in mind is that in general, prices have NOT changed that much in the past 28 years. Except for radios and their prices have gone down! So the reality is that this is a great time to be getting started. It just takes time ot build up a good war chest. The key is to think ahead and buy smart. Do a little research and choose the size of aircraft that is right for you then, buy accordingly. Shop the internet and buy enough to get free shipping. The last time I made an interent purchase I spent $70.00 on lipos so I bought $30.00 worth of props to get the free shipping. I paid for more product rather than shipping. Shop smart.

Don Sims
04-27-2006, 01:49 AM
Old Man... don't you have a term paper or two due like I do or are yea "working" on it as we type??? :eek:

firemanbill
04-27-2006, 01:56 AM
Speaking of budgets! I'm not sure whether the wife is getting better not now:confused: but I like it!!! We were talking on the way to her doctors appointment today and we got to talking about my upcoming birthday. She asked what I wanted and I told her I wasn't sure if I wanted the Spektrum radio or the Ultrafly Ultimate Bipe... she then says.... are ya ready for this....... I sure as heck wasn't........... she says............... "why don't you get them both:eek: :eek: :eek: "

When we got to the Doc I says to him "I like the drugs you have her on, can we get refills???" ok so I'm kidding about that part but the rest is a fact as I said it!

Looks like I'm going to have a nice birthday:D

Of course her being healthy and getting over last week is enough in itself:)

Bill

Old Man
04-27-2006, 02:00 AM
Old Man... don't you have a term paper or two due like I do or are yea "working" on it as we type??? :eek:
Takes one to know one. I will make you a deal; if you don't tell my war department, I won't tell yours.

The reality is that I have been sitting at this keyboard since 6:30am. I have a major case of TV butt and a head ache that Advil won't touch.:( I took a Darvicit about 20 minutes ago so maybe that will kill the pain.:rolleyes: I am 19 pages into a paper on the affects of politics and economics on Math education in the US. And I still have to create three non-Euclidean geometry work sheets for tomorrow.:eek:

Momma put the coffee pot on, it is going to be a long night.:o

fabricator
04-27-2006, 02:08 AM
Takes one to know one. I will make you a deal; if you don't tell my war department, I won't tell yours.

The reality is that I have been sitting at this keyboard since 6:30am. I have a major case of TV butt and a head ache that Advil won't touch.:( I took a Darvicit about 20 minutes ago so maybe that will kill the pain.:rolleyes: I am 19 pages into a paper on the affects of politics and economics on Math education in the US. And I still have to create three non-Euclidean geometry work sheets for tomorrow.:eek:

Momma put the coffee pot on, it is going to be a long night.:o

I prefer the Euclideans myself, they use more garlic.:rolleyes:

Old Man
04-27-2006, 02:16 AM
Garlic gives me gas thus I prefer neutral or hyperbolic. Although, neutral is a little bland.

TLyttle
04-27-2006, 03:19 AM
Yup, I'm lucky as well, wife sez "you're not spending enough on your hobby! If you want something, buy it!" Can ya beat that...

In any case, I don't spend $10/mo, mostly because I build and fly a lot of scale rubber freeflight; more time, less material, better challenge. They get larger now because of my eyesight. Consequently, I follow freeflight building procedures when I do build for r/c, so costs are very low, and a model takes a long time to build. Try golfing on that budget.

Ron
04-27-2006, 03:35 PM
TL...also when you build lightly, the model flies better , and requires less power than a heavy one. This also means that since there's less material, you can use a smaller bag to put the pieces into if you do happen to have a bad crunchie. :-)

giflyrc
04-27-2006, 11:12 PM
:D Yep,
After a difficult maiden with my GWS Spit My flying BUDDS pesented me with a garbage bag they all signed to carry my models home in.

Still got it three years later and the Spit is alive and well too, after several trips home in the "bag "

Shortly after that an E-supplier sent me a kit I ordered and it was padded with garbage bags:D :D :D

Roger aka GIFLYRC

TLyttle
04-28-2006, 03:16 AM
Uuhhh, yup, lighter crashes lighter. All ya gotta do is go to a ff indoor meet to see how light models crash really light: a slow-motion video would put you to sleep...

I just LOVE that gang-signed garbage bag routine, that is really funny!

mike_mn
04-28-2006, 03:51 AM
Well,
I started into this hobby full bore in feb. My goal in learning to fly was/is to learn to fly the Miss Hangar One Hydrofoam. Keeping that in mind, I am working on my 3rd trainer plane now and the MH1 is slated as my forth build. By the time the MH1 is complete I will be at about $1000. So that is $250/mo est imating that the MH1 will be done by the end of may however, I am expecting(hoping) the amount to slow down after that.

If I can keep it down to $100/mo I will be very happy. That JR 9303 is tempting me, so it might not be possible for a while. Maybe I can wait until christmas...;)

redgiki
04-28-2006, 09:09 AM
I started into this hobby full bore in feb....If I can
keep it down to $100/mo I will be very happy.

I didn't start in this hobby too long ago myself. The first season, IMHO, is
one of the worst for expenses. Eventually, you acquire enough gear that
building a new plane from spare parts is feasible,and the monthly cost goes
down.

My goal in learning to fly was/is to learn to fly the Miss Hangar One
Hydrofoam.

I don't know why, but even though it's a pretty bird, it's just never had any
appeal to me. However, the flying broomstick is calling my name :)

--
Matthew P. Barnson
- - - -
Thought for the moment:
<calc> Knghtbrd: irc doesn't compile c code very well ;)

vax6335
05-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Well, my move went fine, I've got most of my stuff in my new house now. I'll still be moving stuff over the next couple weeks, it's amazing how much stuff you accumulate when you have so many hobbies.

It's nice having a whole bedroom I can make into my model/hobby workshop. :)

firemanbill
05-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Well, my move went fine, I've got most of my stuff in my new house now. I'll still be moving stuff over the next couple weeks, it's amazing how much stuff you accumulate when you have so many hobbies.

It's nice having a whole bedroom I can make into my model/hobby workshop. :)

Good deal on the move Vax... the extra room is always nice to have. You'll be surprised how fast you fill that up though:eek:

Tinlid
05-05-2006, 12:43 PM
BUDGET...BUDGET !!!!!!! YOU SAY how can i keep to a budget i just recieved a Ultrafly Ultimate Bipe and i promise my self this is it i've got to slow down got to stop this my 7th plane in 5 months but.... OH NO... what do i find that spitfire at Hobby lobby i have to have it i just got to have it i've got to go now my hands are starting to shake and the sweat is starting to build up on my forehead my sight has become blurred BUDGET!! BUDGET!!........NO WAY JUST NO WAY why do they keep making so many nice planes......... so many

Jeremy Z
05-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Wow, you guys are pretty good compared to me. I probably spend about $100 a month on average. Last month, it was more like $300.

I'm not as good with separating house money from play money as I should be. (and as my dear wife reminds me in my "bad" months. :) )

I think $100 a month is a reasonable budget, but it sure doesn't go far!

I also have a thirsty motorcycle, which needs $300 in tires and a $50 oil change each year. (Amsoil synthetic)

Jeremy Z
05-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Eventually, you acquire enough gear that
building a new plane from spare parts is feasible,and the monthly cost goes down.Especially in electric, and especially once you stop crashing. :cool:

Now, it's just a matter of self-control.

jonnyjetprop
05-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Self control? I don't want to think about how much I spend. Even worse, I cleaned up the shop (garage) and now my wife thinks i have too many planes. This is on top of when I moved into this house, when she counted the unbuilt kits. She thinks that 20 was way too many. Thank God she didn't see the others:rolleyes:

John

redgiki
05-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Especially in electric, and especially once you stop crashing.

You know, I'd thought that I had stopped crashing. Went several months without even a hard landing.

Then yesterday, I hauled out my Slow Stick. Plopped a 2S,2100mAh battery pack in the thing, like usual. Did my usual preflight check, and everything was copacetic: full deflection on all the surfaces, motor run-up worked, range check was good, etc.

The wind was up and down, but I thought it was OK. This situation is called a "sucker hole": the wind calms down enough that the suckers put their planes up, and the wind begins to rage afterwards. A stray gust caught my plane, and flipped it partially inverted, mostly pointing straight up, about twenty feet above the ground. I couldn't correct for the massive attitude change because the 2S is slightly underpowered (very little wind over the surfaces), and didn't have the altitude to pull out. She went straight in, bending the stick at ninety degrees.

Darn. Now, to fix the Stick, or use its electronics in something with a little more kick? Decisions, decisions. Any decision will probably result in money spent!

firemanbill
05-05-2006, 03:35 PM
BUDGET...BUDGET !!!!!!! YOU SAY how can i keep to a budget i just recieved a Ultrafly Ultimate Bipe and i promise my self this is it i've got to slow down got to stop this my 7th plane in 5 months but.... OH NO... what do i find that spitfire at Hobby lobby i have to have it i just got to have it i've got to go now my hands are starting to shake and the sweat is starting to build up on my forehead my sight has become blurred BUDGET!! BUDGET!!........NO WAY JUST NO WAY why do they keep making so many nice planes......... so many

LOL bud... I know exactly how you feel! And I just got Paypal buyer credit:eek: gotta be careful with that one!

luisfc1972
05-05-2006, 05:19 PM
i also started in February. i just passed the $1000 mark. but like others have said, ill start spending less now that ive got radio, several dif. batteries, charger, few servos, esc's, etc.

now its just kits for the most part.

Bill G
05-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Your RC Budget?

Geez Louize, man there is no such thing!
Addictions don't have budgets.

What happened to the "I have a request" thread?
Thought you were gone?

jcblough
05-08-2006, 02:26 AM
I'm a $40 - $50 per month guy myself. I take out $25 at the beginning of each week cash. That covers my reading habit and the rest goes to my r/c's. . . I hate to think what I've spent in total on rc's. At my height in the cars, I had 5, 3 nitro. Now I've got 2 nitro cars, 2 electric, a 40 glow trainer, a firebird freedom, and a stryker on the way next month. This is no cheap hobby. I wish I'd have started smoking so I could quit to show how much I'm saving :D

Bill G
05-08-2006, 03:18 AM
I'm a $40 - $50 per month guy myself. I take out $25 at the beginning of each week cash. That covers my reading habit and the rest goes to my r/c's. . . I hate to think what I've spent in total on rc's. At my height in the cars, I had 5, 3 nitro. Now I've got 2 nitro cars, 2 electric, a 40 glow trainer, a firebird freedom, and a stryker on the way next month. This is no cheap hobby. I wish I'd have started smoking so I could quit to show how much I'm saving :D

I've only been at this less than 3 years, but at your rate, you'll have to live to 100 to catch up to my spending.:eek:
The hobby shop is bummed when I walk out after spending only $40-$50.

The pictures of my hanger need to be connected panoramically. At the time of the photos, I was in it about a year, and there were more planes than in the pics. There's at least twice as many now. Most kits and scratch builds, to boot. My gallery only shows the real planes, kits and scratch builds.
Do I need to mention that I'm not married and have no life either. Besides building, that is.

jcblough
05-08-2006, 03:32 AM
dang, got me whipped. I think I'll prob have 3-5 planes tops at the end of things. My glow plane, a stryker, some 3d foamie, a warbird, something else. I may try helicopters again. I had a blade cp awhile - now a micro heli can chew up some rc funds learning to hover for sure :D