PDA

View Full Version : How do I?

redneckflyer
04-12-2006, 09:54 PM
How do I takeoff and land on the water? Is it nearly the same as on land?

rcers
04-12-2006, 10:05 PM
How do I takeoff and land on the water? Is it nearly the same as on land?

Well yes and no.

You must keep the "floats" floating.....

That means up elevator is necessary for taxi operations.

Here is how I do it with most float planes (it really depends on the plane). I apply up elevator and slowly advance the throttle. You ease off the up as you go forward on the throttle. Once on the "step" and you have enough airspeed you can add elevator and lift off the water.

On very smooth water, sometimes the floats tend to "stick" and it can help to get some ripples in the water.

landing is about the same, speed management and using the throttle to control desent (not the elevator!) is essential. You want pretty good back pressure on the stick and manage desent with the throttle.

Some you can just slow down to a crawl and just let them plop in the water....just keep the float tips out of the water!

What are you flying?

Mike

redneckflyer
04-13-2006, 02:59 AM
im flying a home built mini ultra stick which is a little smaller than the origanal mini ultra stick. and you said dont use elevater to control decent, does this mean that dead sticking is not good?? and what do you mean it tends to stick on smooth water?

rcers
04-13-2006, 03:44 PM
does this mean that dead sticking is not good??

Well is it ever really good? How often to you see a full scale come in under no power? ;):eek:

Not a big deal with our small models, but power is always nice. Many pilots (when you take your full scale flight training this is a favorite topic of many instructors - "how do you make the airplane climb" the student says "elevator" then the instructor grabs the throttle closes it to idle and says "OK now make us climb") You get the idea.

and what do you mean it tends to stick on smooth water? I mean just that, the plane and floats tend to "stick" to the water. Some planes even with full power and a lot of elevator just don't want to lift off.

Once again with small light electrics that is usually not an issue, but you tend to see it on nice smooth water. Making a couple of circles and ripples in the water assists as the floats can break free of the water. Odd to describe, but if you see it you will know what I mean!

Mike

redneckflyer
04-13-2006, 06:57 PM
thanks man i get it now, but the thing about it is dead sticking is my favorite way to land. but another thing i want to know is it just so god awful hard to dead stick land on water??? thanks agian

redneckflyer
04-13-2006, 08:22 PM
i see you're viewing this thread, wating for your reply

rcers
04-13-2006, 08:23 PM
Landing without power on small light electrics (sub 20oz/ft wing loading) is just fine.

Landing a warbird (with 30+oz/ft loading) gives you a pile of sticks.

OK - that is a really vague generalization. I have planes like slow sticks, my Simple 400, motor gliders etc land very well with no power. Others like my spitfires, extras, Sukhoi's that take a great deal of skill to land power off.

On floats airplanes are very draggy. You will want power as the plane will bleed off airspeed to quickly without it.

I can tell you I use throttle just as much as the elevator control on landing, they both go hand in hand.

But I have one float plane that I just cut the throttle and plop it right on the water.

Try it both ways, and see what works better, if you like comming in dead, you may like that better on floats too.

Whatever floats your boat! :)

Mike

redneckflyer
04-13-2006, 08:26 PM
thanks man for your help. but is there anything else i need to know?

rcers
04-13-2006, 08:29 PM
Waterproof everything - your first one will get wet, no matter how good you are!

Mike

redneckflyer
04-13-2006, 08:41 PM
ha ha ha ha thanks for the advice your probobly right

Jim Casey
04-14-2006, 12:46 AM
If you have an electric and want to land dead-stick, it's not a big deal. You can change your mind. Also, once you land you can give it power and taxi in.

If you have a slimer and land dead-stick, you have to go for a boat ride.

Earlier post about not controlling descent with the elevator is the way the Navy teaches "aviators" to land. Establish a little back stick pressure corresponding to slow level flight. Slightly reducing power causes the plane to descend. Slightly more power causes the plane to climb.

The elevator controls speed . The throttle controls altitude. it's true.

redneckflyer
04-14-2006, 04:10 AM
If you have a slimer and land dead-stick, you have to go for a boat ride.
what do you mean

Jim Casey
04-14-2006, 03:34 PM
slimer: Aircraft powerplant that consumes liquid fuel. Lubricant residue (slime) coats the aircaft after flight.

Fuel-burning engines do not restart on command, like electrics do. If you land deadstick in the lake, you will probably have to get in the rescue boat to go get your airplane which will be incapable of taxiing back under its own power.

redneckflyer
04-14-2006, 04:25 PM
ooooooohhhhh thanks