PDA

View Full Version : Question about Motor Rewind

Tenderfoot
03-11-2011, 01:43 AM
I have a motor that I would like to have rewound for a higher amp draw. The mfg. uses the same size frame for the larger draw and I would like to have mine upgraded. Is there a reliable place to send this motor to have the work done?

Thanks for your input.

Tenderfoot

flydiver
03-11-2011, 02:35 AM
Depends on the motor and depends on what you want to spend.
But, in general...no. You have to learn to do it yourself.
A lot of motors are a royal pain to work on. They are glued together messes. Winding is not too hard. Taking them apart can be awful.

Tenderfoot
03-11-2011, 02:52 AM
A Hacker??

flydiver
03-11-2011, 03:04 AM
Good motor - awful rewind. Glued together well inside.

You realize that if a motor is physically the same size but has a different amp draw, then it has a different number of windings? Less windings of larger wire (or more skinny wires most likely) allow it to draw more current but is will also have a higher KV > spin a smaller prop faster. Trade-offs.

What rewinders try to do is remove the skinny wire and custom tailor the # of windings to a target KV but using larger wire. This lowers the resistance, improves the cooling, and generally ups the efficiency and performance, and probably reliability.

Most non-custom motors use lots of skinny wire (higher resistance, more fragile) because it's cheaper and easier to wind.

kyleservicetech
03-11-2011, 03:10 AM
I have a motor that I would like to have rewound for a higher amp draw. The mfg. uses the same size frame for the larger draw and I would like to have mine upgraded. Is there a reliable place to send this motor to have the work done?

Thanks for your input.

Tenderfoot

I've rewound countless motors over the past 45 years, doing exactly what you are intending to do. One source of info is www.gobrushless.com (http://www.gobrushless.com).

If you are trying to rewind a Hacker motor, you could wind up with a motor that won't run. Hacker really fills their motors winding space full of wire, and it would be difficult to get better results than what the original motor had.

And, you've got to worry about the insulation of your magnet wire cracking off with the very sharp turns of the comparetively small sized motor you are trying to rewind.

From one who has done it, IMHO, it would be better to bite the bullet, and buy the motor with the characteristics you need.