PDA

View Full Version : Flew my GWS Corsair today!

vax6335
04-15-2006, 01:16 AM
Couldn't find a dedicated GWS Corsair thread....

Finally got some great weather so I took my trusty GWS Corsair out for a flight today. It was just a little too windy, but I had a great time and the plane flew great. This plane is currently my favorite model, but that may change when I finish my foam F-16 and my F-5.

GWS Corsair:
Throttle, Elevator, Aileron, Rudder
BP-12 motor
CC Thunderbird 18
Thunder Power 1320 3s lipo
GWS EP-0947 Black Prop

This is a great setup, it flies very nice, I wouldn't change a thing.

firemanbill
04-15-2006, 01:29 AM
That's great Vax... It is always great to get out and fly. It has been really windy here lately but I was able to get out late this evening right before dark.

The Corsair sure is an awesome looking warbird! We had one come to our airshow at Langley AFB last summer and flew in formation with an F-18 SuperHornet:eek: :eek: That was quite a show!

vax6335
04-15-2006, 01:45 AM
I like the GWS Corsair so much, I'm working on another. Probably won't be finished for awhile due to my move, but I thought I'd go with something a little different. I'm making an XF4U Prototype. Aluminum colored, cockpit is moved forward about 3 feet (on the model, I moved it right behind the battery hatch, looks like it's in the right place), top of the wings are yellow. Same power setup, but I'm gonna leave the rudder fixed this time.

Mick@Nite
04-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Hey Vax... are you still happy with the Corsair? I love the looks and am thinking about getting one... Just can;t find a whole bunch about the plane other than a few hop-up tips...

vax6335
04-25-2006, 11:53 PM
I think it's a great airplane. I've seen a lot of people fiberglass the thing, but I don't do that, too much work. My first one has a rudder, the second one won't, a rudder does do a little for the thing but not much. I would definately go with two aileron servos. My first one has only one, and it has the lousy stock pushrod wires run down the wing. They work, but with only one servo they're not very strong and the roll rate is slow. Find a creative way to put a servo in each wing and hide it well if you like a scale look. It's not a very fun plane on the stock motor, so I would definately go brushless with a lithium battery. And unless you have a really strong motor on it, build it LIGHT. Mine only weighs around 15 ounces.
Other than that, it's a good airplane. I don't feel the need to make any other changes for any reason. Oh I never put the landing gear on it either. It looks cheap and I don't have a paved runway. No matter how hard you try it won't work on grass. I just hand launch it and belly land it. Keep the speed up on landing or it will stall on ya. Put it down gently on some grass, and nothing will get hurt, been flying mine for awhile, and never had any damage.

One of these days when I get around to building the XF4U, I'll post a build log, showing all my mods and building proccess.

Mick@Nite
04-26-2006, 01:20 AM
Vax...

Thanks...I appreciate the comments very much! I'm looking forward to that future build....

K CLOSE
04-26-2006, 04:24 AM
Mick@nite---- I agree with vax6335- don't glass it. Glassing is not really hard at all (using Minwax and glass), but way to heavy. I glassed a GWS F4U that I changed into a F2G (Cook's 1947 Thompson Trophy winner #47). Although it's damm near indestructible it's way too heavy to slow down. Landing speeds are frightining (could fly through a tornado though). I also agree don't do rudder unless you up the power, not worth the weight on a GWS brushed 350 (B drive with a E-flight 9x7.5 on 9.6v works best imho) However, I disagree that stock set up is underpowered- though no ball of fire its still plenty fun. A bone stock (sans gear) GWS F4U is a nice flying plane and does ok with one servo for the wing. Any changes you make will depend on (A)- what you want out of the finished plane (B)- how well you fly and (C)- how well you build. Also guys were forever putting two servos in the underside of the wing and belly landing--only to total servos. If your going to try that mod make sure you mount the servos in the top of the wing. It is absolutely my favorite GWS plane.