PDA

View Full Version : KANSAS Clubs

SARG5
03-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Do not see anything on KANSAS CLUBS. May have missed them.
I have built my own flying field 11 miles north of Russell, Ks. on US 281.
Did not form a club.
DO HAVE RULES
MUST BE A CURRENT AMA MEMBER, for insurance
HELP WITH MOWING
MUST BE ASK TO FLY. No one has been turned away
KEEP GATE CLOSED, No lock on the gate.
MOST OF ALL
HAVE FUN :)
SARG5

CrimzonRider
03-19-2011, 01:47 AM
Not many here either,i live just south of you just west of us-81/281 and ks & ok border....kinda nice to have your own airfield ....i have two, north/south and east/west approach....trying to figure out cost on asphalt for a real runway mine are grass and hard packed dirt...

SARG5
03-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Hello down there in OK.
My runways are buffalo grass. IN PART, Trying to get all of the trash grasses down, so the buffalo will take over in time. My strip does have a few ups and down, we call them buffalo wollos . Have been filling them in a little at a time. Do not have a tractor with scoop. All hand work. I went up last evening, mowed another 110 feet length , as several of the folks are getting bigger planes. Only problem is , now we are about 50 feet from a stright drop off down into the creek. If landing to the north, and hit short, will be like an aircraft carrier landing short. oopps.

But , you know OK and Ks. most of the time the wind is from the south.
TAKE CARE, STAY IN TOUCH.
PS
The club in Great Bend Ks. put down some kind of plastic , roll out , runway. Looks great. Cannot remember what it is called.
SARG5

CrimzonRider
03-19-2011, 08:05 PM
WoW by hand that is a lot of work
never thought about buffalo grass as a seeding grass that a real good idea as it grows very thick

if your having probs getting rid of trash weed/grass, mix up a batch of .5% of glyphosphate, be real accurate in measuring the roundup 2-3% might kill it, .5% will burn it pretty good, but it will kill everything, but them stinkin gourds!!

Also I have too been thinking about some sort of "carpet" to cover runway. I seen a video on utube of some guy using the outdoor green thin carpet, havent check pricing, but you can buy whatever length you need and it comes in 20ft wide rolls, that guy just rolled it out over what appeared to be tundra and snow, it worked pretty good.

on the south approach i have a 5wire right in the way kinda just like your creek that you described. I have a lot of wind erosion fence, that black mesh fabric and I put it in front of the barbwire about 10 foot kinda loose, when i was learning to land and came up too short which I still do, it wouldnt damage the plane at all, whole lot better than gettin shredded by barbwire!!

and yeah a carrier landing like that would be bad:D

nice to meet you
have a good day
christopher

p.s. that plastic that they used in great bend, it might be HDPE liner, comes in thickness of like 3-6mil, they use it alot in western kansas to line the cafo pig farms sewage ponds, it will grip rubber tires really well, but slick as snot when wet.

SARG5
03-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Not knowing quite how to reply. :confused:
I tried with a reply to the email. May not have worked.
Price of buffalo grass is about $11.00 per lb., then you have to water it. I let old mother nature thake care of all that stuff.
I plug buffalo from good spots out in the pasture. Takes longer, but over time, it will take over.
My only problem is with the cattle arriving at the pasture when the grass starts to green up. They love the new green grass on my field. Also the moms like to put their calves down on the field. AND WHEN MOM PUT BABE DOWN, THEY STAY THERE. No RC plane is going to make them leave. I have chased them off the field, sometimes they will come right back and bed back down right where mom put them.
They there is the COW POOPPPPP. Lots of it in the spring. I have a 6 tong pitch folk to remove the piles from the field.
WHAT FUN :roll:
TAKE CARE DOWN THERE IN OK.
SARG5

CrimzonRider
03-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Had sum strong storms just move threw, had to turn laptop off, but i never got mail or anything ,

kinda off-topic, but.... them mama cows luv and need lots and lots of minerals right now with calves, mineral is about 14bucks a bag or a block, pour some out a long ways off, if possible, they will start to congregate around the mineral, just dont let them see you pour it out, lol, they will follow you anywhere and everywhere:D:D

SARG5
03-19-2011, 11:20 PM
I know all the tricks. They like my flying field.
SEND SOME OF THAT RAIN MY WAY. WE ARE SO DRY, Need it for the wheat.
SARG5
FLYING AND SEEING THE COUNTRY WE DEFEND