PDA

View Full Version : Lightest Glue For A Foamy?

DTB
04-15-2006, 04:52 PM
I'm in the process of building another foamy and wondered what the lightest glue is?

Thanks for any response...

Derrick

comets8518
04-15-2006, 05:28 PM
i'd venture to guess 3m 77 or possibly CA

Chays23
04-15-2006, 05:43 PM
im thinking Ca?

my brother uses Small drops of Hotmelt but i dont think thats the lightest lmao

flypaper 2
04-15-2006, 07:43 PM
Been using hot glue all along so I thought I would try CA to get a lighter weight. Works very well. Heard that it was too brittle but the one I built for indoors in the fall is still hanging in after flying it in a sportsdome all winter and am flying it outdoors now.

roccobro
04-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Depends on the joint. GWS or Por contact cements are great for almost instant bonds but stay rubbery. Gorilla glue works pretty well too. Sets up like hard foam, but holds really strong. It foams so use sparingly. You can even color match the glue to the plane by mixing paint by the drop to the glue beforehand and let it foam a bit before application. I usualy let a sample dry for a day and see what color makes the best tint- hint, make it a shade darker than desired. As it sets for a week it lightens up for some reason. Normal color is a yellow gold if mixed with just water.

I use different glues for diff joints. Ca has it's place but sometimes I cannot get the odorless CA to harden without excellerator, even after hours of waiting. My fingers glue in seconds so why not the foam? :rolleyes:

Justin

Bill G
04-15-2006, 10:21 PM
I used CA on foam until I realized it didn't transfer shock well to the foam. The hardness of CA causes glued parts to break out of the foam, easier than epoxy. Plastic wing hold down mounts, for instance, tend to stay in the foam much better with epoxy than with CA.
The simplest way to save weight is to use epoxy, but not use unnecessary tons of it, like I used to.

Depends on the joint.
Justin

Sure does:eek:

Roc, recently someone told me that moisture content hardens CA. Supposedly balsa always has some moisture from the air. I guess foam doesn't. Seemed to make sense.

roccobro
04-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Heard that also. Same goes for Gorilla glue. I now store bottles tip down to avoid letting moisture in. Might have to clean tip, but my $10 bottles of CA last longer (almost a year now).

Justin

darkside212
04-16-2006, 03:48 PM
I like hot glue for its speed (not concerned about weight)...but ca and GG both work well for their strenght/weight ratio.

Topdoc
04-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Try Foamhesive fom Billy Hell RC (made by Nikitas)

fredeich
05-02-2006, 02:01 AM
Try Foamhesive fom Billy Hell RC (made by Nikitas)

I second the above. It is the lightest I have found. It makes a great bond.
Fred