PDA

View Full Version : Garage door opener frequency jammed!

jrb
04-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Here’s a link to a Yahoo search that reports this happening in Ottawa: http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=canadian+garage+doors+us+military&sp=1&fr2=sp-top&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-web-t&ei=UTF-8&SpellState=n-3738611636_q-4eAf0pUAFuxrbLlVccAG.AABAA%40%40 .

But its now happened to my house, in Edina, Minnesota.

Two openers and 5 TX; including the “HomeLink” in my wife’s car! (one rolling code the other not)

Wednesday morning we were able to close the doors when we left for work; as late as 8am.

Also worked fine when I came home about noon.

But at about 4:45pm I couldn’t close my garage door on my way to the barber shop; and it didn’t open when I returned.

Nor could my wife get her door to open when she came home about 5:30; via her “HomeLink”.

The TXs would not even work within the garage; batteries all checked out OK.

Sort of the same deal Thursday morning; though the TXs would open now from within the garage.

Thursday night, there was a bit of range improvement: doors would close about 5 feet outside the garage, but not open the door until right next to the door.

Yesterday (Friday) all is well!!!

Doors open from out in the street.

Across the street is Braemar Golf Course; my house is circled on the East side of the photo.

The circle furthest to the SW is a huge tower with lots of antennae (about 1 mile?); a Police Supervisor told me it is used by the county for many different things.

The circle in the open are just to the east of the tower is now a police training center.

Also, we are over flown by commercial air traffic to/from MSP.

The police supervisor was great, listened and even read the articles in the link; got back to me late Thursday that he hadn’t gotten from all he’s checking, but hadn’t found anything city services that might be doing something funny.

Being Easter/Passover weekend a friend thought maybe there was some sort of security thing going on. And I haven’t been able to check with the neighbors; though their garages are filled w/stuff not cars.

Any ideas from ya’ll on what to do who call, etc.?

TIA,

Jim

jrb
04-17-2006, 01:38 PM
bump

watt_the?!
04-17-2006, 11:18 PM
here's one for you....i took the family up to our local lookout in my city for a look see and couldnt engage the alarm on the car for some reason.

after mucking around with it, and getting in and out of the car manually turning it on and off the only conclusion was that the huge tower about 2000 ft away with the TV relays and a heap of other stuff mustve been interfering with my alarm system.

i couldnt turn it off at one point which kinda ruined the serenity for everyone.

and now another anecdote you might want to be aware of. An electrician/gadgets man of ours does our home networking setups etc and he was showing me how easy it was to make a device that scans through the frequencies of garage door openers and lock onto the correct one...very scary stuff and within the capabilities of joe average.

Sorry, no solution...

Tim

vax6335
04-19-2006, 01:31 AM
Ask around to see if it's happening to everyone. Reminds me of this story:
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/sun/2004/aug/18/517362120.html

Jim901
04-19-2006, 02:06 AM
Had the same thing happen. Check the screws conneting the garage panels, also the lubrication on the top rail as well as the side rails. There is a screw that regulates the torque. Have this all checked out before you suspect "transmiters". !! Jim

crxmanpat
04-19-2006, 08:08 PM
If you have sensors near the ground where the garage door meets the ground, check that not only are they not blocked in any way, but that the gain is turned up high enough. I had a devil of a time with my opener a few months ago. The only way it would shut was if I held down the button on the wall unit, the remotes did not work at all. Turns out all I had to do was turn up the gain a little on the sensor eye.

Pat

jrb
04-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the thoughts.

Once again two doors/openers and 5 different transmitters; not screws or bolts; or other parts.

The operating range of the TXs was dramatically affected by some interference/jamming.

jrb
04-29-2006, 02:17 AM
Back from my trip to India and have checked with the neighbors; they too experienced the garage door opener jamming!