PDA

View Full Version : Is she a goner?

Ribcracker
04-16-2006, 03:36 AM
My Funtana was doing a blisteringly fast series of rolls when the hatch flew off and the pack went flying. I almost broke the stick off trying to pull the plane out of the dive even though I knew it couldn't respond without a pack. But alas...
I've become incredibly attached to this plane and I feel I owe it to her to at least attempt to bring her back.
Do you think there's any hope? Is she a goner?

firemanbill
04-16-2006, 03:42 AM
I'm no expert at rebuilding but... I'd have to say that's pretty much it for that one:(

skiman762
04-16-2006, 03:46 AM
we'll that depends how much time you want to spend sniffing glue
but I'm thinking for 50 bucks buy the new fuselage unless the wing got toasted

firemanbill
04-16-2006, 03:48 AM
By the way... Sorry for the loss. It's tough when you lose any plane, especially one you're really fond of.

I agree with skiman. get another one and salvage what you can out of that one for spare parts. or kindling... sorry, couldn't resist :D

skiman762
04-16-2006, 03:52 AM
I like to cut the tails off and mount them on a deer horn mount kit
with the date and hang them on the wall of the shop
makes a great memory lane

qban_flyer
04-16-2006, 04:38 AM
I'm afraid it is. Sorry for your loss. I had the same thing happen to me while doing a series of loops.

Battery pack went in one direction while the plane came straight down. :o

Kyle G.
04-17-2006, 01:04 AM
Not hardly, I think that plane is salvagable. It might take a little time, but it depends if you'd rather spend the money and buy a new fuse, or spend the time fixing this one. Sorry about the crash though, not quite understanding why the battery was attached to the hatch though :confused: If the battery was secured in the fuse, i don't think a hatch coming off would eject the pack. Unless I'm missing something.

fabricator
04-17-2006, 01:30 AM
Heck no! That'll buff right out, I get a kick out of putting one back together from the toothpick state............er, I've had a lot of practice:rolleyes: after doing so much with so little for so long, I am now qualified to do anything with nothing, you got the plans, some lumber, some glue, a little ultracote and she'll be good as new.

firemanbill
04-17-2006, 01:49 AM
Buff right out! good one fabricator. Sounds like something the local Maaco man would say:D

I like skimans idea. A trophy wall of tail sections. I've got a hole in the sheetrock in my garage wall. Maybe I'll stick one in there with some wires hanging out and such... make it look like it crashed into the wall:eek:

That would start up a few conversations with guests!

Ribcracker
04-17-2006, 04:26 AM
Maybe I'm stubborn (foolish? cheap?), but I've decided to rebuild the ship. I thought about a replacement fuse for $50 but you can get the whole plane for $80. And how would you get the feathers off the old fuse when they're epoxied on? And actually, I like to sniff glue. I recently kit built the HL Skimmer and I'm finishing up my Steven's Aeromodel Cap 232 and I enjoy the process.
The wing damage is fairly minor. My LHS sells Ultracote by the foot, I've got a pretty good array of tools and my evenings are free. I've fit most of the pieces together like a jig-saw puzzle in order to make up some templates which I will use to cut new parts.
Kyle,
Thanks for the encouragement. I have no idea why the pack left the plane. It wasn't strapped down but it was velcroed in place. I'm sure I've flown a thousand times and that has never happened to me before. I'd love to know what caused it so I can avoid it ever happening again. I've experienced plenty of strange happenings while flying and I don't like it. What!? What did I do!???
Fab,
I wish there were some plans that I could follow. I've studied the pictures in the manual and I think my templates will be close enough. I'm sure there'll be plenty of sanding and refitting but like you, I've had plenty of repair practice. Patience will come in handy.
I'll let you guys know how it goes and if it goes well, I'll post a picture of the risen bird.
Peace,
Rib

vax6335
04-17-2006, 04:52 AM
Is that the E-Flite mini Funtana?

Ribcracker
04-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Yes.

firemanbill
04-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Well keep us posted on the rebuild then... Good luck!:D

jonnyjetprop
04-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Sorry for the loss. I'm gald to see you rebuild it. One of the downsides of the ARF revolution is that many don't have the skills to fix them and throw good airframes in the trash.

I have had a couple of the flying pack problems. I have gone to using a small strap of velcro to help hold them in place. A couple of minutes work gives me that extra piece of mind.

John

Ribcracker
04-27-2006, 02:00 AM
Hey Fellas,
She's baaaaayaack! I'm sure I put at least 20 hours into it (probably more) but all in all it went quite well. And it looks pretty damn good (if you don't look too close), but more importantly, she flies just like the champion that she was. Absolutely awesome!
You were right, Fab...she buffed right out. And now I can say that I can do almost anything with nothing.
So....when your craft comes in hot and perpendicular, don't lose heart. Odds are you can bring her back.

fabricator
04-27-2006, 02:04 AM
Hey Fellas,
She's baaaaayaack! I'm sure I put at least 20 hours into it (probably more) but all in all it went quite well. And it looks pretty damn good (if you don't look too close), but more importantly, she flies just like the champion that she was. Absolutely awesome!
You were right, Fab...she buffed right out. And now I can say that I can do almost anything with nothing.
So....when your craft comes in hot and perpendicular, don't lose heart. Odds are you can bring her back.

WOOOOOHOOOOOO:D Lookin Gooooooood brother:D It really warms your heart dont it? Especially when they fly as good as new.;)

firemanbill
04-27-2006, 03:06 AM
Awesome Job Rib!!!

crxmanpat
04-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Rib,

Great job on the rebuild! See? Nothing to worry about!

A fellow flyer recently finished a Stevens G480. On maiden, he gunned the throttle, got air in about 5', and promptly torque rolled it right in. Flight lasted all of 3 seconds. The nose was toothpicks.

He ALMOST trashed the plane. Lots of encouragement from the rest of us convinced him to rebuild. Two weeks later, he is flying it again. And this is one sweet bird too. He let me fly it for a few minutes yesterday. First thing I did was snap off a clean 4-point roll!

His next project is the Cap 232. Maybe once he gets that done, he'll let me fly his G480 more often :D

Big Oakden
05-16-2006, 02:20 AM
Ribracker, are those the plans for the Funtana in the background or for a Stevens Aeromodel plane?

Looks similar to my Edge 540 from Stevens (at lease from what I can see)

Ribcracker
05-16-2006, 02:41 AM
Good eye, Oakden. Those are the plans for the Stevens Cap 232. I'm in the process of covering it right now. It's gone fairly well but I made a couple of mistakes because a few things were unclear. I really, really wish that someone would come up with "idiot-proof" plans for guys like me.
I guess we learn as we go...or don't.

Big Oakden
05-16-2006, 02:43 AM
Just posted my new plane on Scale Planes under Stevens Edge 540 tell me what you think...

FlyingMonkey
08-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Wow, that's great!

I liberated a mini funtana x from the airplane graveyard at SEFF 07.

It had some wing damage. I thought, worst case scenario, I might salvage it for parts.

Now I am thinking it is worth fixing and flying it at SEFF 08!