PDA

View Full Version : How do I waterproof a Polaris?

mumblinaviator
04-13-2011, 03:24 AM
I'm just starting a Jetset Polaris build, and I happened to remember it was a float plane AFTER i had already glued the main lower fuselage in place. I'm fairly certain I did not get a solid enough bead of glue to maintain a water tight hull, so how should I proceed from here?

Caulk?

Epoxy?

The fuselage remains open, so getting my hands in there shouldn't be a problem...

Larry3215
04-13-2011, 04:26 AM
Id run a thin layer of polyurethane glue all along the seam and rub it in with a wet finger.

Then wipe off any excess with a paper towel.

Then watch it closely. As it foams up, wipe the seam with a wet finger again to smooth it out and remove excess glue if there are big foamy areas. A little foaming is good but a lot means too much glue.

You could also use a tub and tile caulking material or most any glue, but I think that would be heavier.

Larry3215
04-13-2011, 04:30 AM
By the way, I think you will like the plane. Do you have any freash water spots to fly from on Whidbey? its a hoot on water!

Ive scratch built a giant scale version I really like. Thats it in my avatar with my giant scale Capricorn.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=146468&stc=1&d=1302661906