PDA

View Full Version : Done with the Honey Do for now!

firemanbill
04-18-2006, 02:33 AM
OK I have finished the floor for the wife, still have a little trim to do but the big work is done.

Now back to flying.:D

Grasshopper
04-18-2006, 03:27 AM
Looks Great Bill! Oh that brings back memories. One of the best things we've found to keep ours clean is the Hoover Floor Mate. It's a wet and dry vacuum scrubber. They used to run about $175 but man does it do a great job.

firemanbill
04-18-2006, 03:32 AM
Thanks! I'll have to keep that Hoover in mind. As much as we spent on that stuff I want to take real good care of it!

Grasshopper
04-18-2006, 03:37 AM
That's kind of how we felt. It's made specifically for hard floors. Now the problem is.....Spektrum DX6.......or.........Hoover Floor Mate?

skiman762
04-18-2006, 01:00 PM
Bill Your wife must be talking to my wife
I just refinshed the hardwood in our guest room
not looking foward to that dusty job again anytime soon
I would have put a new one in but it would be a crime to cover 100 year old hard pine I'll tell you what 100yr old pine is harder then supermans knee cap

skiman762
04-18-2006, 01:05 PM
OK I have finished the floor for the wife, still have a little trim to do but the big work is done.

Now back to flying.:D

Better get it finished or that's all you'll hear about:D
My wife can remind me of things I never finished 5 years ago
Is that hardwood or laminate? those hovers are for sealed hardwood
if it's lamanite I wouldn't use it even though they say water isn't a problem on laminate, it is over time the edges will swell

skiman762
04-18-2006, 01:08 PM
That's kind of how we felt. It's made specifically for hard floors. Now the problem is.....Spektrum DX6.......or.........Hoover Floor Mate?

Ahhh Grasshopper
Old proverb say get DX6 wife will get floor cleaner anyway.....:D

firemanbill
04-18-2006, 01:37 PM
naw Skiman it's Wilson Art laminate floor not hardwood. I guess I won't need the hoover then:rolleyes: DX6 here I come!:D

and yes I'll be finishing up the trim soon...

I bet that Hardwood you guys have is beautiful!

Grasshopper
04-18-2006, 02:02 PM
I got the Hoover and DX6. Been using the Hoover for over 2 years with no problems at all. You just have to make sure you don't leave any standing water. I used Wilson Art too. It said the edges were sealed and it was OK to use the floormate. Who knows?

firemanbill
04-18-2006, 02:25 PM
How bout that.. same brand and all. Did you use the blue fusion glue in the joints? They recommended it since it is in the kitchen and prone to getting wet. It's kind of like elmer's gule with silicone in it. I'd say mine is sealed up pretty tight with all that in the joints...

firemanbill
04-18-2006, 02:26 PM
either way... I think I'll go ahead and get the DX6, wife already said I deserved it.:)

I guess it pays to get on your knees for the wife every now and then huh?:D

skiman762
04-18-2006, 07:11 PM
oh if you glued the seams you'll be fine like grasshopper said don't leave any water behind
it looks good I'll say

Well I was at this floor for about a week we'll see if can sneak in a saito 82 , I know I said a bad word ....:D
but I will never stop sniffing the ole nitro lol...

the whole house is a do over can you say money pit
but we love this old house and the area is growing so if we ever need to go we'll get our money back I hope ;)
When I get tired of working on I grab a barley pop and sit in my shop then it's all better....

Grasshopper
04-18-2006, 07:20 PM
That's funny! You are right, the projects never end. The gentlemen that taught me to fly RC over 20 years ago rented his house and leased his cars. He said "Anyone that buys a house or car deserves it". That way he had more time to fly. I'm beginning to thnk he was right.

skiman762
04-18-2006, 07:23 PM
I know I feel like I have two wifes ..lol
I told momma that when this room was done I was
getting back out to my shop for awhile and playing with airplanes

skiman762
04-18-2006, 07:26 PM
the real problem is while we're working on one project they're thinking about two more...:eek:

firemanbill
04-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Boy you can say that again... she wants new countertops now:eek:

Actually that was my idea... I figured they are pretty beat up and I really like the looks of the solid surface type stuff. It sure beats that simulated wood grain stuff we have now.

I think all houses are in a state of perpetual upgrades. If it aint broke it will be soon.

Grasshopper
04-18-2006, 10:32 PM
We must be clones! My wife wants new counter tops too. Doesn't like the color. I've already replaced all the bathroom counter tops.........and it seems like everything else in the house.

crxmanpat
04-18-2006, 10:35 PM
not looking foward to that dusty job again anytime soon
I'd sooner lay wood laminate or refinish hardwood than lay ceramic tile! Helped my sister redo her living/dining rooms in 12" tile. Never again!

she wants new countertops now
Bill, go with granite or marble tops. They won't stain or fade, and you can cut directly on them.

BTW, if I recall correctly, you said in another thread you were once stationed in Germany? Where at? I was in Wiesbaden (Lindsay Air Station) from '86-'89, and Sembach AB from '90-'91.

Pat

skiman762
04-18-2006, 11:03 PM
I have been trying to forget about the new counter tops thank for reminding me ...lol:eek:
I'm thinking the contractor can handle that one

firemanbill
04-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Amen Ski and Pat on both those, did the tile thing in the foyer and bathroom. That stuff is ten times harder on the knees than the flooring and yeah I think I'll leave the counter tops for the pros. I'd probably drop the thing:eek:

and yeah Pat I was at Bitburg from Oct 85 to Oct 87. Back in the heyday of USAFE

crxmanpat
04-18-2006, 11:37 PM
I had friends stationed at Hahn AB, not too far from Bitburg. The F-15s would stop by Sembach once in a while.

Yeah, USAFE is not even close to what it once was back in the '80s. Both of the duty stations I was assigned to are now closed.

Pat

firemanbill
04-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Who would have ever though Bitburg would close! I for one would have never guessed it.

I think some of the best days I ever had was cruising around Germany on a Saturday to watch Bitburg whoop up on somebody on Football! What a blast it was:) Cold war and all!

crxmanpat
04-19-2006, 12:02 AM
I was a German Cryptologic Linguist (fancy name for spy), and most of what I did involved eavesdropping on East German Air Force communications. Mostly listening to fighter pilots do their training excises (air to air intercept, ground attack, etc). It was fun following them on all their frequencies, from departure, to ground control, to arrival. I was there in late '90 when the border to the east was finally opened. Took a drive with friends to some of the towns where the pilots were stationed. What a surreal experience that was!

I loved my 3.5 years in Germany. One day, I will take the family back there for a few weeks vacation (but have to get Hawaii and Australia out of the way first :D ) and visit the old haunts.

Pat

firemanbill
04-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Speaking of east and west. My son and I are rebuilding a 1970 Beetle for him. We were working putting the engine together and he went to hand me the original Solex carb. It has "made in Western Germany" stamped on it and he thought that to be peculiar:eek:

I had to stop and explain the whole east/west thing. It's hard to belive he was born after the wall fell!

Dang I'm getting old...