PDA

View Full Version : Is my Himax Outrunner Toast?

gravityrules
08-19-2005, 04:03 PM
I've had a himax outrunner since they came out and it's been a great little motor. Yesterday was flying my Formosa with a new GWS 1080 prop (normally use APC 9x6). Was flying at WOT when suddenly the motor cut out and all controls stopped working. Luckily I was at low altitude and the crash damage was minor, but now the motor just stutters and gets very hot quickly. The ESC appears ok as I plugged in another motor and that works.

Did I overload the motor and melt the windings? I opened the motor up and can see no visible shorting or melting. Again, setup is GWS Formosa, Kokam 3s 1500mA 8C, Himax 2808-0980, GWS 1080 prop.

Turbojoe
08-20-2005, 02:13 AM
I've flown the crap out of both of my 980's. My most used one has been crashed hard at least three times. Twice needing new shafts. They still run great. It sounds like yours has a broken or shorted wire. Stuttering and overheating are a sure sign. Take a closer look where they come together and go into the motor case.

Joe

Dr Kiwi
08-20-2005, 02:48 AM
That's a 10A max motor and a 10x8 GWS would be trying to pull 13-15A at WOT (if your pack could supply that). Even a 9x6 APC SF is a bit over the top on 3s and in bench testing at only 9v on the PS (just 8.7v at the ESC) my motor got very hot, very fast. I hate to think how hot it might have got with a 10x8 on true 3s.

All you can do is pull it apart and see if you have melted some wire or insulation.

Cheers, Phil

Mike Parsons
08-20-2005, 03:35 AM
That's a 10A max motor and a 10x8 GWS would be trying to pull 13-15A at WOT (if your pack could supply that). Even a 9x6 APC SF is a bit over the top on 3s and in bench testing at only 9v on the PS (just 8.7v at the ESC) my motor got very hot, very fast. I hate to think how hot it might have got with a 10x8 on true 3s.

All you can do is pull it apart and see if you have melted some wire or insulation.

Cheers, Phil
Allow me to introduce to you one of the for most experts and someone who's advice, recommendations and data is respected not only by me, but by many. Welcome aboard Phil, I am glad to see you here! :)

-Mike Parsons

Turbojoe
08-20-2005, 04:09 AM
Allow me to introduce to you one of the for most experts and someone who's advice, recommendations and data is respected not only by me, but by many. Welcome aboard Phil, I am glad to see you here! :)

-Mike Parsons

You beat me to it! ;)

Joe

Dr Kiwi
08-20-2005, 05:15 AM
You are both far too kind. I am still a rank amateur in this field, and the world's worst pilot, but I am learning as much as a can. I am honored to be here!

Cheers, Phil

Turbojoe
08-20-2005, 01:05 PM
You are both far too kind. I am still a rank amateur in this field, and the world's worst pilot, but I am learning as much as a can. I am honored to be here!

Cheers, Phil

Between you and Steve Neu I don't think anybody else has done and posted near as many useful motor test results. We do notice and appreciate the effort.

Joe

NitroCharged
08-20-2005, 11:02 PM
Stuttering is a real good indication that one of your leads or wire winds has broken. Get out the multimeter and check for continuity. :)

ron_van_sommeren
08-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Or a bad/poor soldering joint

NitroCharged
08-21-2005, 11:10 PM
good call Ron :)

gravityrules
08-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Thanks all for the replies. Yes, I have read and admired Dr Kiwi's posts on the other boards. I don't yet have a wattmeter, so that information on current draw is very helpful. I bought a new motor and placed the dead one in the "when I can get to it" box. I plan to be a little nicer to the new motor and will prop down and not spend much time WOT. Any suggestions on the ideal prop for this setup?

BobFlyer
08-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Depending if you purchased the unit new, another option would be to send it to Maxx for Warranty service..

I have had good luck with my unit and the Warranty, It is a slow process about 5-6 weeks, however, they have been good to me on the warranty..I.E. replaced the motor..

It would be worth the postage for a try..better than the "to do in future box"

I had a friend that took his unit apart, and was going to rewind, however, he indicated that the windings were coated with a glue/epoxy or something that a chemical would not disolve..He did not try and heat the stator in an oven at low temps to soften the windings.

Any others have experience in rewinding a Himax outrunner?

BobFlyer

Turbojoe
08-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Any suggestions on the ideal prop for this setup?

9x4.7 APC SlowFly prop has been working great for me. I have used a 9x6 but the amp draw does get up there.;)

Joe

gravityrules
08-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Thanks Turbojoe, I'll pick some up on my next trip to the LHS! No more outrunner meltdowns for me :)