PDA

View Full Version : AirBorne Models Sky Raider Mach II S

CorsairJock
04-19-2006, 03:19 PM
I picked up one of these VERY attractive looking ARFs a few months ago, and am now putting it together with electric power. Simular in appearence to the Goldberg SkyLark, only slightly smaller.

Altho the covering is VERY attractive, I am into warbirds and decided to do some kit bashing. With a few changes to it's outline (as in: new fin/ rudder, add round cowl), new finish/ covering job, and some decals and it can be made to look very simual to it's nakesake: the AD/ A1 Skyraider.

I have an AXI 2826/12 motor which I will use, with APC 4 blade 11 x 6 prop. Since I already have a few 3S Li-Po packs available, I will try them 1st but may decided to move up to a 4S pack later. ESC is Castle Creations Phoenix 45. With the above mentioned prop and motor, current draw was measured at about 25 amps with 3S 4200 mAH ThunderTiger Li-Po pack. That's roughly 50 watts/ pound IF I can keep it under 5 lbs.

As of this time, the ARF is completely stripped and I am doing some profile changes to it.

This is intended to be my '.40 size' sport plane, capable of flying out of and getting back into very small flying sites.

Here is a link to this ARF:
http://www.airborne-models.com/html/productdetails.asp?ProductID=16

cdallen
04-26-2006, 02:10 AM
Man are you wasting a lot of time with the easiest arf and flying plane around. Put it together as is and fly the pants off of it. I cut a access in the top for battery with a Phasor 30-3 motor. Have a brick Tanic 3s 2p 4000 mah in it as it comes out tail heavy. I had 3 crashes with the first one and am working on the second one. Its so cheap you can affort to fly down the runway upside down at 5 ft. Save all that work for a plane that deserves it.

CorsairJock
04-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Man are you wasting a lot of time with the easiest arf and flying plane around. Put it together as is and fly the pants off of it.
............ Save all that work for a plane that deserves it.

Gee, I guess I have a few character flaws.

1) I like warbirds, so much that even my sport planes need to at least resemble a warbird somehow.

2) I never put any kit or ARF together exactly as the instructions say. I have this insane need to make it different than the others, to personalize it, put my brand on it so to speak. I have this mis-conception that I can take a good thing and make it better.

That said, I am at least doing step 1 of what Dr. Phil would recommend: acknowedge my problem.

BUT (and Dr. Phil doesn't like that word), it doesn't take much effort to make a new fin and rudder. And the mechanical rotating retracts aren't too much effort either (OPPS, am I getting too carried away?).

Maybe you could post some pics and share info on your's, done the right way of course.

cdallen
04-27-2006, 12:09 AM
Your OK. Have it your way. Just seems like a lot of work for a $65.00 airplane. My biggest plane is a Sukhoi weighing 13.5 lbs and one of my most fun planes is a Cemark Banchee. But when I really want to drag the fin on the runway upside down I bring out the $ 65.00 Mach 11. I have never seen a $ 65.00 airplane come with pinned hinges already epoxied. This has got to be the best value in arfs. I uaually spend a lot of time putting in nylon pinned hinges. This airplane looks so good out of the box I just don't get it, but to each his own. Got to see the finished job.