PDA

View Full Version : Pinch me, is it true??? YES!

Nitro Blast
05-13-2011, 02:55 PM
When I was a gasser, flying airplanes using IC engines, I was a dedicated OS Max owner. Those were the only engines I would buy.

When I converted to e-power, I had to give my engines to my dad, or sell them on Ebay for e-money.

LOOK WHAT HIRCFLYER SENT ME TODAY!

http://www.os-engines.co.jp/110501/img/01.jpg

OH HAPPY DAY!!

Saddlebum
05-13-2011, 03:02 PM
When I was a gasser, flying airplanes using IC engines, I was a dedicated OS Max owner. Those were the only engines I would buy.

When I converted to e-power, I had to give my engines to my dad, or sell them on Ebay for e-money.

OH HAPPY DAY!!

The fan in front looks an awful like like a Hacker!

...The Bum

rcers
05-13-2011, 03:38 PM
They are VERY PROUD of them, just like their Glow motors. :)

Hopefully the quality will match the price and I suspect they will be very high quality. Just not sure they are worth the sight premium over Hacker/Scorpion/Motrofly.

I do like the lower kV and higher cell count idea they seem to be pushing. Volts are magic. :)

Mike

firemanbill
05-13-2011, 03:39 PM
I like it, but I don't like their entry method. The motor sizes they are starting out with are rather small, I'm sure they will come out with bigger motors eventually...

but here is their market entry lineup and pricing.

OMA3820-1200 Motor (.25 size) Street: $74.99
OMA3825-750 Motor (.30 size) Street: $79.99
OMA5020-490 Motor (.40 size) Street: $119.99
OMA-5025-375 Motor (.50 size) Street: $129.99

kenchiroalpha
05-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Hi Jim
Oh My:$They do look quite splendid indeed:tc:
http://www.osengines.com/motors/index.html
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

xmech2k
05-13-2011, 05:14 PM
As a relative newb, I kind of like how they list their motors in an equivalent gasser size. I can't decipher most of the different ways the other mfgr's list their motors. The price looks on par with E-Flite. I just got a Power 15 for around $65. Hopefully their quality reputation will carry over, and it won't be a victim of corporate greed. (Sorry, don't get me started...)

rcers
05-13-2011, 05:55 PM
OS was always a bit more price than the competition. But you did get something for that.

OS excelled in:

Quality product and warranty (other than the time they were having issues with the Nickle instead of chrome!)
Excellent hardware (fittings/carbs)
Good power (they were not the best not the worst)
They would start, run and work with a minimal fuss
Large selection
New products

With the motors what I don't know is are they going to really be better than what is already out there.

I do like the fact the shaft/collet look to be of harder/quality material not the wonky stuff you get with cheap motors (and even some of the not so cheap ones).

They are very late to the game but as can be see there are clearly folks who will flock to nothing other than name. :)

Mike

kyleservicetech
05-13-2011, 06:46 PM

Take a look:
http://www.osengines.com/motors/

Hopefully they will be providing motor weight, winding resistance, no load current and so on.

Wonder if they have the large diameter ball bearing that supports the "Bell" end of the magnet rotor. That ball bearing absolutely eliminates the possibility of the magnet rotor hitting the stator, something important when the prop is bolted to the rotor.

(I've got an OLD 1950's era OS 58 glow engine, that uses a roller bearing on the front of the shaft. The thing ran pretty good for the $15 I spent in 1965 for it, AND the model that came with it.)

rcers
05-17-2011, 02:42 PM
First OS now Futaba:

http://www.rc.futaba.co.jp/motor/

:)

Turner
05-17-2011, 06:42 PM
...I do like the fact the shaft/collet look to be of harder/quality material not the wonky stuff you get with cheap motors (and even some of the not so cheap ones)...

Hard to know for sure but it looks like there is no collet and the shaft is threaded directly on both the OS and Futaba motors. I for one would really welcome this.

kyleservicetech
05-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Hard to know for sure but it looks like there is no collet and the shaft is threaded directly on both the OS and Futaba motors. I for one would really welcome this.

Yeah, good point.

I've always worried about one of those collets coming off, and vanishing. It's hard to get a replacement, at least for the Hacker motors.

My Hacker A60 series motor also has a threaded shaft. Nice.

Dr Kiwi
05-17-2011, 10:52 PM
First OS now Futaba:

http://www.rc.futaba.co.jp/motor/

:)

Very likely exactly the same motors, made by an Asian 3rd party, who will put an OS, or Futaba, or "whomever", label on them.

subzJC
01-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Dr. Kiwi,

Now that its been awhile,
Have you had a chance to do any testing
on these motors?

Thanks!

Nitro Blast
01-17-2013, 09:05 PM
I just scored a pair of 3825/750's to fit into my Deuces Wild.

THANKS HIRCFLYER!!!

I'll post some pics when I get the moment or 4 to put them in.

subzJC
01-17-2013, 09:35 PM
? ? watt ? ?

Panther
02-02-2013, 01:55 AM
Great to see these companies diversifying. Hard for a large company to survive if they don't keep up with the times. I can imagine the cost of tooling up for production.