PDA

View Full Version : Handicapped parking

crxmanpat
04-21-2006, 11:55 PM
This is a true story.

Back in the mid '90s when I lived in Orlando, I was sitting in the DMV office waiting to be called to renew my car registration (boy how things have changed with the internet!). As I was waiting, and elderly lady in her '80s was getting her handicapped parking permit renewed.

Back in those days, permits were issued for 5 years at a time I think. She gets her permit and leaves the building. A few minutes later, she comes back in, and states matter of factly "You guys have overcharged me! There's no way I'm going to be around that long!" She smiles and walks back out the door.

Everybody in the DMV office had a good chuckle.

Gotta love old folks! :D

TLyttle
04-24-2006, 03:17 AM
Handicapped parking is very valuable to those who need it!

More than once I have seen some guy (usually) pull into such a spot, leap out of his car, grab a shopping buggy, and stroll int the supermarket.

I usually write a note and place it under his windshield saying, "Physically handicapped, you clown, NOT mentally!"

firemanbill
04-24-2006, 03:27 AM
now now... not all handicaps are noticeable. I agree most people misuse them but take me for example.

I have a 60% disability rating from the VA. Dang Gulf War, but that's another story. Anyway I can get a handicap tag tomorrow if I want , and some days I feel like I really need one and think about getting it. But then some days I feel good and can hop around with the best of 'em.

So if I got one for when I am really down and you saw me park one day where I was feeling preety good what would you think?

my 2 cents worth

Doppelganger
04-24-2006, 04:02 AM
Good point. Hmmm.. note to self...Steve don't egg Bills car at the supermarket. Got it.

Steve

firemanbill
04-24-2006, 12:31 PM
^lol^

TLyttle
04-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Hahaa!

I worked in the handicap transportation industry for many years, and I realise (better than most) your position, but my customers used to get the tag anyway. Then, if they felt energised, they would keep it in he glovebox and walk, but if they weren't up to it, take it out and hang it up.

No, I was talking about the 25-year-old with a ski rack on top and golf clubs in the back seat, and is clearly "leaping" out of his car with no sign of a physical handicap. I usually do this while my wife shops and I often get the chance to see the reactions: some look around, glaring ('cuz they got caught!), before ripping the note to shreds, others go quite red, and guiltily look around, before leaving, embarrassed. I have seen the same guys come into the lot later in the month, drive right by the Handicap spot, and hunt down another place: lesson learned. I've seen people with handicaps park there without using their tag, but not everyone sees them get out of their vehicle.

THEN there are the braindead yahoos whose jacked-up, jerked-around monster 4x4s won't fit into a standard spot, and so they use the handicap spot 'cuz it's wider! They ALWAYS get my note!

There are LOTS of us out there that really care, Bill, get a tag; you deserve it.

firemanbill
04-24-2006, 05:29 PM
We're on the same page T:D

It does drive me nuts to see the folks who do that. Another part of our society that has gone down the tubes I do believe. As long as we have a few folks keeping 'em honest we'll be ok. Now if we could only get more vigilante's like you!!! LOL... I'd love to see the look on some of their faces. Priceless

qban_flyer
04-24-2006, 05:32 PM
I have been disabled since 1998. That being said, there is one more thing thing that needs to be cleared here.

People using handicapped parking spots should either have licese plates or a placard hanging from their rear view mirror identifying them as such.

Failure to have that with me in or on the car forfeits me from using handicapped parking facilitues. Those who are not handicapped, or those who are and fail to have their "handicap" ID with them should not use the few spots reserved for us crippled folks. Makes no difference what type of handicap someone may have, the ID must be visible before the parking spots are to be used.

Being handicapped (crippled) is no joking matter.

Thank you.

firemanbill
04-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Well said Qban, well said.

ForestCam
04-24-2006, 06:18 PM
What I hate is when you use the handicap stall in the rest room and when you come out there's a ticket hanging on the door.

:p

Doppelganger
04-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Okay, so, what the hell am I supposed to do with these eggs now?:mad:

Steve

firemanbill
04-24-2006, 09:41 PM
Bake us a cake Steve!

redgiki
04-24-2006, 10:22 PM
What I hate is when you use the handicap stall in the rest room and when you come out there's a ticket hanging on the door.

:p

Luckily, I have never had that particular pleasure.

I always like the handicapped restroom seats because most times they're a little higher (I'm slightly tall, so that's more comfortable) and they have the cool aerodynamic look to them.

I like to pretend that I'm the pilot in Princess Amidala's cool swoopy Star Wars shiny spaceship and zoom around. I do get funny looks from people at the sink after they've heard "zoom! Zoop! Bleeow, Bleeow, Vraaooww...." from my stall. Lucky me, my purpose for being in the restroom usually creates sound effects I don't normally outside the facilities.

Explosions!

Bonus!

crxmanpat
04-24-2006, 10:36 PM
I like to pretend that I'm the pilot in Princess Amidala's cool swoopy Star Wars shiny spaceship and zoom around. I do get funny looks from people at the sink after they've heard "zoom! Zoop! Bleeow, Bleeow, Vraaooww...." from my stall. Lucky me, my purpose for being in the restroom usually creates sound effects I don't normally outside the facilities.

Explosions!

Bonus!
Ha, that is just too funny regiki. "Explosions" indeed! :p

It's a shame I did not have a pen and paper today at lunch. Went out to KFC and sat facing the window overlooking the handicapped parking spaces. Sure enough, a lady pulls up, hangs the handicapped placard up on her rear view mirror, gets out and walks normally into the store. She is a little heavy set, but does not seem to have any obvious mobility problems. She then stands in line for 10 minutes as the guy behind me placed a to go order for his entire office. Seems that standing in line did not affect her in any way.

OK, she might not have a noticable handicap, but she was suspect to me. Especially since she put the placard up after she had parked. Why not just leave it there all the time?

I had nothing to write with, so no "citizen's parking ticket" for her today!

trogdor
04-24-2006, 11:05 PM
It's illegal to have those placards up at all times (or even have anything hanging from your rear-view mirror, I believe) because it can block your view of the road.. it says right on them to remove before driving.

ForestCam
04-24-2006, 11:42 PM
Ha, that is just too funny regiki. "Explosions" indeed! :p

It's a shame I did not have a pen and paper today at lunch. Went out to KFC and sat facing the window overlooking the handicapped parking spaces. Sure enough, a lady pulls up, hangs the handicapped placard up on her rear view mirror, gets out and walks normally into the store. She is a little heavy set, but does not seem to have any obvious mobility problems. She then stands in line for 10 minutes as the guy behind me placed a to go order for his entire office. Seems that standing in line did not affect her in any way.

OK, she might not have a noticable handicap, but she was suspect to me. Especially since she put the placard up after she had parked. Why not just leave it there all the time?

I had nothing to write with, so no "citizen's parking ticket" for her today!
Being in the profession that I'm in I know that due to the C.D.A. (Citizens with Disabilities Act) it's illegal to ask someone what they're disability is, if they want to tell me what it is that's one thing but I CAN NOT ask, which is the same at every DMV in the U.S. All someone needs is a note from a Dr. stating that they are disabled and a handicap pass is issued.

crxmanpat
04-25-2006, 12:13 AM
It's illegal to have those placards up at all times (or even have anything hanging from your rear-view mirror, I believe) because it can block your view of the road.. it says right on them to remove before driving.
Good point. I know several states have that law. Funny thing is, she had like 3 air fresheners hanging too. She was also not of the local nationality. I won't say which one, but let's just say I live in Arizona.

Don Sims
04-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Looks like this one has gotten way off the humor mode so I'll move it over to off topic...

qban_flyer
04-25-2006, 01:57 AM
Being in the profession that I'm in I know that due to the C.D.A. (Citizens with Disabilities Act) it's illegal to ask someone what they're disability is, if they want to tell me what it is that's one thing but I CAN NOT ask, which is the same at every DMV in the U.S. All someone needs is a note from a Dr. stating that they are disabled and a handicap pass is issued.I think you had better check your facts FC before issuing a blanket statement such as you have done. No private individual has the right to ask what my disability may or may not be. The authorities are another matter altogether, they have a right to ask what they may wish and I the obligation to answer truthfully.

Here in MD, my cardiologist as well as my PCP had to fill two paged forms each describing my disability. Each had to specifically state what my disabilities were before a placard was issued. The same happened when a reserved disable parking spot was requested for me in front on my own single dwelling.

Too many people living in homes with too many cars forced me to have to walk 1 1/2 blocks on an almost daily basis just to park the car and get back to the house. That was before one handicap space was reserved for my exclusive use in front of my own home. Mind you, no other handicapped vehicle can park in that spot lest they wish to have a $150 citation issued.

There is a yellow handicap sticker on my windshiled matching the same number as listed on the sidewalk signs. Any car parked between them and not displaying the pasted on sticker matching that number, gets ticketed first, then towed away at its owner's expense.

Getting a handicapped placard in MD or license plates is not as easy as you may think. Been there, done that.

TLyttle
04-25-2006, 02:40 AM
Yeah, I remember some of my customers railing against the bureaucracy; some of these guys see paperwork as just another passport to a big pension. If someone comes into the DMV office in a wheelchair, what's the fuss?? Give the guy/gal her tag, and cut the crap!! Unfortunately, it then becomes a judgement call on the part of the Bureaucrat, and all the logic in the world won't displace one of those powerhungry a$$h011s when they have wo neurons fire at once.

Oh, dear, I guess I better take my meds....

firemanbill
04-25-2006, 03:25 AM
I know what ya mean there TL. After 9/11/01 The big deal in emergency services was radio interoperability. Different agencies within the same city could not talk to each other. That was true for NYC as well as thousands of other cities across the nation. So what do we do? form a comittee with govt beuracrats to fix the problem. Here we are almost 5 years later and still in the same boat in a lot of places.

Sad thing is the sytem to fix the problem already exists... in Europe. Has been in place since before 9/11... why not just copy what they have? all the govt employees looking for the fix would be out of a job!

darkside212
04-25-2006, 07:27 PM
I had a temp handicap placard. I broke my 3,4,5 metatarsals
I didn't use the HC all the time but when I was in a lot of pain I really needed it. I always got dirty looks or the "hey you're in a HC spot" I smiled and said I know!
People didn't realize that behind that smile was an enormous amount of pain with each step. While I do feel that those who abuse the spots should be prosecuted.....try to remember some HC's aren't as obvious
btw my foot still hurts some days...its like a built in barometer