PDA

View Full Version : New Forum (Sailplanes, slope, DS, Thermal)

fredeich
04-22-2006, 07:48 PM
I know this is powered aircraft but I feel that there should be a place for SLOPERS, SAILPLANES, DS, AND THERMAL. We could combine all these in one group to begin with.
I do both electric and sailplane and I know a lot of other do also.

Thanks for a great site
Fred

Twmaster
04-22-2006, 08:07 PM
I say nay. I think there are too many forums here already.

gdhampton
04-23-2006, 01:17 AM
I know this is powered aircraft but I feel that there should be a place for SLOPERS, SAILPLANES, DS, AND THERMAL. We could combine all these in one group to begin with.
I do both electric and sailplane and I know a lot of other do also.

Thanks for a great site
Fred

Maybe the Sailplanes-Electric forum could be renamed to include Slopers, DS and thermal?

I like the idea. Many people have these types of planes as well as their regular electrics.:D

Twmaster
04-23-2006, 01:22 AM
Why? This is an electric powered RC flying site. What's next? Slimers? Afterall they too have a battery...

Not trying to be a jerk but where does it end? Many here also fly slimers. You don't see any forums for them.

I thought we went over this sometime last year?

gdhampton
04-23-2006, 01:30 AM
Why? This is an electric powered RC flying site. What's next? Slimers? Afterall they too have a battery...

Not trying to be a jerk but where does it end? Many here also fly slimers. You don't see any forums for them.

I thought we went over this sometime last year?

It is just renaming an existing forum, not creating a new one.

I guess the Humor and Chit-Chat forums should be dumped, they don't have anything to do with flying electrics.:rolleyes:

Twmaster
04-23-2006, 01:32 AM
It is just renaming an existing forum, not creating a new one.

Then I'm fine with that.

I guess the Humor and Chit-Chat forums should be dumped, they don't have anything to do with flying electrics.:rolleyes:

That would not hurt my feelings any.

:D

gdhampton
04-23-2006, 01:53 AM
Then I'm fine with that.

That would not hurt my feelings any.

:D

I don't think it would hurt any either... Never know, you might want to slope that Slow Stick!?!?! I am going to try it one of these days.:D

Twmaster
04-23-2006, 02:43 AM
Never know, you might want to slope that Slow Stick!?!?!

Um. No. :D

I am going to try it one of these days.:D

Sicko! :p

gdhampton
04-23-2006, 05:23 AM
Ever fly your Stick in a big wind... hmmmm?;)

watt_the?!
04-23-2006, 10:49 AM
This suggestion was brought up last year and the concensus was a resounding no.

The reasons being along the line that there are other forums that cater for that genre specifically...mainly.

I even think it was public, so might be worth a search to see the discussion.

Cheers,

Tim

Don Sims
04-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Marc even offered to set up a new site to cater to the sailplane crowd.

Too bad the sites couldn't be linked and site members given the option of seeing the other forums. Default being specifically lectric or specifically sailplane.

Perhaps a option in the User CP area??? I have always wanted to get into the DLG area of the hobby.

Sky Sharkster
04-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Hi Fredeich, I tried to get a "Glider" Forum going (Thermal Duration, Hand Launch, Discus Launch, Slope, etc) last year, Admin posted a poll (General Electric Discussions, Page 12, 12-26-2005). The comments were mostly against it, but the poll was pretty close.
"Yes" 47.17% (25 votes)
"No" 52.83% (28 votes)
Maybe an addition to the Electric Powered Gliders Forum would be a better solution, since about half the responses were against making the site larger, the rest were against "Gliders" because they're not electric-powered.
Ron

watt_the?!
04-23-2006, 03:01 PM
i stand corrected.sorry about the resounding bit...thats what i get for going on memory eh?..maybe i have selectively remembered the comments only (?)..grasping as straws here..lol.

my apologies.

slipstick
04-23-2006, 04:15 PM
I know this is powered aircraft but I feel that there should be a place for SLOPERS, SAILPLANES, DS, AND THERMAL.
There are lots of places for them, RC Universe, RC Groups and many others. They're not hard to find ;).

Steve

Mike Parsons
04-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Indeed Marc did offer to build another side of this site dedicated to the silent flyers of Slope, Hand launch, Thermal, etc and requested folks to contact him if they were intersted in moderating/managing the forum. No one that I can recall took him up on it, so I am sure it has been pushed on the backburner.

Although I am not into this type of flight, I have always found it interesting. I would like to see a Slopeflyer.com or Silentflyer.com fora (both taken unfortunately) join the Wattflyer.com family.

-Mike

fredeich
04-24-2006, 11:53 PM
Hi Fredeich, I tried to get a "Glider" Forum going (Thermal Duration, Hand Launch, Discus Launch, Slope, etc) last year, Admin posted a poll (General Electric Discussions, Page 12, 12-26-2005). The comments were mostly against it, but the poll was pretty close.
"Yes" 47.17% (25 votes)
"No" 52.83% (28 votes)
Maybe an addition to the Electric Powered Gliders Forum would be a better solution, since about half the responses were against making the site larger, the rest were against "Gliders" because they're not electric-powered.
Ron

Sky Sharkster
This is a great forum and it is up to the members that use it.

I personally don't understand why a member would not want broaden the member base, and the information which comes from that base. My personal interest in sloping was developed from posts in another forum. I did not have any previous knowledge of this aspect of flying RC.

Thanks for the forum and the opportunity to express an opinion.
Fred

admin
04-25-2006, 01:19 AM
Fred,

we did decide to keep the wattflyer theme just electric to avoid confusion. One of the things we are trying to avoid is too many forums on one site where people have to sift through stuff or even figure out how to eliminate info. Just a reduction in complexity really.

At some point I would like to build a sailplane/glider/slope/etc dedicated site. I have a couple gliders here and have always been a fan of the "pure" side of flying without any add'l propulsion.

Sky Sharkster
04-25-2006, 01:53 AM
Here's a possible solution; Not add an additional Forum, complexity or navigation problems for the user; Just a Forum name change. Instead of "Sailplanes-Electric" call it
Sailplanes.
Who could object to that? All we're adding is members! Most if not all E-Flyers have flown gliders at some point (the same can't be said of glow, lots of E-Flyers have never flown glow) or would like to try it. The relationship between Sailplanes and Electric-powered aircraft is a long and historically important one; The first electric planes and most of the pioneer electrics were powered (converted) gliders. Militsky, Graupner, The Boucher Brothers, and others got viable electric flight started with powered gliders. For at least 10 years the only planes that could carry the battery weight were powered gliders. Look at the popular electric magazine titles; Quiet Flyer, Quiet and Electric flyer. Why are they linked?
Yes, it would make that Forum busy; Is that a bad thing? Those that don't care for gliders (of any type) can just skip it like they skip the "Sailplanes-Electric" now.
As one of the Moderators of the "Sailplane-Electric" Forum I would have no objection to the increased readership; In fact I'd welcome it.
Now if the readership and participation got really out of hand, that might be the time to pursue a separate Forum or Site. This could be a trial, to see what level of popularity a Sailplane Forum would reach. At the very least it would increase membership. Very few people fly only sailplanes; The next logical aircraft type to try is...Electrics. And vice Versa.
JMO
Ron

Geoff_Gino
04-25-2006, 07:33 AM
Here's a possible solution; Not add an additional Forum, complexity or navigation problems for the user; Just a Forum name change. Instead of "Sailplanes-Electric" call it
Sailplanes.
Who could object to that? All we're adding is members! Most if not all E-Flyers have flown gliders at some point (the same can't be said of glow, lots of E-Flyers have never flown glow) or would like to try it.
Ron

Personally think this is the best idea so far. Yes my glider is electric, but at the end of the day it's a glider and in 40 minutes or so the motor only runs for 90 seconds.

gdhampton
04-25-2006, 06:28 PM
This is the same thing I suggested in post #3... I agree.