PDA

View Full Version : Hyperion P-51 Maiden

Doppelganger
04-23-2006, 12:07 AM
Well, I finally maidened the P-51 today. It was bittersweet. I was a bit nervous today when I taxied out onto the runway. So I paused a moment to gather myself. After I relaxed I gave it the juice and was airborn. She required to clicks of down elevator, and nothing more. Man that plane is a great flyer. I flew a coule circuits then raised the gear. Everything is good so far. I did a couple inverted figure eights, a couple cubans, and threw in a stall turn or two. I was a little disappointed in the speed. But I have room to play. My setup only drew 29amps with an Axi 2826 3S2p 13x8 prop. would two 2s2p batteries fly it better?

Anyway. After about 6 minutes of flying I decided to bring it in. I had about a 5 mph headwind. I fugged up on my first attempt. The plane wasn't ready to land. So, the second time around I bled off a little more speed than the first pass. So far, so good. As I got over the runway, I set that Mustange down as gently as putting a baby to bed. Then all hell broke loose! First the right gear folded. Then the left. The plane skidded along the runway for about 20ft and stopped about 10 ft from me. Got a little road rash on the bottom of the cowl, and scuffed on wing tip. Not too bad. I found out later that both brass rods that connect the push rods to the wheels sheared. Both? Talk about cheap gear. So, all in all, it could have been worse. Next week it's the World Models .45 size P-51.

Steve

Sky Sharkster
04-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Hi Steve, sorry to hear about the landing gear, but it sounds like it flys pretty well otherwise! Don't see how you could have done much better on the landing, the hardware just isn't up to the task. Good luck with the big one!
Ron

Doppelganger
04-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks Ron. I checked and rechecked the gear of the larger P-51. The gear is of much better quality in my opinion. Time will tell though. I may just go with air retracts for the Hyperion. And maybe use the retract servo for anither plane. Still trying to decide. The hard part is having a good flying plane that is grounded. I refuse to hand launch this bird.

Steve

WWI Ace
04-23-2006, 07:06 PM
I'm glad you said something Doppelganger!! I was thinking of buying that plane for my first plane with retracts. I was a little worried about the price of the plane. I don't think I want to have to deal with debugging my first set of retracts. Guess I will look for something else. Steve.

Doppelganger
04-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Steve, it could have been a faulty set of retracts. But I remember reading a thread at RCUniverse, where quite a few people were complaining about the landing gear. Another thing about this particular plane that upset me is that the wings don't mesh with the fuselage. I'll have to use foam to get a snug fit. Others have noted this as well.

Steve

WWI Ace
04-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Hey Steve, (I feel like I'm talking to myself because our first names are the same!) thanks again for the heads up!!One of my flying buddies were going to buy one too. I'll let him know what you found out. Isn't Rio Rancho north of Albeqerque, (not sure if I spelled that right)? I live 55 miles from Amarillo. You live pretty close to Charlie that runs the laser cutting service www.manzanolaser.com (http://www.manzanolaser.com). He has some cool short kits if you haven't already checked them out. Again, thanks for the info. I don't want to get stuck with another dud like the Eflite Cessna. Steve.

Doppelganger
04-24-2006, 02:16 AM
Hey Steve, (I feel like I'm talking to myself because our first names are the same!)

Funny you should say that. I was thinking the same thing. And yes, Rio Rancho is just North of Albuquerque. I'll check out the link you posted. Thanks much.

Steve

firemanbill
04-24-2006, 02:49 AM
Too bad on the gear Steve, At least she flys well and you didn't tear it up:D

Do you have a hard time breathing during your maidens? Boy I sure do... didn't know I could hold my breath that long... One of these days I'll get over that I guess

Doppelganger
04-24-2006, 03:17 AM
Breathing, and the shakes. It used to be very bad. It's gotten a lot better lately. What works for me is to let everyone in earshot know that I'm scared to death. I usually ask for some duct tape, or a piece of string. When they ask why, I tell them it's to hold my knees together to stop the knocking. Once I hear the laughter, I relax a little, and give her the juice.

The problem with maidens is that you really have no idea what the plane will do. You try to build it the best you can. You double and triple check everything, from radio, to control surfaces, to your underwear! But man oh man, when she flies well, it is a wonderful feeling. :) Ummmm..... until the gear fails.:(

I love this Hobby!

Steve

firemanbill
04-24-2006, 03:22 AM
How long did it take you to get over it? Or at least to the point you are now?

I kind of want to know where I am on the chicken scale:D

Doppelganger
04-24-2006, 03:51 AM
For the first 10 months, I would ask one of the two best pilots we had at the club. If they weren't around, I'd do it myself. Since I've moved to New Mexico, Man, how do I say this without sounding conceited....I fly just as well as anyone in my club.:o So I might as well be the one to fly my plane. Plus, they mainly fly slimers, or floaty electrics. They aren't used to the high powered nimble electrics that I fly.

I remember the first time I maidened a plane myself, It was a Mini Super Sportster. I killed one a few months earlier when the main wings folded like a kim chee factory in the Bronx.:eek: I was terrified and shaking almost uncontrollably. Thats bad because I'd flown this same type of aircraft before. It gets easier with time. At some point you start have faith in your ability to fly your aircraft out of trouble.

I think the single most thing that kills a plane on a maiden, is the CG. Even more so than reversed ailerons. After I check my CG 5,000 times. I feel a bit more comfy when I maiden.

Steve

Jagzilla
04-25-2006, 02:30 AM
I'll add too much throw on the control surfaces(especially the elevator) can ruin a good maidening experience as well.
J

Doppelganger
04-25-2006, 03:45 AM
You got that right Pal.:eek:

Steve