PDA

View Full Version : Slow moving retracts?

Lancer31
04-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Howdy,all.

Lancer31
04-27-2006, 02:02 AM
Ayw

Doppelganger
04-27-2006, 02:34 AM
"We People" are just fine. Thanks for asking. You might try a little more patience. I use the "New Posts" button two, or three times daily, and this is the first time I've seen your post. You certainly wont get much help with that attitude. On the subject of retracts, I was thinking of getting some servo slowers myself. I think they look cool when deployed, or retracted in a scale manner. What size are your retracts? What type of plane are they installed in? I have two planes with retracts. A .25 size Hyperion-P-51 (retracts are crap), and a .45 size Airborne Models P-51.

The retracts on the Hyperion failed upon landing after the maiden flight. Both brass rods sheared. I havent flown the other plane yet. I still have to install the motor. The gear on that one is much better quality. I'll google the ones you found and perhaps pick up a couple. Hmmmmm you didn't post a link. Whats the matter with you?:D

Steve

Doppelganger
04-27-2006, 02:41 AM
Bummer, they won't work for me. I use "retract" servos. The website says I'll get undesireable effects.:eek: Bummer. http://www.dionysusdesign.com/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=41

Steve

Insagor
05-25-2006, 01:40 AM
Hey there. I have the dionysis rate reducer on a MiG-3 that I am waiting to maiden. I've done the typical tests on the ground and they seem to work great. I have it coupled to an HS-81 servo (single) for both retracts using the robart 1/2A retracts.

Have you gotten your "other" plane up with the retracts yet?

Dave

Doppelganger
05-25-2006, 02:57 AM
Hey Dave, No, I havent flown the other plane yet. Will finish it this week and fly it Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes. Tell me how your maiden goes.

Steve

Boomerang
05-25-2006, 07:09 AM
I used a little chinese servo slower, slows 2 channels but only one adjustment so both channels work at the same speed. Also, it will
only work on 'normal' servos, NOT special retract servos.

Used on doors & retracts on my model, check the results
for your self:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/BAC/B-36_video_page_.html

Regards, John.

watt_the?!
05-25-2006, 11:19 AM
my radio has servo slowdown....

Doppelganger
05-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Futaba 9C Super?

Steve

ampbomber
06-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Yes, it's a shame the radio manafactures don't make 180 degree "normal" servos for use on retracts so that they can be slowed down with a radio or servo slower. I've been into large electrics for the past 9 years and have had to modify normal high torque servos for my projects so that the gear could be slowed with the radio or door sequencer. My first mod was to a Futaba 130 oz/in servo ( used for retracts and flaps) in my Tu-4 and AEW planes. My current project, Tu-95 MS, requires more torque so I have had to modify some Futaba 200oz/in servos ( at 6v) to do the job. I would assume that the smaller servos could be modified in the same way to get 180 degree movement. If you are interested in doing this type of mod we can talk about it.

Insagor
06-11-2006, 02:20 AM
Steve,
Sorry for not posting earlier. Thought I'd let you know that the retracts worked the way they were supposed to. I ended up doing a nose landing though, screwed up in the wind on the down-wind leg to up-wind turn. No major damage though...

Have you gotten your other plane up yet?

Dave

Doppelganger
06-11-2006, 02:47 AM
Well, my maiden didn't go too well.:( My ESC couldn't handle the batteries I had for it. So I used smaller batteries thinking it may not be very powerful, but it will fly. Well, the batteries weren't enough. It tip stalled just as it lifted off the runway. I was somehow able to get the wings level. it hit the groung and slid into an embankment. Surprisingly there wasn't much damage. Just a busted servo arm, and a dent in the cowling. Plus, a few scratches.

Glad the bad landing didn't damage you bird too much. Hopefully, we have better luck next time.:)

Steve

Bill G
06-11-2006, 04:42 AM
I use the "New Posts" button two, or three times daily...
Steve

Is that along with the "Find Posts By" button?

Doppelganger
06-11-2006, 06:35 AM
Is that along with the "Find Posts By" button?

I don't understand your question. Please be more specific.

Steve

Bill G
06-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Howdy Lancer. I guess I'm on the same page here with you about these replys.

Edit: deleted content

Doppelganger
06-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Bill, I'm not sure why you're trying to stir up trouble, again. I guess it's your nature.

Steve

Insagor
06-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Steve,
Sorry about your maiden. ALWAYS go with more power;) I had a similiar issue with my zero, I was hitting the over-current limit on the bench, but I opted for the next up ESC and all went well with that one.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried switching props to either a smaller diameter or lower pitch to see if you didn't hit the current limit?

Hope your weekend went well!

Dave

Bill G
06-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Bill, I'm not sure why you're trying to stir up trouble, again. I guess it's your nature.
Steve

You mean like when I was tracked down to the Sugg forum, and my post between myself and admin was trashed out by another member?

Not sure what Lancer wrote, but it couldn't have been that bad?

Doppelganger
06-11-2006, 06:20 PM
(Ignors Bill)

Hey Dave, It was simply a case of being uderpowered. Lesson learned there. Again, I thought it would fly, just not very very fast. Most, if not all of my planes are overpowered. The P-51 will be very shortly.;)

Steve

Insagor
06-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Steve,
By the way, what's the WS and AWU of your P-51? I'm using a set-up in the zero that you may be interested in, if for no other reason, comparison shopping...

Motor: justgofly.com 450XT with the high KeV end bell
Battery: Tanic 2450 3S
Prop: APC 9x4.5SF (soon to try some other props for max efficiency)

The plane flies great, takes off ROG and has plenty of power, even for me. (I have a GSP P-26 with an O.S 1.08 and a 63" Extra 300 with a ST 90) Yes, I like to have plenty of spare power.

Dave

watt_the?!
06-11-2006, 10:29 PM
guys, the first post was about servo slowdown..the second was a pretty harsh comment about not getting any help in the poster's eyes of ''reasonable time''.
DG's response was well inline with the 2nd post, that's why we left it there.

no need to rehash that please.

on to slow servos.

Cheers,

Tim

Insagor
06-11-2006, 10:38 PM
watt_the?!
Sorry!

Dave

watt_the?!
06-11-2006, 10:48 PM
no no...i was referrring to the posts where the initial posts and responses were being rehashed.

please carry on...a little off tangent is ok as long as we get back at some point.

Bill G
06-11-2006, 10:55 PM
guys, the first post was about servo slowdown..the second was a pretty harsh comment about not getting any help in the poster's eyes of ''reasonable time''.
DG's response was well inline with the 2nd post, that's why we left it there.

no need to rehash that please.

on to slow servos.

Cheers,

Tim

Who's DG Tim? A new mod?
If it was your post, then fine, since its your job. Anyone else's, well then there stepping beyond their bounds. That said, we should be able to respond to that harshness as we feel too.

Bottom line: These things go on forever, when the comments are made by anyone other than a Moderator. Since 2 wrongs don't make a right, then can I respond to a harsh reply to a supposedly out of place comment, with another harsh reply? etc, etc...
The etc...is how it keeps going on forever.
No offense intended, but bad choice letting DG, whoever he is (don't know anyone here with that screen name) blast people. Do it yourself if its appropriate. I don't think anyone will be upset by that.

watt_the?!
06-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Bill...thanks for your post, you have valid points that WF can address. Please start a new thread addressing your concerns about this and then we can get all and sundry involved to arrive at an outcome. Feel free to use this thread as an example.

and come on Bill, the only person here in this thread with DG is Doppelganger....I am absolutely certain you know who I am referring to.

Cheers,

Tim

watt_the?!
06-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Futaba 9C Super?

Steve

JR9XII

Lancer31
06-12-2006, 03:02 PM
JR9XII My JR 10 channel has that feature, as well, but since my wife & I are building a pair of planes with retracts, and we want to use our Spektrum radios, we went with the Dionysus
units, coupled with Bluebird BMS-380MAX servos. These systems are working even better than we had hoped they would.
As to my second post in this thread, I really didn't intend that as flame-bait, but should have been more careful with word choice! What I really meant to express that day was that WattFlyer, overall, didn't seem to be moving and growing, like I think it deserves to.
If I came off as a helpless, whiney beginner, that even a moderator couldn't read, then I guess I deserved to get flamed.
Logging out.

peterangus
06-12-2006, 05:38 PM
The title of this thread points to a notable gap in the range of servos on offer.

I would like to see several sizes, with 180 degree [or near] travel, and 2 second transit time.

The best set-up is one servo per leg [avoids complex linkages]. Servos should be sized with this in-mind.

The long transit time equates to low power demand: small motors and easy on battery or BEC.

Lancer31
06-12-2006, 07:08 PM
The title of this thread points to a notable gap in the range of servos on offer.
To clarify, at the time I started this thread, I was unaware that a low-priced device was available to accomplish the action in question. I find the snap-up, snap-down, instaneous retracts abhorant to see. The Dionysus device is set at 4 seconds transit time, which, in my view, is as close to perfect as it needs to be for the
electric-powered, park-flyer-sized scale models, that are my current interest.
The BMS-380MAX, with metal gears and 57 oz. in. torque, will haul a pair of 2.5" wheels, and their legs, up with respectable authority, and plenty of reserve to handle 90 degree leg rotation, if need be.

Doppelganger
06-13-2006, 12:09 AM
Hello Lancer. I'd hardly call my response to you "flaming". If you felt that way, then please accept my apology. One of the other members just wanted to rattle a cage or two. I actually gave advice and asked questions. Heck, I even had a good ribbing at the end of my post. I'm glad you found a answer to your conundrum. And I agree that fast retracts are an assualt on the eyes!

Steve

Bill G
06-13-2006, 06:30 AM
I actually gave advice and asked questions. Heck, I even had a good ribbing at the end of my post.
Steve

Give that man a prize!:eek:

Nitro Blast
06-13-2006, 10:00 PM
I have used the 'servoslo' available from Hyperoion with good success. I like it a lot, but with a real retract servo, all it does is delay the time, not the speed of the retract.

Doppelganger
06-14-2006, 01:21 AM
I have used the 'servoslo' available from Hyperoion with good success. I like it a lot, but with a real retract servo, all it does is delay the time, not the speed of the retract.

Thanks for the info.

Steve