PDA

View Full Version : Dunedin Park Flyers

wolfewinde
08-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Heya Everyone,

This thread is for information and communication for those of us who fly, or who would like to fly, at the "Electric Only" field that the city of Dunedin has approved for our use.

Currently, there are around 20 RC pilots who fly there fairly regularly. You will usually find at least 5 or 6 pilots there on any given morning.

There is no formal club, and the rules of common sense and safety precautions apply. Beginners are welcome and will get some help getting started.

The field is located next to the art center in Dunedin, and is active every day from dawn until around 10 am

Wolfe (Doug)

wolfewinde
08-18-2011, 05:00 PM
A liitle mote info.

There is a pretty wide variety of piloting skill levels and airplane types that fly at this field. Seems like there are always 3 or 4 beginners, about that many experts, and the rest of us fall somewhere in between. Not too many 3D pilots - which is fine with me since I fly more scale - but there are a few. Also have a couple of heli pilots who fly there pretty often. Children are welcome as well, and there are few that fly there fairly often.

One of the most popular airplanes lately has been the HZ Champ - probably about 8 of the regulars have one - not all of them beginners. Have seen several of those in the air at once on a really calm morning.

There are also a lot of "Jack Built" foamy planes - mostly 3 channel trainers that are designed and built by a local pilot. They are excellent beginner airplanes and have become very popular. I have a couple of those that I use as "Grandkid Trainers"

Beyond those 2 are a real variety of airplanes that are flown regularly including a varity of Multiplex &Great Planes designs, and several Parkzone Warbirds among others. Most of planes flown are Park Flyers, although there are a handful of larger planes that are occasionally flown there plus a few UM's and couple of small EDF jets.

New on the scene is a PZ SE5a which flies very well and a Cox Sky Cruiser which also flew pretty well.

It's pretty good group of guys and the atmopsphere is friendly and pleasant. As I said, newcomers are made to feel welcome and given assistance if they need it.

The flying field is all grass - no runway - so most everyone runs larger wheels on their planes. There is a small paved parkng lot are that can be used to take off and land if you are skilled enough to use it, but if you land long, you are in trouble.

I will try to keep this thread somewhat active for a while to see if others join in.

Wolfe

tampaflyer
08-18-2011, 11:00 PM
awsome , close by....

please if they use facebook i started a group there..... for the bay area...

please start your own if you use facebook? i'll join

also the electrics are also getting more popular.. and TRAC is haviing an all electric event in OCT 2nd.

please see and tell anyone....
www.wattfest.com (http://www.wattfest.com) wich is also on facebook too..

lets try to connect with each other.. love to meet new flyers...

wolfewinde
08-19-2011, 02:37 AM
I put in a request to join your facebook - very new to facebook so not yet able to use it well.

I will probably fly Sat and Sunday morning if the weather is good. Just ask anyone to point me out if you stop by - name is Doug.

I am usually theer from around 8:30 am until about 10 am on weekends - sometimes earlier.

Where exactly is the TRAC field at?

Wolfe

tampaflyer
08-19-2011, 02:43 AM
trac is behind the TA truck stop on the landfill. I-4 to the first exit to the east(579). go north to pruett, go east to taylor rd, turn south..

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=7208+Taylor+Road,+Seffner,+FL&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.885543,86.572266&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=7208+Taylor+Rd,+Seffner,+Florida+33584&ll=28.017486,-82.292576&spn=0.004471,0.010568&z=17

SteveCrosby
03-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Just moved to Dunedin a couple months ago and looking to meet some airborne locals. I used to race 1/8 scale Buggies and 1/8 scale Unlimited Hydroplanes both nitro. Have never took to the skies but have recently purchased a EDF to train with. Hey Wolfe, could you please contact me and assist in getting in touch with some of the local guys. I am 2 min from the Civic Center and can't wait to get in the sky. Please PM me so I can get in the loop.