PDA

View Full Version : Focke Wulf 190 ARF $ 100.00

Sky Sharkster
04-26-2006, 11:50 AM
Park Zone recently released a Focke Wulf 190 (RTF) complete with radio. At the time they didn't list many spare parts, just a prop and cowl. But, Like the Stryker and other PZ aircraft, it was only a matter of time before they started offering "spare" parts. I must credit ILVSMOG for his recent post on "Hi-Performance E-Flight Aircraft", it reminded me to check the PZ site; Sure enough, they now have a long list of parts, last item, a "Replacement Airframe" including painted fuselage, wing and tail, installed pushrods and clevis, gearbox, motor and prop, painted pilot. $139.00.
If you plan to upgrade the motor the price of the (painted, but no internals) Fuselage is $30.00, Wing $38.00, Horz. Stab $13.00, Decals $5.00, Pilot $5.50,, Spinner $3.50, Canopy $3.50 and cowl $6.00. It all comes to a little over $100.00.
This is a "480"-sized model, bigger and heavier than the typical "400" Warbird and would need slightly larger internals but is certainly an less expensive way to get a "Butcher Bird" than the RTF, $20.00 cheaper than the Alfa version and $40.00 less than the Flying Stryo, both offered by Hobby Lobby.com.
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/RelatedParts.aspx?ProdID=PKZ1600&Category+parts
Just another "Warbird" choice!
Ron

crxmanpat
05-02-2006, 10:51 PM
I was looking at the parts list the other day, and I seemed to recall that the "replacement airframe" was only $99.99. I just checked again and it is (Item #PKZ1670). Basically, it looks like everything except the radio, electronics and battery. I have enough spare stuff lying around to turn this into a 72mhz plane. I must seriously consider placing an order....

Sky Sharkster
05-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Hi Pat, you're right! How did you find that? I looked at the entire parts list again and still didn't see it. But a "Search" for PKZ1670...and there it was. How do you get to it from the FW 190 page?
Ron

crxmanpat
05-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Ron,

From the Fw-190 main product page (http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZ1600), look over to the right for something that says "You might also be insterested in...", and click on "Parts List". Scroll to the bottom and there it is. I found it by accident. I was going through the parts listing and adding up everything needed except the radio, electronics and battery and just happen to see it at the bottom. :D

Edit: I guess this means Horizon finally wised up and put out an ARF so to speak. :p

Sky Sharkster
05-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Hi Pat, That's it! Wish I'd have found that before I added everything up separately! Anyway, good work! Here's the direct link;
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZ1670
Thanks again
Ron

crxmanpat
05-03-2006, 12:35 AM
No problem. Now your thread title is acurrate.

DerGoetz
05-04-2006, 05:20 AM
I'm ahead of you guys, I ordered that airframe kit the very day Horizon got it in :)
I went a little bit overboard, hahaha, and am running a AXI 2814/10 and a 2p3s 1500 (making it 3000) 15C pack. Maiden was planned to be this weekend, but I dont have anyone to throw it for me this weekend. Man....

crxmanpat
05-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Maiden was planned to be this weekend, but I dont have anyone to throw it for me this weekend. Man....
Heck, with that power system, you should be able to point it straight up, go WOT, and just let it climb out of your hand! :p

DerGoetz
05-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Already tried. It might, but it was merely "dancing" in my grip when I held her straight up. Unlike my Alfa FW on a 2808, that one accelerates up :D

crxmanpat
05-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Is that 2814/10 a direct geared replacement of the stock brushed motor, or is it direct drive? I don't know anything about the AXI motors.

ILVSMOG
05-04-2006, 07:07 PM
The AXIs are outrunners. Thanks to PZ overbuilding the inner structure of the FW190 just a bit, you can make a motor plate fairly easily to mount dang near anything on this plane. I posted a pic of my setup in the other thread I think. Right now, the "ARF" 190 is my favorite flyer. :D

Sky Sharkster
06-05-2006, 02:27 PM
The Park Zone Focke Wulf 190 "Airframe" price has gone down $10.00, it's now $89.99. The bad news? It's backordered, ad says "Late July". Same link, post #5, here.
Ron

crxmanpat
06-05-2006, 04:18 PM
I was in one of my LHS' on Saturday, and was checking out their prices on the P-51D and Fw-190 box. To my surprise, they were listed at $99.99, and all of the stickers said "P-51D Replacement Airframe", even on the Fw-190. But, these are the boxes that the RTF package comes in that should retail at $179.99 (I don't see why they would stock replacement airframes).

I am very tempted to buy the Fw-190 at the marked price, but I think I will do the right thing and point out the error to them. Besides, I have to return 2 Firebird Scouts today that I bought from there a few weeks ago. They were clearing them out at $30 each, RTF. Flew both of them once, but now they will not respond when you plug in the battery. Bought these to use as club planes for the kids to fly. Oh well, I need parts to finish my Stevens Stella anyway, so I will use these proceeds.

Sky Sharkster
06-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Hey, Pat, I'm proud of you, buddy! Some would have snatched the box, paid the $100.00 and ran out the door! Not that their radios are that good, it's just the idea of the "bargain". I wonder if the LHS paid the "airframe" price ($99.99 minus their discount)? If so, it's a real steal.
Or, just maybe, the PZ folks started to figure out we don't want the RTF and are shipping airframes in the RTF box? So many possibilities, so little time!
How's the Electric club going? We lost our "All-Electric" site and most members joined a larger "Glow" club as dual members, still keeping the Rocky Mountain Electric Flyers charter alive. The Arvada Associated Modelers took in the homeless waifs, as long as we're quiet...well, our motors are quiet! Anyhow, that's where we're having the "Fun Fly" the 24th, huge site, two flying areas, Heli pads, site for R/C cars and next proposal, U-Control circles! Fun for all.
See you,
Ron

crxmanpat
06-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Ron,

I think it's just a simple mis-mark of the box. This place has gone through a recent upheaval (new Manager, uneducated kids are gone), and one of the things they have done is to get prices on everything. This place was in real sad shape up until about a month ago. In their haste to get price stickers on everything, I think someone new just looked up the wrong item number and printed the wrong sticker.

So, I will play honest Sam, and let them know of their mistake. Since I am the president of our club (still looking for a permanent home), I am working on trying to get a "club member discount" with them. This may help in showing that we are good guys.

We had a call with the City of Mesa last week regarding finding a designated site to fly. Unfortunately, there was a public vote early last month on raising property taxes, and the public voted it down. Now, the City is short on cash, and all non-essential programs are on hold. Oh well, we are still trying to find some unimproved park land and see if they'll let us use it, even if we have to maintain it ourselves. Wish us luck!

crxmanpat
06-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Or, just maybe, the PZ folks started to figure out we don't want the RTF and are shipping airframes in the RTF box? So many possibilities, so little time!
I think Horizon finally realized that a lot of people like these airframes, but are not impressed with having to use 27mhz radio equipment. That's why they now offer the full "replacement airframe" (I think this is a recent developement as the full airframe was not available a few months ago, I looked).

They would probably make even more money if they convinced the LHS' to stock these replacement kits, or just offer it as an ARF instead. I have 3 radios now, 1 for the P-51, 1 for my Firebird Commander II, and 1 for all my other planes. It would be nice to just have 1 radio for all my planes.

Sky Sharkster
06-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Hey, Pat, sorry to hear you don't have a permanant flying site yet. We've been through 2 and now on our 3rd, in less than 4 years...our group was flying together for awhile before we "Chartered". Hope you find one soon, but dealing with City Councils and State agencies is such a hassle.
About the LHS discount, if they don't want to do that (or even if they do!) it's worth it to ask the manager for an electric "Trainer" plane. We got 4 (!!) that way, they understand that new flyers that are successful initially, become regular customers. All the LHS needs is some free promo and maybe their logo on the wing. We have "Slow Sticks" "E-Starter" and a speed 400 E-Glider, The Koyosho "E-Hawk". Plus radios, batteries, etc. The club members donated little items like extra batteries, props. I built (assembled?) 3 of the planes and they all get used as trainers.
I hope you're right about PZ, they've got to realize from the way "Stryker" wing/fuselages are selling, experienced flyers don't want 27mHz radios. I wonder how much more the RTF would cost if it was an 72mHz FM radio with decent servos and RX? Maybe that's the point, if it was $300.00 (I'm guessing) they might not sell.
Again, good luck with a flying site!
Ron

crxmanpat
06-06-2006, 02:04 AM
So I stopped by the LHS on the way home and informed them of their error. As it turns out, of the two P-51 boxes on the shelf, one was actually a replacement airframe. It comes in just a slightly smaller box, and is clearly identified on the box as a replacement airframe. The two Fw-190s on the shelf were the full kit, radio and all.

They said they would order some of the replacement Fw-190 airframes from Horizon once they are off backorder. Seems like a lot of modelers were thinking along the same lines as us. :p

DetroitHawk
06-10-2006, 07:16 PM
I have been flying the Stryker F27B for about a month now, I go up i fly loops/rolls/inverted and i can actually now land where i intend on landing, i have had my eye on the P-51 or the FW-190. Here are a few questions.

What are the advantages of the 190 over the 51?

Is the 190 out of the box a plane worth buying in the first place?

Being that this plane has the same controller as the F27 will it fly in a very similar nature as the F27?

Grasshopper
06-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Hey DH,

I've been flying the P-51 for several months now and it's an OK plane. It's my understanding the Focke Wulf has some improvements to it to overcome some of the problems with the P-51 like the battery hatch door. There's a thread somewhere here on the FW 190 that might help. I'm getting ready to change the P-51 over to Lipos which should make it a totally different flyer. I have yet to hear anything bad about the FW 190 and it is certainly a good looking plane. You can also buy just the airframe for $100 and put your own system in it so you're not tied to the PZ systems. Good luck with your decision.

DetroitHawk
06-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Hey DH,

I've been flying the P-51 for several months now and it's an OK plane. It's my understanding the Focke Wulf has some improvements to it to overcome some of the problems with the P-51 like the battery hatch door. There's a thread somewhere here on the FW 190 that might help. I'm getting ready to change the P-51 over to Lipos which should make it a totally different flyer. I have yet to hear anything bad about the FW 190 and it is certainly a good looking plane. You can also buy just the airframe for $100 and put your own system in it so you're not tied to the PZ systems. Good luck with your decision.

well i already ordered a stryker C. I need something to get me thru until then, while my stryker is fun, i would like to get another plane. On design alone the FW190 looks like you have more room for upgrades ie motor and batt. I am just wondering if i should spend the money and get the FW190 or should i go for the typhoon 3d.

Sky Sharkster
06-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Hello DetroitHawk, in regard to the FW 190, a couple of things to keep in mind; The FW 190 is a larger plane overall than either the Stryker or PZ P-51. Those are "speed 400" size and the FW is designed for a "480" sized motor. It's about 20% bigger in every dimension (including weight) than a typical "400" model. If you plan to upgrade the motor, that motor won't be the right size for your other "400" size planes, and vice versa.
Another thing to bear in mind, the Stryker is a pusher delta wing with elevons; It will have a vastly different response than a tractor-power conventional airplane. The most obvious difference will be in stall tendency. Another difference will be in roll response. The only thing the Stryker and FW 190 have in common (besides the manufacturer) is they are both 3 channel R/C electric aircraft. There's no real answer to which one is better; They're too different.
My sugestion is to invest in a quality FM Radio and not be limited by "Park Zone" or other RTF's. Right now your choice is between 3 airplanes. With a new radio, you can fly any airplane.
Good Luck, whatever you decide!
Ron

crxmanpat
06-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Ron,

If I'm not mistaken, the P-51 is also a 480 size (I should know, I've pulled the motor out enough times :p). I have one, and I have seen the P-51 and Fw-190 side by side, and both seem to be about the same dimensions. I'm pretty sure anything that would be a direct replacement on one, would work on the other.

Grasshopper, I have switched to lipo on my P-51 already, TP 2100 3S pro-lites. There is some performance improvement, but not a whole lot. Don't expect a vast difference. But, now it flies like a P-51 should. It's more scale-like with lipo (just don't forget to pull off jumper #3 on the board!). The little extra juice helps.

DetroitHawk
06-10-2006, 10:13 PM
The way i look at it is that i can buy the FW190 for $158 at my local store. As aposed to the $100 body that is on back order: so for $60 i get the controller,bat, and motor.

I really should go with a nice FM controller, however this is my first year flying and i need to know what i would like later. If i tire of the FW190 it would be easy to sell if it is RTF.

Now lets say you wanted to go brushless in the FW190 i would strongly think about buying my own radio. I am looking over the logistics of what i want this plane to do. Resale is a serious option, if the plane flys nice i would love to put a nice size bushless in the plane to give it the power to really make this plane fun.

My quiestions is; out of the box is the FW-190 a plane worth buying? Will it be something that i could pilot or is this plane prone to fly poorly.

Grasshopper
06-10-2006, 10:33 PM
CRX, you are correct that the P-51 is a 480 also. I believe they used alot of the same parts on the FW. Thanks for the advice on the lipos. The only reason I haven't changed mine yet is because it just gives me that many more batteries to use. I've got 3S 2100 15Cs in my P-47. I'll use the same in the P-51.

Detroit, if cost is an issue, you could always fly the FW 190 stock for a while and gut it out later to change to a new system. I'm planning on gutting my P-51 and putting it on my Spektrum with brushless. It's my understanding that the FW flys very well out of the box (for what it is). Don't expect it to tear up the skys or do really quick rolls and outside loops. However, if you're wanting to fly scale, it will do that. Also, don't expect it to fly like a trainer because it certainly isn't that either. If you don't have an advanced pilot to help you maiden it, I would highly recommend at least someone else tossing it for you on the maiden. You never know what it's going to do the first time out of the shoot and you really need both hands on the controls.

Tom

crxmanpat
06-11-2006, 02:35 AM
DH,

Tom has given good advice. I would also say, for the first flight have some up and right dailed in. If it's anything like the P-51, it will want to torque roll to the left and nose dive a little on launch. I think it's all a matter of how you launch also.

And FYI, the replacement airframe for $100 does include the stock motor and gearbox. All you need to supply is an ESC, Rx, battery and 2 servos (Hitec HS-55s or E-flite S75s would work fine). And of course your own Tx. If you have them already, then go this route. If you currently have no equipment, then RTF would be good.

A word of warning. If you are not yet proficient at flying at least a 3-ch plane (motor, elevator, rudder/aileron), then you would be wise to get some experience prior to flying this bird. Just because it is sold RTF, does not mean any novice pilot can just chuck it and fly. I crashed my P-51 two bad times (and it spent 2 months sitting on the bench) before I had enough experience with my slow stick to be able to fly it.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

DetroitHawk
07-23-2006, 04:33 AM
Ok, so i am thinking about getting a DX-6 controller and either the FW190 or the P-51.

If i wanted to put a brushless motor in either of those two planes which is the better choice?

I like the way the P51 looks, but if the fw190 is better suited for a brushless, i would change my mind.

DerGoetz
07-23-2006, 04:45 AM
The Focke Wulf is absolutely superior when it comes to updating to your own brushless system. It has not only the hatch on top, it has a completely different structure inside.

Its almost like it is made to fit a Lipo Aftermarket pack (Have a 2100 20C in mine, 3s1p). And you can just cut out a round piece of plywood, flatten (by sanding or dremeling) the plastic firewall of the Focke Wulf and then eopxy/screw your plywood firewall to it, throw on your motor and place the Lipo pack RIGHT behind the firewall, positioned vertically, and you are on your CG. Drill holes into the firewall and the Lipopack will have optimal cooling. All I did though was place two servos in the wings for ailerons and run a 1/3 inch carbon rod through the whole wing. before that it was jsut too weak, and the P51 has that very same flaw. Good enough for stock. Underdimensioned for my 90mph setup, endless vertical.

A friend of mine has the P51. We opened the box, saw how that kit takes a LOT more work to adopt to Brushless and guess what. I have been flying my 90mph parkzone Focke Wulf for over a month now, his P51 is still in the box.

Yeah, the P51 looks faster on the ground, but the FW190 is faster to get into the air.
Hope this helped, and feel free to ask me for details, even pics.

DetroitHawk
07-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Alright now we are talk'n, post a picture of what your set up for the 190 looks like.

I want to know how to make a FW190 go 90mph. Give me a run down on which brushless you used and anything else you need.

I am going to order the ARF FW190 kit tomarrow so i should have it with in a week.

DerGoetz
07-23-2006, 06:09 PM
OK, hope this helps. I cannot remove the cowl without taking the glued-on spinner and the folding-prop apart.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14549&stc=1&d=1153673766

Here you can see the firewall I installed.
I dremeled the old plastic firewall flat, and then used epoxy to attach the plywood firewall.

Next step was installing the AXI 2808/16. The sidethrust and downthrust that Parkzone had predesigned turned out to be perfect.

I use an 8*5 folding prop, since the plane comes in a little bit more hot. Or so I thought. As a matter of fact it slows down to a crawl. So, I bet you can go with a standard 8*5 prop.

I have a 36amp ESC, 21003s1p 20C.

I decided right away to install designated aileron servos.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14551&stc=1&d=1153673766

Yeah, its fugly, but hey....if you fly fast enough, nobody will see it, hahha.

The stock aileron linkage setup is soft and will not only flutter, but you will end up with the linkage bending and no ailerons at higher speeds.

Not only that, on maiden flight the wings went up to almost a V when I pulled the elevator. Therefore I installed a carbon-pipe as a wingrod. And here is how I did that:

I cut a 15 inch long piece, slid it all the way into one winghalf, using the hole that was precut in the middle of the wing. Sure, I had to push hard, and drive it through the styro, but it was in the end worth it. Once it was all the way in one half of the wing I was able to pull it back, whilst sliding it half-way into the other winghalf. Hope this makes sense. In the end I ended up with a Carbon instead of Styro wingrod. Zero Flex. Stiff as Nails and let me tell you, the G's I am pulling now are insane, hahha. If you look closely at my aileron pic, you will see a yellowish area to the left. That is where the carbon rod inside the wing ends and that is where I epoxied glass. Otherwise the new carbon wingrod might break through the styro at positive G's. Hey, no-one said it's easy to build a 90mph+ Parkzone flier. But trust me, the whole project will take no more than 2 hours. And this setup will get rid of some of the dihedral, as well. I mean, it is obvious that this is no beginner's plane anymore and loosing some of the dihedral will further the acrobatic capabilities. It will track a lot better since it doesnt self-correct on that axis but rather stays the way to put it up there in the skies. Check out the front shot. There still is plenty of it, but noticably less.

And the CG is only to be achieved if everything is right up front.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14550&stc=1&d=1153673766

Do you see the space between the firewall and the plastic?? That is where my pack slides in vertical.

We radar'd at 90mph. Endless vertical. Takeoff is aiming at the skies and letting go, haha.
Make sure to drill plenty of holes into the firewall, the setup is drawing 34 Amps and the pack will get very hot if you dont pay attention to cooling.
The holes are not yet present on the pics I posted. There is one big one on top, but since the pack sits vertical behind the firewall it was necessary to cheesehole the whole square of the firewall where the pack touches.

And considering its characteristics, the plane flies perfect. At stall it simply sinks through, mine does not wingtip at all, it almost behaves like a Delta on stall. And the roll-rate is at around 3 to 4 per second, with my dual-servo setup at full throttle. And it tracks like being on rails. But please, be VERY easy on the elevator throws. You might maiden a plane that is not flyable if you go with the stock settings.

And make sure to be dead-on with the CG. The CG information is somewhat hidden in the middle of the manual, and make sure to buy
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK259&P=ML
Every LocalHobbyStore has this thing in stock (or so I hope).
The best $s you can possibly spend, hands down. My whole fleet of planes, from my 32" combats to my glow conversions, fly like a dream now that I apply this machine. I always thought the good old fingertip approach was suffice...and man, was I wrong.

Goetz

Twmaster
07-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Gee that's a good deal for an airframe then. It surprisingly even looks decent for a PZ plane. I'd be all over that except I just made a deal on an old Scorpio FW-190.

DerGoetz
07-23-2006, 09:13 PM
I have that kit as well.
Be careful, the glue comes apart at the seams. Especially dangerous on the leading edge. The wing tend to "open up" and burts. You might want to strengthen that very seam with glass.

DetroitHawk
07-23-2006, 10:44 PM
I made a CG for my stryker. I am sure i will use one for this 190 project.
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/7728/cgjigyq4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
So did you put a servo in the wing on each side?

What size carbon fiber rod did you use in the wing?

Grasshopper
07-23-2006, 10:51 PM
I like your CG stand. Do you have to tune it before use?

DerGoetz
07-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Regarding the Carbon Rod, it is around a 1/4 inch thick, I would say (I am German, have a hard time getting a feel for the inches, fahrenheit etc...hahha). Its ok if it bends slightly under load, so does mine.

And yes, cheapo servos for each aileron, didnt even use Dual rate, went out on a Y-cable.

DetroitHawk
07-27-2006, 04:07 AM
Ok the plane is on it's way, but i have a few questions:

what brushless motor did you put in your fw190?

What ESC did you use?

Is the stock prop ok or do i need a different one?

Twmaster
07-27-2006, 04:40 AM
Say there Mr. 'Troit, he mentions the motor and ESC above. :)

DerGoetz
07-27-2006, 05:28 AM
Yeah, I listed everything up above.
AXI 2808/16
Folding Prop 8*5
Any 36-40 amp ESC will do.

You can get everything from Hobby-lobby, for example.
Good luck and have fun :D

DetroitHawk
07-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Ok so i got my plane today,

Just so i am clear on a few issues:

You did scrap the gear drive that the plane comes with, and just went with your brushless direct drive to the prop.

I am also unclear on where exactly you put the servos for the ailerons. In the picture it looks like you put them in wing right next to the ailerons.

DetroitHawk
07-30-2006, 02:46 AM
i went with a hacker brushless A30-SS2 series for planes 20oz to 60 oz with 290watts.

40A ESC

DerGoetz
07-30-2006, 02:52 AM
Yeah, I took the original motor-unit out and flattened the plastic firewall. After that I installed a plywood firewall in front of it for added strength.

Servos for ailerons go right into the wing.

Just look at the pic:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=14551&d=1153673766

I cut open a rectengular opening, superglued the servos in on each side. Basic, dirty and fast. Hahha. Installed rudder horns, made linkages...done.
Be sure the setup everything before applying glue. Once the servo is glued in..its glued in.

Twmaster
07-30-2006, 03:18 AM
Suggestion. Use hot glue instead of super glue (CA) to install those servos. Be a bit easier to get them out if you need to service them.

DerGoetz
07-30-2006, 04:35 AM
Yeah, good point. But I never expected my Focke Wulf to last for too long, definitely not longer than those servos.
I'm flying gliders a lot, and the approach to installing wing servos on those ... a whole different story. A mix of Goop and shrink-tubing.

DetroitHawk
07-30-2006, 06:16 AM
Well this is a start, i measured the distance the prop was stock and made my mount to be in the same position. I made lots of room for air to cool the guts of the plane too.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5728/motormounthackerug9.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Next is the carbonfiber rods and servos for the wing.

the hacker motor i got is a:

A30-22S
1440Kv (RPM/V)
70g (2.5oz)
16A continuous, 28A burst
2-3 cell LiPo
Shaft 4.0mm

using the thunderpower 11.1v 2100mah

estimating the plane is going to be some where around 30oz

I got a 9x6 prop, is that too much for this motor?

DerGoetz
07-30-2006, 07:49 AM
I think it is way too much. A 8*5 should be better. With THAT kind of KV. I can only guess, but you might end up North of 40 amps :o

Very tidy work so far! Thumbs up!

DetroitHawk
07-30-2006, 07:20 PM
I think it is way too much. A 8*5 should be better. With THAT kind of KV. I can only guess, but you might end up North of 40 amps :o

Very tidy work so far! Thumbs up!

hmmmmm, what would be a good way to test if that prop is too much?

Twmaster
07-30-2006, 07:27 PM
You need a whattmeter

DetroitHawk
08-01-2006, 02:49 AM
DerGoetz,

How did you hide the servo wires inside the wing without weakening the wing?

DetroitHawk
08-02-2006, 04:47 AM
This is my first build and my second airplane so i need a little help on a few questions.

Is there any method to which connection goes into which port in the ESC?
http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/6047/5394gt1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I decided to go with one servo for now in my FW190 wing, can anyone tell me if there is something wrong with the way i have the server connected?
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6652/servoquestionna8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I made the motor mount so the firewall screws on to the stock motor holes, so i also made it so i could remove the entire mount by removing the motor. So i use a little gorilla glue to make some set screws.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6834/fw190motormountuf1.gif (http://imageshack.us)

The stock screws seem to hold the new mount very nicely, i picked the plane up by the mount and gave it a few shakes it feels solid.

crxmanpat
08-02-2006, 06:53 AM
DH,

On the first question, hook up the wires any way you want, it doesn't matter. If you find that the motor runs in reverse, then simply switch any two wires around, it doesn't matter which two.

Second question, looks like you have the servo hooked up OK. It looks just like that in my P-51. However, if you haven't done so, I would center it first (plug it in to power and let the servo center itself, and make sure your trims are set to neutral when you do it).

And finally, how much flying experience do you have so far? Forgive me if this was posted up above in this thread. Since you said this is your second plane, I'm just trying to determine your skill level before you attempt to maiden this bird. I mean no offense by this. Here's why:

I started flying on 12/26/05 with a Firebird Commander 2 (2-ch only, rudder and throttle). After few weeks of flying this, thinking I had the hang of this RC thing, I bought my P-51. Needless to say the maiden only lasted a few minutes until the plane finally got too far ahead of me. Two months and many flights on a GWS Slow Stick later and I finally had enough skill to fly the P-51.

I would just hate to see you trash a new plane, especially after spending so much time on the upgrades. Fortunately for me, the damage on mine was repairable (did not go in nose first thank goodness!). Good luck to you.

DetroitHawk
08-02-2006, 12:36 PM
I have been flying for almost 3 months now. I started on a F-27 stryker, and have atleast 100+ flights under my belt. I have flown this plane in FMS quite a few times, granted this plane should fly NOTHING like the sim, but the controls are the same.

Here is the skill level i am at in this short video.

http://media.putfile.com/BEE-42

DetroitHawk
08-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Ok so the build is done, i went with the 8x5 prop. Should top out at about 70mph on flat and i am sure it will be more in a dive.

http://media.putfile.com/fw190-brushless

this is a 1 minute video that shows everything i had to do to the plane. Tomarrow i send her up and see what i have,

wish me lucky and hope i won't need it.

crxmanpat
08-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Good luck DH. Here's hoping for a successful maiden!

DetroitHawk
08-06-2006, 06:41 PM
http://media.putfile.com/Fw190-first-flight

Flew awesome! SO much fun.

DetroitHawk
09-12-2006, 01:03 PM
Well i got tired of landing in the weeds with this plane so i decided to make a landing gear with the help of my friend. I took it out last night and got it to taxi perfectly. This will be the first plane with a rudder for me.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7427/landinggearpicsoo0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

DetroitHawk
09-18-2006, 10:35 PM
http://media.putfile.com/landing-gear-37

well i changed the plane a little but it seems to work nice, just need cement to land on.

DetroitHawk
09-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Well the plane flys nice and fast, the first cement landing was perfect as in this video:
http://media.putfile.com/fw190

However the second landing in the video is how the majority of them went. I needed to rethink how i should do this and this is what i came up with. The second version uses the structure behind the foam to give it a much cleaner look and it seems to be alot stronger, i also went with 3" foam wheels to replace the 1 3/4" rubber ones. (the weight was the same)

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/9694/fw190landingv2eu9.gif (http://imageshack.us)

The plane is balanced and ready to fly as soon as the weather is permitting.

ducatirdr
10-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Had a bit of wind pick up just as I was landing today and caught a wingtip. No drama at all as the plane just slid sideways on its belly and ended up sliding to a halt tail first. I swapped out the battery pack and tossed her into the air.

Hmm seems to be a bit of down trim as I was flying with the stick pulled back. Not an issue as I sometimes trim the plane nose down to keep it from ballooning at higher speed passes. I then felt a chill of OH OH as I felt the edge of the range of up on the transmitter as the stick was bottomed up just to keep some altitude while turning it back toward myself. I got the plane up about 70 feet as I made the downwind turn and side slipped as I was a bit too agressive with the aileron and no elevator. I started losing a lot of altitude as I was now right over the gravel parking lot. I had full up and I wasn't going to make it. I started to cringe and almost let go of the stick right before it pulled out about 2 feet from the ground. I landed it almost at my feet. Whew!!!

Upon inspection it seemed that very minor cartwheel had damaged the left elevator and seperated it from the control horn side. I was stuck at a slight down and did move with the elevator but not fully. Something to watch out for if you bump that elevator or slide backwards into a clump of grass like I did.

So I guess I'll mount some U shaped wire and epoxy under the elevator to sync each side up.

I love this plane and have about 25-30 flights with it as I have flown it every chance I get.

DetroitHawk
10-10-2006, 12:37 PM
wow, i can't say i ever had that problem but i will keep an eye out for it. This plane is alot of fun to fly, and pretty easy to work on. This is one of my favrote planes to fly.

rick brayford
07-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Bill
re PZ FW-190 upgrade-
Have completed and fitted stick mount per your ideas. looks great.
I have fitted a Park 480 outrunner (250 watts max)on a Dualsky 40amp ESC, E-flite 8g servos and Hitech 4ch micro reciever (supposed 1000m range ?). Having troulbe getting power to motor so have some trouble shooting to do before maiden. Looks like i will have to add wieght to nose.

skydive

rick brayford
08-05-2007, 02:21 PM
The AXIs are outrunners. Thanks to PZ overbuilding the inner structure of the FW190 just a bit, you can make a motor plate fairly easily to mount dang near anything on this plane. I posted a pic of my setup in the other thread I think. Right now, the "ARF" 190 is my favorite flyer. :D

Its my favorite too.
I have a Park 480 outrunner in mine. 10x8 prop, 2500 EVO lipos 3s.
I use about 2/3rds power for hand launch with transmitter in left hand ready to feed in right aileron as soon as it leaves my hand.
Quite fast on 3/4 power.
rick

wilky
08-13-2007, 06:17 AM
Its my favorite too.
I have a Park 480 outrunner in mine. 10x8 prop, 2500 EVO lipos 3s.
I use about 2/3rds power for hand launch with transmitter in left hand ready to feed in right aileron as soon as it leaves my hand.
Quite fast on 3/4 power.
rick

It's too bad the replacement air-frames are no more. yeah thats right they discontinued the FW-190 replacement air-frame. Fin, kaput, done.:{