PDA

View Full Version : Bearing change - HOW ?

solentlife
09-13-2011, 09:48 AM
I have 2 BL motors :

Turborix 1070rpm/v 162W Outrunner Brushless Motor

and one bearing is shot in both, rear bearing in one actually disintegrated in crash, other motor has both bearings but horrible noises come from it when throttling so I think one or more is shot in that one .........

Question is : How do I remove the bearings to swap over and make up one good motor ?

I have bell housing of, shaft out ... so just winding stator in hand with bearings in.

If it's heat that's needed ... then how ?

Larry3215
09-13-2011, 02:09 PM
I use a drill press to press them out. Find a socket or something similar that is just a tad smaller in diameter and use that as a tool to push the bearing out. You want to be pushing on the outer race - not the inner race.

It may help to heat the part first. There may be locktite holding them in place. Be carefull about heating the bell. You dont want to loosen any magnets or damage them with heat.

If you have a large vice, you can also use it as a press.

Good luck!

solentlife
09-13-2011, 02:40 PM
But when you have both bearings in place ... how do you get one out to be able to bear on the other ? The hole available is both same at shaft diameter.

I managed in the end by breaking the bearing that I suspected of being duff .. prising the outer ring out and then drifting out the other bearing.

I have put best bearings together in the one motor and it's running a dream now. The other motor can have new bearings IF I can find any ...

Cheers

flydiver
09-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Bearing removal without damage is sometimes impossible. Other times they all but fall out. Depends entirely on the tolerances when they were built. Ruined a number of them myself. There are a number of places that sell replacement bearings but often when you throw in shipping it's barely worth bothering. If HeadsUpRC (http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the-MOTOR-BEARINGS/Categories) has them (some standard sizes) that's a good option.

Look on this page and scroll down for the video of bearing change.
http://innov8tivedesigns.com/