PDA

View Full Version : Spacewalker II

simibill
04-26-2006, 10:16 PM
I am looking for an approximate one sixth scale Lycoming or Continental engine model. Non functional just need for appearance with valve covers and exhaust pipes sticking ouside of cowl. Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

buzzltyr
04-27-2006, 01:41 AM
You might take a look at Kurt Bengston's site, aerodromerc.com. He has a 1/8th scale Continental 7 cylinder. His site also says he has a nine cylinder Lycoming, but I couldn't get that item to load on his website, to check the scale. I would guess it is also 1/8th. Kurt is a heck of a nice guy. I'm sure you could email him and ask about the Lycoming, if it is still available, etc.

Mark

simibill
04-27-2006, 02:39 AM
No radial's - I need a flat opposed.

forresterace
04-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Simibill

Especially if your scale is just "about" 1/6, it's really very easy to make dummy Continental cylinders from balsa and ply. The easiest way is to stack fin cross sections of 1/32 ply and balsa cross-sections (say 1/8 to 3/16" thickness) alternately on a 1/8" square balsa stick core and make a cyl. head from ply with a balsa valve cover. The exhaust header is simply 1/4" sheet balsa sanded to a round cross-section. The cylinders can also be solid balsa (say 1/2" X 1/2") and wrapped and glued with heavy thread for fins (old FF trick).
You could size them to your model by the TLAR method (that looks about right)

Here is an example from my 1/9 scale Corben Baby Ace kit.

simibill
04-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Doug,
Thanks, I might have to do as you suggest failing any ready built solution.
Your Corbin Baby Ace looks very nice.