PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a free plan for a kids plane.

xray328
04-27-2006, 12:40 AM
I have a garage full of bluecor and I need a plane my 6 y/o can fly tomorrow night indoors. I have a CC pixie 20, a 2S1P battery, a berg 4 channel receiver, and two micro servos. I tried the "frog" but the instructions don't match the plans. I was hoping I could make a SS type for him with the motor mounted out of the way somehow. Any help is appreciated.

Old Man
04-27-2006, 02:08 AM
I have a garage full of bluecor and I need a plane my 6 y/o can fly tomorrow night indoors. I have a CC pixie 20, a 2S1P battery, a berg 4 channel receiver, and two micro servos. I tried the "frog" but the instructions don't match the plans. I was hoping I could make a SS type for him with the motor mounted out of the way somehow. Any help is appreciated.
I have built more Frogs than you can shake a stick at. Tell me your problem and I can talk you through it.

xray328
04-27-2006, 03:20 AM
Actually I am slowly getting through "The Frog".

My biggest problem with this is that the parts on the downloaded plans don't match the parts in the kit they sell which is what they base the directions on. Which is where you come in Old Man. Thank you.

I also can't get nice cuts on this foam for anything. I make 2 or 3 cuts and the blade is dull.

That being said, how do I mount the IPS motor? Its way smaller than the typical 10mm stick.

Any idea about the "ski"?

xray328
04-27-2006, 03:26 AM
Duplicate

Old Man
04-27-2006, 03:31 AM
Actually I am slowly getting through "The Frog".

My biggest problem with this is that the parts on the downloaded plans don't match the parts in the kit they sell which is what they base the directions on. Which is where you come in Old Man. Thank you.

I also can't get nice cuts on this foam for anything. I make 2 or 3 cuts and the blade is dull.

That being said, how do I mount the IPS motor? Its way smaller than the typical 10mm stick.

Any idea about the "ski"?

Ok if you do not have all of the parts cut out go ahead and cut out all of the parts.

Do you have a cutting mat? If not get a cutting board from the kitchen. I keep a sharpening stone on my buildign table at all times. When the blade gets a little dull, a few short strokes will have it sharp again.

I can't measure the motor mount stick because I am getting ready to move so all of my hobby stuff is packed. If push comes to shove you can carve down a 10mm stick but you will have a lot of carving to do.

forget about the sky you will not need it.

Old Man
04-27-2006, 03:33 AM
It also helps to make several scores rather than trying to cut al the way through. specially if you have a dull blade.

edit: if my typing stinks it is because I have been typing a research paper for the past 15 hours. If my mistakes are too bad send a reply and I will clearify.

Old Man
04-27-2006, 04:20 AM
Cut out the fuse sides and peal the inside of each fuse side.
cut out the spacers and glue them to one side of the fuse.
hot glue the servos to one side of the fuse.
the extended tab and the vert stab will go through the horizontal stab and glue to the side of the fuse.

does that help?

xray328
04-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Cutting the foam was the bigget problem I was having. But then again I was cutting it on the garage floor. Nothing like concrete to dull a blade. I ended up just cutting down the 10mm stick. Although I've found that a 10x4.7 is too big. Maybe I mounted the boom too low but the 10" prop won't clear. A 9" clears though. So I'm gonna try a 9x7.5 since GWS lists that as a "Good" combo.

Its not a bad plan its just confusing when the parts they show don't match the parts I cut out.

We're gonna fly it tonight, I'll follow up with a flight report.

hoppy
04-27-2006, 04:49 PM
A very nice flying plane - some threads on it in this forum.
AndNow
http://www.flyelectric.ukgateway.net/indoor.htm#andnow

xray328
04-28-2006, 08:54 AM
What a great little plane that Frog is! The only "problem" I had with it was that it fell a little fast on landing. I nosed it in twice. Otherwise, a great plane. Flew well at 1/2 throttle.

Old Man
04-28-2006, 01:39 PM
What a great little plane that Frog is! The only "problem" I had with it was that it fell a little fast on landing. I nosed it in twice. Otherwise, a great plane. Flew well at 1/2 throttle.
Another satisfied Frog flyer. I taught my kids how to fly with the Frog, it is a great little flyer. We keep one around and take it with us when we go flying so that if we meet some one interested in flying, we can buddy box them and get them some stick time.

You should try some of Hippo's other planes, they all fly great.

Saucerguy2
04-29-2006, 02:13 PM
hit your local hobby store, pick up a foam replacement wing/tail assembly from any common RTF, cut the foam to form the fuselage and give those 2 something to mount to. carve some spaces for the battery and servo's and be sure to use external control wires/guides. Use a hot glue gun and you have something very air worthy quick and dirty bird, just take into account the dimensions of the bird you are accomodating with the shortcut method from the replacement parts.

Old Man
04-30-2006, 01:36 AM
hit your local hobby store, pick up a foam replacement wing/tail assembly from any common RTF, cut the foam to form the fuselage and give those 2 something to mount to. carve some spaces for the battery and servo's and be sure to use external control wires/guides. Use a hot glue gun and you have something very air worthy quick and dirty bird, just take into account the dimensions of the bird you are accomodating with the shortcut method from the replacement parts.
Why spend that much money?

I wish I had remembered this page. A complete photo documetary of how to build a Frog
http://www.foamfly.com/gallery/Frog_Build