PDA

View Full Version : Super Cub Water Crash

crxmanpat
04-27-2006, 09:25 PM
I know I posted these in another forum, but I figured I should share them here too.

If you want to read about the crash, go here (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=64630&postcount=60).

firemanbill
04-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Hey Pat, I said it on the other thread to... Bummer.

I know you lost your Lipo, but you didn't mention how the plane faired.

Is it salvageable or too water logged?

ForestCam
04-27-2006, 10:52 PM
Been there, done that, made the video.:p

crxmanpat
04-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Bill,

Too waterlogged to bother with. Will salvage what I can, and rebuild from scratch using the plans. I wasn't thrilled with the fuse anyway, and I will put my knowledge to use on the next one.

skiman762
04-27-2006, 11:25 PM
That's a good one coach....
A few days in the AZ sun will dry it right out

firemanbill
04-28-2006, 12:26 AM
Bill,

Too waterlogged to bother with. Will salvage what I can, and rebuild from scratch using the plans. I wasn't thrilled with the fuse anyway, and I will put my knowledge to use on the next one.

Well at leat you'll know what your doing and you can build it even better this time.

I got the Cessna out again this afternoon. That little bird is a trip! Finally got it flying well, ( I think all the duct tape on the right wing has balanced it out quite well) was cruising right along, throttle managemnet is key with that park 400, 1/4 throttle was more than adequate for cruising! Then out of nowhere, hey whats that falling off the bottom of the plane:eek: The dang main gear just fell right out, so I delcared an IFE requested a direct in approach from the tower and set her down nicely in the grass

Now I just have to tape the bottom up as good as the top and I'm back in business:D

crxmanpat
04-28-2006, 12:33 AM
I put a big piece of packing tape over the slot, and across the false strut covers to help hold it in. I think that I will just go ahead and hot glue them in instead. Glad to hear you got her flying nice now. I swear you have to crash this thing a few times before it is "right". :D

"...declared an IFE..." Good stuff Bill :p

firemanbill
04-28-2006, 12:38 AM
Yup, warming the glue gun up as we speak:D

I gues that IFE would have had to be for an unsafe gear indication:eek:

Good luck on your rebuild.

I've got a surprise for you too... will be posting pics here soon. I think you'll really like it.

crxmanpat
05-02-2006, 10:38 PM
I've got a surprise for you too... will be posting pics here soon. I think you'll really like it.
So Bill, you've had me in suspense for nearly a week now! Did you post something somewhere else and I missed it?

I'm still tossing the Cessna around the sky. Soon I will take pics of all the prior carnage and repairs, just to show how durable this thing really is!

firemanbill
05-03-2006, 01:15 AM
Oops! yeah I'm getting the photos together now. Will have something up tonight

crxmanpat
05-03-2006, 03:43 AM
Creating a new thread in Foamies, "Ode to a Cessna". Check it out.