PDA

View Full Version : bluecor wing

tiredboot
04-29-2006, 09:43 PM
What is available locally is BlueCor in 1, 1 1/2, 2" thickness. can a wing be built with such dimensions and how?
Obviously I am a beginner, could someone link me to to a thread explaining building tools and technics for bluecor/FFF planes.
I have done multiple searches but only get bits & pieces of infos.
I am trying to decide between balsa and foam as a beginner material. There is a wealth of informations about balsa but not so much(organized)infos about FFF, it being so new I suppose.
Thank you for your help.
D.

SkyPilot
05-09-2006, 05:37 AM
The most common method of building a wing form the thicker Bluecor board that you describe is to shape the airfoil with a hot wire setup. This is a fairly specialized process and not something you would want to try as a beginning modeler. What you need to find for a first attempt is the fan fold foam Bluecor. It is 1/4" thick and comes in bundles of 25 - 2' x 4' sheets. The best stuff, if you can find it, is Bluecor P/P. It has a plastic coating on both sides and is quite strong. The more readily available type is Bluecor Protection Board. It is only coated on one side, but is still plenty strong for park flyers and preferable if you want to try forming curves into it. Lowes is the only source that I know of for both types of Bluecor FFF.

Balsa and foam are two entirely different building materials. Foam is ultra quick to build with and easy to repair. It's great for low performance slow flyers or beginners 3D flyers. Balsa requires much more skill and patience to work with, but that skill and patience will pay off in a better flying and looking model. I use both, and they both have their place in modeling.

Tom