PDA

View Full Version : What is a good 3D beginner airplane??

microflight
11-26-2011, 10:09 PM
hello. i have to Park flyer airplanes both made by parkzone . i have the mosquito and the radian. i am getting more into the ulra micro airplanes and I am trying to learn 3D aerobatics. What would be a good ultra micro plane to start learning how to do 3D with?? -thanks

squidger
11-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Hi, Ultra micro planes are not good to learn 3d on as they need to be flown pretty fast. If you want to learn 3d flying get yourself a foamy Yak or similar in at least 40 inch wing span. This will fly alot slower and do all 3d manoevres easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KY8KLEIrAY

When you have some experience the ultra micro SBACH is a superb micro and will do most manouvres but as I said earlier it needs to be flown pretty fast.

mclarkson
11-26-2011, 10:36 PM
You're looking for something like one of these (http://www.fancyfoam.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=11&zenid=238h8ip7at44illpat6p8fqob6).

EPP foam is light and effectively indestructible.

squidger
11-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Yep. Any of the above:)

microflight
11-27-2011, 08:20 PM
are there any airplanes like that, that come in pnp or bnf versions?

mclarkson
11-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any.

squidger
11-27-2011, 11:36 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TECHONE-MINI-YAK54-EPP-3D-FOAM-PROFILE-AEROPLANE-/320728953536?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4aacef72c0#ht_500wt_715

Eric Tessmer
11-29-2011, 03:58 AM
You may consider the MPX Parkmaster. I love mine and it is both durable and has great flight range from fast to slow and will do any 3D manuver in the book with style. Here is mine:

microflight
11-29-2011, 10:19 PM
how much did it cost??

Eric Tessmer
11-30-2011, 07:43 AM
About $120 from Tower Hobbies w/ free shipping.

mclarkson
11-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Just a note: that's for an ARF version (minus servos, ESC, motor, etc.)

microflight
11-30-2011, 12:30 PM
what about the parkzone sukoi to learn basic aerobatics first then move up to 3D when I'm ready. a local pilot here told me that thats what i should do.

squidger
12-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Trust me, you won't learn much flying a micro aircraft. They are great fun in small areas when you have perfected your flying but you need to be a competent flyer as they pretty much buzz around on near full throttle the whole time.I have the Sukhoi, Beast, and Sbach and all are great but not for learning.If you really must have a micro and want to learn and have access to a large indoor venue then try the Eflight Extra 300 micro as that at least can be slowed down and may allow you to try a few manoevres.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E-Flite-UMX-Extra-300-BNF-/270694430632?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f06a537a8#ht_2095wt_754

microflight
12-01-2011, 10:52 PM
i have been practicing on a simulator with an aircraft lie the extra 300 and ive been able to pull off flat spins, tumbles, inverted stuff and basic stuff like that, and should i get a better controller than the dx5e that i currently own??? thanks i know im a beginner and how frusterating that can be.

mclarkson
12-02-2011, 12:16 AM
The DX5 is a fine radio, but it lacks expo and other key features that will really help you out.

squidger
12-02-2011, 02:01 AM
As said the DX5 is a good radio. As well as lacking expo it also doesn't have the ability to fly 3d helis which you may want to do later on. The DX6i does everything and can hold 10 model memories too.Can be bought for under £100 and IMHO alot of radio for not alot of money.

scruffmeister
12-09-2011, 05:29 PM
I would consider the Multiplex Parkmaster, Acromaster or an RC Factory Yak 55

microflight
12-09-2011, 10:04 PM
What about the parkzone extra

losifanatic
12-11-2011, 05:16 PM
The dx5E is a very poor choice for a radio on any type of 3D aircraft. Its OK for sport but thats it. even a flat foam 3d plane its not recommended at all.

Starting out in 3D you will not want a mico plane. You are not going to learn much that way. If you want to stay with foam get your self a flat epp 3d plane from like twisted hobbies or 3dhs. (they are some of the best made) You will learm more on that than ANY MICR PLANE. Plus they are EPP so very crash resistant.

Before buying a plane I highly recommend a better radio. Since you alreadu fly Spektrum I recommend a dx7 or dx8. The dx6i is not a very good radio and WILL hinder performance on a 3D aircraft. So first and formost buy a GOOD radio. with that radio you will notice how much nicer and easier your current planes will fly. Then you will be ready to get a 3D plane.

fliprob17
12-15-2011, 05:21 AM
+1 on the DX5 not being the greatest for an aerobatic/3D pilot

Invest in a radio that will give you many years of service - DX-7, DX-8, Hitec Aurora 9, etc.

I would also stay away from the "micro" - twitchy little monsters, and they're really not going to help you learn anything.

Pick up a flat EPP foamie in the 30-40" range.

Here's a couple pics of the two I've been flying lately. 34" EDGE and 38" AJ Slick, both manuf. by 3D Hobby Shop. Durable, bouncy little nerf footballs :D

Ron Dog
12-22-2011, 05:48 AM
Twisted Hobbys has a bunch of Great flying EPP planes! The Vector is a good 3-D plane that will slow down to a walk,and still do advanced manuvers as your skill level increases! It will also take a beating,and come back for more! Ron

Ron Dog
12-22-2011, 05:52 AM
Also forgot! Like mentioned above,the micro planes are for intermed/advanced flyers. They are very 'twitchey". Not the best choice for learning 3-D. Ron

Big Johnny
01-14-2012, 11:00 PM
I will have to Agree and Disagree. The Radio is almost more important than the plane. I bought a and DX7 and a Ultra Extra 300 & Foresite. I have never hovered an airplane before and had no problem hovering the E300. The secret is in the setup of throws and expo.

fmw
01-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Here's my choice for a 3D trainer. Not because of it's amazing performance but because it is incredibly easy to fly and yet will do all the 3D maneuvers competently. Cheap? No. Foam? No. but it is really easy to fly and, there fore a great 3D trainer.

http://www.fredwhitlock.com/images/eratixhigh.jpg

Deca
02-08-2012, 08:52 PM
My first 3D plane was a Typhoon 2...I've had a lot of fun with that plane but was never totally happy with its performance. Never wanted to settle into a hover and had some issues with knife edge. It's great with other maneuvers though so I can't call it a bad plane, I could probably mess around with it a bit and get it flying better.

I took a break from flying for about a year until just recently. Got back into helis and after going to my first indoor meet decided I missed flying fixed wing too. Got myself a UMX Extra 300 and that thing is a lot of fun! Only issues I've had with it are some occasionally unpredictable tip stalls (SFGs would probably help, I'll have to try them at some point) and occasional loss of aileron authority in hovers (that one I don't understand at all, any help/explanation would be appreciated there).

I just built myself a Fancy Foam EPP 3Decathlon and will be maidening it this coming Sunday...I'm nervous about flying it just because of the work put into it, it was my first kit build...which also makes me worried I screwed something up :( I guess I've never flown a "good" 3d foamy before and I'm not completely sure what to expect from it. I'm just hoping it flies predictably and SLOWLY, I'm worried I built it too heavy, but don't really have anything to compare it to and haven't been able to weigh it...just paranoia at this stage.

(Was going to post some photos of my plane but apparently I'm not allowed to yet!)

stevecooper
02-08-2012, 10:38 PM
i have been practicing on a simulator with an aircraft lie the extra 300 and ive been able to pull off flat spins, tumbles, inverted stuff and basic stuff like that, and should i get a better controller than the dx5e that i currently own??? thanks i know im a beginner and how frusterating that can be.
I fly my micro 4-site & extra 300 micros on my DX 5 ,,does great,, I fly all my 3/d planes do'in everything in the book on 10-12 year old FM TX's with no expo or bell's & whistles,:ws:,, back in the day we didn't have computer TX's with all the tweeks and trim mix, Etc,,:rolleyes: you can learn to fly with your thumbs or spend a little more;),,Don't let your lack of a fancy pork'ie'pine 2.4 TX stop you from flying any plane out there:cool:bubsteve

Pete48
02-09-2012, 01:56 AM
Don't forget about the "you can do 3D" by Great Planes. The fuselage and wing can actually flex and bend...

Unfortunately, my brother found out the hard way that he "can't" do 3D. :)

squidger
02-09-2012, 07:25 AM
I bought one of those couple of years ago. Trust me you dont want one.Prob the worse aircraft I ever flew.

Pete48
02-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Here's ours after last Saturday! :blah:

phillipmorris
03-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Am quite new to 3D Flight, but ran into the Nirtroplanes Sbach, wow it has some speed, did nose it up, so far seems to be nose heavy else a hoot to fly, landing needs power not the deadstick floater, but still working on moving the rear COG. More conventional flights at the moment. If you don't have a transimitter the RTF version isn't bad as dial in settings,

In the wings have a Precision Aerobatics Katana, purchased online and looks beautiful, balsa, will hold back on this one till more Sbach flying as a more easily repairalbe foamy.

squidger
03-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Happens sometimes Pete. Look on the bright side, you now have room for a new model.

Doc Austin
03-13-2012, 05:14 PM
There are a lot of different ways to go, but for the newer pilos who are glying a T28 or something, the best option is foam. I am currently flying a Twisted Hobbgys Sbach, but we had a fun video with their new Crack Yal, and I plan to get one of those.

Make sure you get to the very bitter end, after the credits, to see the butt catch:
VIDEO:

http://vimeo.com/36608157

For more experienced pilots who have already been flying conventional aerobatics, you can go into 3D with almost anything good. Most 3D planes are stable and agile, so as long as you have good orientation skills and a reasonable mastery of conventional aerobatics, a good balsa 3D plane will seve you well.

jackword
04-05-2012, 01:47 AM
The new micro beast with the stability control is unbelievable! Hobby Zone BNF $139.

Nitro Blast
04-05-2012, 03:48 PM
I'd reccomend this from Techone, or a AirfoilZ Edge or Yak.
The Yak (from 2 Dog RC) is now available from NitroPlanes.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59294

huayuhobby
04-20-2012, 06:07 AM
EPP Foamy planes will be good option, like Yak 54, Extra 330, Edge -540 ...

WayfaringDreamer
04-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Before buying a plane I highly recommend a better radio. Since you alreadu fly Spektrum I recommend a dx7 or dx8. The dx6i is not a very good radio and WILL hinder performance on a 3D aircraft. So first and formost buy a GOOD radio. with that radio you will notice how much nicer and easier your current planes will fly. Then you will be ready to get a 3D plane.

I have dx6i can someone explain why it is not a good radio and will hinder performance on a 3D aircraft?

losifanatic
04-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Poor resolution and very high latency are the main things. Also the EPAs are not very good so you dont get full travel out of your servos compared to other radios.

stevecooper
04-20-2012, 10:00 PM
I have dx6i can someone explain why it is not a good radio and will hinder performance on a 3D aircraft?
see my post # 26;),,, you can 3/D well with nearly any TX,, I'm useing a 9 year old TX FM at the SEFF 3/D smack-Down this year,, done it before and most will say I done just fine,,:D,,If you don't get the throw you need use longer servo 3/D horn's,, I've been Wow'ed watching friends 3/D with their DX-6's,,:cool: just my two cent's worth,:ws:bubsteve

losifanatic
04-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Longer servo arms only make your resolution worse. Trust a good tx makes a huge difference all around

stevecooper
04-21-2012, 01:41 AM
Longer servo arms only make your resolution worse. Trust a good tx makes a huge difference all around
Like I said ,,just my two cents worth,, I really haven't heard much about this resolution prob you speak of,, I'll look into it;-) as I was think'in about getting a used one SEFF,:rolleyes:, I've only heard good stuff about the "6" but never owned one and will do some more research on it, The DX 6's I have flown (several)seemed fine to me:ws:, bubsteve

losifanatic
04-21-2012, 03:07 AM
if you ever get the chance to set up a plane with a dx6i and a dx7s you will be amazed at the difference. 512 resolution compared to 2048 and full travel out of the radio. Also a latency from 60 to 80ms down to only 22 or 11ms in the high responce mode with digital servos. Alot to gain for just going up one class of radio.

jw357_23043
08-29-2012, 12:04 PM
if you ever get the chance to set up a plane with a dx6i and a dx7s you will be amazed at the difference. 512 resolution compared to 2048 and full travel out of the radio. Also a latency from 60 to 80ms down to only 22 or 11ms in the high responce mode with digital servos. Alot to gain for just going up one class of radio.

OMG!!! I made the switch about 2 years ago and all I have to say is wow!! NO more turning this clevis or that clevis to remove a bind or lose the throw I'm looking for in a surface. Whew, I love my DX7. Setup was easy. As for expo I have to agree that the small micro's require it. My UMX Beast was a PITA when I tried to fly it without expo and I've been flying over 20+years off and on.

TopSpin
09-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Just finished this a few days ago and need a calm day to wring it out. Cheap flat foamie but a nightmare to assemble so it had better fly right or I will dissasemble it the hard way.:D

stevecooper
09-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Just finished this a few days ago and need a calm day to wring it out. Cheap flat foamie but a nightmare to assemble so it had better fly right or I will dissasemble it the hard way.:D
Looks great, they can be a pain in the butt to get all the Carbon rods on and keep it strait while your do'in it, what TX you gonna use?, Bubsteve

archd7
11-14-2012, 01:01 AM
I would say a parkmaster. That is what I learned on and it takes a beating!

jw357_23043
11-14-2012, 02:14 PM
I found an old 45" Extreme Flight Extra and tormented it. I have crashed that plane and it asks for more. Blew the firewall out at SEFF and at my field, ripped the wing and LG off. In all about 5 hours of repairs it still flies great and IMO balsa flies better and you actually get that "Balsa Plane" feel. Regardless of plane type you're going to eat the dirt at some point if you want too learn 3D.:eek: Just do things high enough to become proficient and then bring it down. When it comes to hovering that is something I feel needs to be learned down low as the perspective of the plane is harder to judge up high. Besides, with a small model the damage is minimal to none if you drop it on the tail as I have done quit a few times at 6 to 10 feet. In all, just go for it!! ;-)

road king 97
11-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Ultron 3-D plane plans and videos are here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748176&highlight=ultron I bought 3 sheets of dollar tree foam for 3 dollars and pulled the paper of of them to build mine and used gorrila glue cause iam cheap. Here is mine almost ready for the radio and motor . I still have some sanding on my fuse and i need to tape my big ail on buts its close . joe

helen3
11-26-2012, 05:58 AM
The F/A-18 known as the Hornet is a supersonic, all-weather, carrier-capable, multirole fighter jet.

Nitro Blast
11-26-2012, 06:22 AM
The F/A-18 known as the Hornet is a supersonic, all-weather, carrier-capable, multirole fighter jet.

And your point is?

(me smells something fishy as that is the farthest thing from a Beginner, 3D plane as you can get)

alcarafa
01-12-2013, 07:09 AM
Cheap , performs well and equipment required is available at same place.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__26559__Hummer_EPP_3D_Plane_1000mm_KIT_.html

DanFive0
01-30-2013, 03:26 AM
EPP profile foamy for sure...

Check out the Twisted Hobbys lineup, these are probably the most popular EPP foamys out there, and for good reason. These are some,badass foamys.

http://www.twistedhobbys.com/

WayfaringDreamer
02-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Looks like HH has a winner with the new VisionAire: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/visionaire-bnf-with-as3x-technology-PKZ6580

xmech2k
02-08-2013, 07:07 PM
A rainy day here, (A natural disaster in SOCAL!) so I finally started putting together my Tech One Swift.

Nitroplanes Tech One Swift (http://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-004-swift-epp-arf.html)

It was recommended by a few guys at the field and will be my first venture into 3d. We'll see if my fingers will be able to learn!

Pilot Error
02-23-2013, 03:29 AM
Looks like HH has a winner with the new VisionAire: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/visionaire-bnf-with-as3x-technology-PKZ6580

I'll be maidening mine in a day or so...

stevecooper
02-23-2013, 05:07 PM
I'll be maidening mine in a day or so...
Love that new Plane!!:D QQ said I could fly his at SEFF this year,,, I can't wait to fly it but must wait till the price comes down to buy one:oops:, I'll introduce you to Him at SEFF this year if you would like me to:rolleyes:, Great guy, The whole HH flying team are a Hoot to hang with,:tc: bubsteve

stevecooper
02-23-2013, 05:14 PM
A rainy day here, (A natural disaster in SOCAL!) so I finally started putting together my Tech One Swift.

Nitroplanes Tech One Swift (http://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-004-swift-epp-arf.html)

It was recommended by a few guys at the field and will be my first venture into 3d. We'll see if my fingers will be able to learn!
You'll do well with that,, I was blown away at the price and what comes with it, I taught a few to 3/D with a MS Unique that looks like near the same plane,,, Takes a heck of a lick'in and keeps on flying:D , good luck, bubsteve
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-17210252890263_2252_329535466

Pilot Error
02-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Love that new Plane!!:D QQ said I could fly his at SEFF this year,,, I can't wait to fly it but must wait till the price comes down to buy one:oops:, I'll introduce you to Him at SEFF this year if you would like me to:rolleyes:, Great guy, The whole HH flying team are a Hoot to hang with,:tc: bubsteve

Sweet! I can't wait to go hang out with other "electric" personalities...:)

stevecooper
02-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Sweet! I can't wait to go hang out with other "electric" personalities...:)
I'm just a dumbThumbed Bum, Their the personalities, I just monitor their lipos sometimes when their practicing:D,,
back on topic the ultra micro 4-site & Edge 300 by E-flight can help starting out 3/D'in, I let everyone have a shot at it over 24' high grass,,;)
bubsteve

gramps2361
02-23-2013, 11:40 PM
EPP profile foamy for sure...

Check out the Twisted Hobbys lineup, these are probably the most popular EPP foamys out there, and for good reason. These are some,badass foamys.

http://www.twistedhobbys.com/

I just did the maiden flight with the 47" extra 330. First flight I had the rates dialed right down to sport flying expo was set around 48% flew great. Second battery I flipped to medium rates with the same expo started to really come alive.:D This is going to be one fun plane once I have it dialed in wind was picking up to 8 to 10 mph and it was not a issue. Looking forward to getting it trimmed out and CG where I want it on a calm day.
So here is another one to look at.
I think I will like this one better than my Acro Master.

LSP972
12-13-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm putting the finishing touches on one of these:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/extra-330sc-bp-3d-arf-EFL2610

Very pretty little airplane; but something tells me I should have gotten another foamie (had a DPW Juka, it had issues and just wasn't my cup of tea).

This one is fragile and will splinter big time if you dork it. My plan is to get it pretty high before starting any 3D stuff.

I'm no newbie at the hobby (been flying these things since 1986) but I have NO idea how to go about teaching myself 3D. I did break out my old RealFlight 4.0 sim; that should help.

This is VERY well-made model. The glue joints/covering/etc. are all impeccable. But it is built from light hardwood and contest-grade balsa, so there is ZERO crash-resistance there. I'm looking forward to just buzzing around with it.

But I suspect I'll need to get some sort of foamie before I can really learn this 3D stuff.

road king 97
12-13-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm putting the finishing touches on one of these:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/extra-330sc-bp-3d-arf-EFL2610

Very pretty little airplane; but something tells me I should have gotten another foamie (had a DPW Juka, it had issues and just wasn't my cup of tea).

This one is fragile and will splinter big time if you dork it. My plan is to get it pretty high before starting any 3D stuff.

I'm no newbie at the hobby (been flying these things since 1986) but I have NO idea how to go about teaching myself 3D. I did break out my old RealFlight 4.0 sim; that should help.

This is VERY well-made model. The glue joints/covering/etc. are all impeccable. But it is built from light hardwood and contest-grade balsa, so there is ZERO crash-resistance there. I'm looking forward to just buzzing around with it.

But I suspect I'll need to get some sort of foamie before I can really learn this 3D stuff.

.Iam flying a Acro master now but the extra from e-flight looks pretty nice,might ask santa (my 4 grown kids) for one this year.lol :D joe

dahawk
12-13-2013, 11:18 PM
NJ Swede was raving the other day about the Twisted Hobbies Beaver.

I have the HK Edge 540T but it's really not a beginners 3D plane IMO. But I have 3 sets of rates programmed: Low rates) "After all, I can fly a super Cub" Mid rates) "Wow, this thing flies like my Formosa 2" and High rates) " OMG, this 3D stuff is a riot !"

LSP972
01-13-2014, 10:54 AM
Well, it turned out quite nicely; but, as I suspected, it is VERY fragile due to the super-light construction. However, the flying qualities are worth the extra care needed in handling, etc.

Proper CG was a bit of a bother to determine; I ended up needing a half ounce of tail weight, under the LE of the stab, with ThunderPower 1350mAh 3S batteries. At the specified location, the model was quite nose heavy. Got it sorted out now, though.

While it is not happy in much wind, I flew it today in 15mph-gusting-to-25mph conditions, and it was rather lively…:D

Lastly, the landing gear legs are weak, and bend easily.

Overall, a very nice model. I've seen a lot of bleating on another site about how this model is too expensive for what you get. Perhaps, but the kit quality is excellent, and just as importantly all the hardware/accessories is of equal quality.

I bought another one to put up, since sure as heck Horizon will discontinue the thing just before I want/need another one.

jw357_23043
01-13-2014, 11:20 PM
Well, it turned out quite nicely; but, as I suspected, it is VERY fragile due to the super-light construction. However, the flying qualities are worth the extra care needed in handling, etc.

Proper CG was a bit of a bother to determine; I ended up needing a half ounce of tail weight, under the LE of the stab, with ThunderPower 1350mAh 3S batteries. At the specified location, the model was quite nose heavy. Got it sorted out now, though.

While it is not happy in much wind, I flew it today in 15mph-gusting-to-25mph conditions, and it was rather lively…:D

Lastly, the landing gear legs are weak, and bend easily.

Overall, a very nice model. I've seen a lot of bleating on another site about how this model is too expensive for what you get. Perhaps, but the kit quality is excellent, and just as importantly all the hardware/accessories is of equal quality.

I bought another one to put up, since sure as heck Horizon will discontinue the thing just before I want/need another one.

If you're going balsa you should get an Extreme Flight 60" Extra. They fly very well and make a good second plane. Give them a try.

ceepagey
04-21-2014, 03:12 AM
Crack series for micro, don't fly in wind and telink if you want to go larger, buy the seacraft mount, can't beat these planes. If your a beginner use 30 deg throws 40 expo.

leadpan
05-09-2014, 12:18 AM
I like my Crack Yak: flies great after MANY crashes.
Here's what I'm looking for my next 3D plane. Anyone have experience with this EPP?

http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=EPPEDGE540ARF

ceepagey
05-09-2014, 02:50 AM
http://www.rc-factory.eu/katalog/models-by-type-229/yak-55-1663.html
http://twistedhobbys.com/Telink-38-EPP-3D-Buster-Biplane-T-3D-Buster.htm
http://twistedhobbys.com/Telink-44-EPP-Edge-540-T-Edge.htm
Suss these out, 3d buster is my current warm up plane, that yak should fly similar to the crack yak, bit less floaty, haven't seen the edge b4, doesn't look floaty looks bitey but as I say don't know a thing about it so I could be way wrong.

cactusflyr
07-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Here is a new one....if they ever get it on the market. EPO, looks promising. Zeta Extreme 3D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTzs8WGsWL8 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTzs8WGsWL8)