PDA

View Full Version : Brushless motor mounts

DrDave
12-04-2011, 08:18 AM
Looks I need to build a brushless motor mount out of plywood to mount my motor to the plane. Any advice on how to go about making one.

CHELLIE
12-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Looks I need to build a brushless motor mount out of plywood to mount my motor to the plane. Any advice on how to go about making one.

Here you go DrDave :ws: Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39483

Dragonflyer
12-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Don't use Lite Ply, use the good 5 ply stuff, minimum 1/8". Harden the holes with thin CA. Drill small hole first, CA, then drill to the larger size. You will get a cleaner hole this way. Or laminate two pieces of 1/16", cross grain for 1/8" thickness. Mount with bolts & washers.

Bill

kyleservicetech
12-05-2011, 03:36 AM

What size motor?
Ply works well for the smaller motors. I've used 1/4 inch model airplane grade ply for one kilowatt sized motors with good success. Be certain to use small flat washers over the plywood so the mounting screws don't dig into the plywood.

Be sure to use some thread locking material, or locking nuts on the motor mount screws.

On my larger motors, I've used 1/8 inch aluminum sheet, that is bolted to the fuselage with some corner type aluminum stock.