PDA

View Full Version : My girlfriend's Foam Beaver project (Pics too!)

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Well, I did what no other man has done. I got my girl hooked on electric flight! After flying my last plane, and doing very well, she has decided that she wants to build her own and learn how to fly. We decided on teh Beaver instead of the Slow Stick, as it is still a very docile plane, yet resembles a real aircraft. I will help her on a trainer cord and it shouldnt be a problem.

We picked up the slope glider version, as I already had an extra 350 and 300 motor laying around. Grabbed some servos as well and we were all set.

=====================

Started off by strengthening the rear of the fuse with some epoxy and 1/2oz cloth. Very minimal use to keep weight down. Glued the fuse together and installed the correct dihedral in the wings.

Laid down some of the basic paint as well. Yes, what you see in the pics is true - she wanted it painted pink. Looks great though, and matches her personality.

Let me make everyone aware that while I am offering guidance in this project, she is doing almost all of the work. She wanted this to be her plane and I think that is just fantastic.

Please, anyone who has any tips about this plane, please post them. This is her first plane, so we want it to be as good as possible. Should we be aware of any mods that are needed?

Hope everyone enjoys this thread - more to follow in the next few days.

Here are some pics of what has been done so far. That's my sweetie modeling the plane for me!

She loves the fact that her plane is called a 'Beaver' - makes her smile everytime we talk about it.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/bvr1.bmp

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/bvr2.bmp

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-21-2005, 04:38 PM
She got alot accomplished last night. Based on recommendations, we installed a long wooden dowell on the front of the wing, attached with strapping tape. Also used strapping tape on the center of the wing fore to aft. Those small mods seemed to make the wing much stronger.

Installed the tail feathers as well. A problem arose at that time. When attempting to mount the control surfaces to the rear stabs, we tried to use packing tape. It didn't really secure it well enough. Does anyone have another idea here?

Here are some updated photos of the plane, it's coming along nicely.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/bvr3.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/bvr4.jpg

=================================================

Update on the build, the plane is pretty much done. Installed and attached the tail feathers and installed the pushrods. I noticed that the plane doesn't include the plastic pushrod guides. We installed the rods without them, but I am suprised they weren't included. Also epoxied the landing gear on and mounted a shaped popcicle stick to add in securing them well. Installed the motor and speed control - went with the 300C motor on D gearing. I have a 350, but its in B gearing, and I worry that might propell the plane at too high a speed for her to start with. This plane seems very light, so I assume the 300 will fly her okay. What does everyone else think? Would be running it on 8cell AAA packs.

Finally, installed the cowl and finished the wing struts. Here are a couple of photos of her and the and plane.

All that's left to acomplish is to install the servos and receiver and she is ready to fly.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/BV1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/BV2.jpg

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Well - We got the plane all charged and ready to go. Trims are all set and everything is complete. Was not able to maiden her last night due to extreme wind. Should be calm here this evening, so the maiden is planned for tonight.

Amazingly enough - the plane came out balanced perfectly without needing to add any nose weight. Have her balanced at 45mm behind the LE of the wing. Is this the correct spot?

Total weight, with all electronics, motor, and battery is only 13.4oz. Came in quite light I must say! She taxied it around the driveway and was giddy with excitement. Plenty of power it seems on the 300C with a 10x4.7 prop.

Here are some photos of the inside radio compartment, the plane, and her. Yes, what you see on the wing is her design of a lipstick kiss. This plane is so girlie. Jeez

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/beav5.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/beav6.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/beav7.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/beav8.jpg

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-21-2005, 04:42 PM
My girlfriend maidened her Beaver today after waiting almost a month for the wind to calm down.

3 flights, all a success - used a 1300mah 3S lipo pack with the 350C motor on B gearing swinging a 10x4.7 prop. Set the throttle ATV to 70% to prevent overloading the motor.

Plane flew great - even handled the minor wind gusts. Very stable aircraft. This was only her second or third time on the sticks, and she did just fantastic! Consecutive loops, great patterns around the field. I was very impressed. Plane just glides like its made of cotton too. Going into the wind, she even managed to pull off a pretty good wingover, albeit I think it wasn't on purpose.

Here are a couple of photos of her at the field - one with the plane, and another with a HUGE smile on her face while flying! Enjoy

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/beav1.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/beav2.jpg

JFGrn
07-21-2005, 06:47 PM
I mean. How do I say this.
Great job on your girlfriends Beaver!
It looks like she's got a handle on things. Congrats.

John

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-21-2005, 06:51 PM
JfGrn - I know, it's hard to make comments about it without snickering, isn't it?

But yes, I am very proud of her. I hope to teach her how to land on the next trip out, she still gives it to me for that part.

Keep telling her that taking off is an option, but landing is manditory.

Mike Parsons
07-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Congratulations to your both! Keep her around as they are hard to come by :)

-Mike

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-21-2005, 09:07 PM
Thanks Mike - I plan to!

stuk_at_work
07-22-2005, 05:26 PM
Ahh. Female pilots. We need more of them! Congrats to the both of you.

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Stuk - you arn't kidding - She is suprised whenever we go to the flying field and she is the only female there.

mastrsn
07-31-2005, 01:26 AM
Wow, man......

Your girlfriend has a nice Beaver! :rolleyes:

"Look out for those pesky Lightpoles!"
B:DB

mastrsn
08-01-2005, 02:04 AM
I have truly come to believe that you can't really enjoy a nice Beaver unless you try one on the water.......

"Look out for those pesky Lightpoles!"
B:DB

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-01-2005, 02:32 PM
mastrsn - I have seen several with floats and it is calling to us. Once she becomes more proficient, and wants to step up to a plane that can handle the wind a little better, we will probably outfit the beaver with some water wings. She made a couple of landing attempts this weekend. Did great on her first one, but came in way to hot on the second. Flipped it over in the grass - no damage though other than a slightly dented cowling.

Boomerang
08-01-2005, 03:03 PM
She, her, the one with the Beaver, your girl must have a name? :rolleyes: Glad to see ....... is enjoying flying! - John :)

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Thanks Jon - sure, her name is Shanon. She's a sweetie, and loves flying so far. Loves watching me too. Went flying this weekend, and later in the day, it got too windy for her plane, but she had plenty of fun watching me fly as well. She is getting better and better everyday.

torqeroll
08-01-2005, 11:43 PM
yes your girl friend has a nice beaver

Boomerang
08-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Give everyone's regards to Shanon, now we have all seen her ... um...er...Beaver.
Won't say any more, I'll only get in trouble! John.

Spacey
08-03-2005, 11:02 AM
What can I say?? LOL!

Nice job on the plane buddy and companion! I am glad to see that it is nearly safe to say that this hobby is not only for the boys. We have 3 female pilots in our club and my new girlfriend is showing alot of interest in things. I got her going on the simulator now and let her fly my F5J competition glider and my Electra sometimes. Problem is I don't have any "training" planes as most my stuff is high performance 3D planes and well sorta tricky to learn on gliders but she is getting a grasp of things. She really sucks up every bit of info I blabber while at the field and I got a feeling she'll make a great pilot one day.

Oh and for those of you that doesn't know! The South African team flying in the F3B gliding world champs right now as we speak has a female pilot part of the team. And yes she is doing very well!! Goooo team SA!! :D

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-03-2005, 01:43 PM
Spacey - I agree, all my planes were high performance too. But, for a whopping 20.00 I purchased this Beaver, and it has been great!

Thanks for all the comments.

bc-slowflyer
08-07-2005, 10:48 PM
mastrsn - I have seen several with floats and it is calling to us. Once she becomes more proficient, and wants to step up to a plane that can handle the wind a little better, we will probably outfit the beaver with some water wings. She made a couple of landing attempts this weekend. Did great on her first one, but came in way to hot on the second. Flipped it over in the grass - no damage though other than a slightly dented cowling.

Take it from a guy that just started flying on floats...it's way easier than taking off and landing on a runway. I converted my E-Starter to floats 2 weeks ago and I can't believe how easy it is!!
Great to see your girlfriend involved in this hobby with you. She's a keeper.

Thanks;
Rod

EpoweredRc
08-08-2005, 10:31 PM
I think it is great you have a girl who loves planes and knows how to fly.mine likes watching me and said she wanted to learn but she hasnt,she doesnt listen to what I try to tell her about it,thats a nice looking plane your gf has,its colorful tell her good job.

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Foamies - Thanks for the headsup!

She did all the paint work herself, although I did help her mask it off.

She is still stubborn like many women and doesn't always listen to my tips, but overall, she is doing great!!!

EpoweredRc
08-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Foamies - Thanks for the headsup!

She did all the paint work herself, although I did help her mask it off.

She is still stubborn like many women and doesn't always listen to my tips, but overall, she is doing great!!!

Well make sure you keep her,If I ever found a girl who could fly like sounds like yours can I would marry her.:D Enjoy that life,hehe Imjust glad mine does enjoy going to the feild with me and taking pictures of me flying.

Epoxycup
08-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Thumbs up on the Beaver, you couldnt have picked a better flying plane for her, she will loveit.:p
Be sure that the wing struts dont come loose from the bamboo sticks or the wing will fold:eek: . Other than that they are just plain fun. Congradulations on the beaver and Sharons flying skills;)

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Epoxy - Thanks for the great comments. She is coming along very nicely. I originally wanted her to get a slowstick, but she wanted a plane that looked "real". I am suprised at how well this plane actually flies. Great for a beginner.

She is now taking off from the grass, climbing, doing some great patterns around the field and landing - all solo.

EpoweredRc
08-11-2005, 10:08 PM
Epoxy - Thanks for the great comments. She is coming along very nicely. I originally wanted her to get a slowstick, but she wanted a plane that looked "real". I am suprised at how well this plane actually flies. Great for a beginner.

She is now taking off from the grass, climbing, doing some great patterns around the field and landing - all solo.

Woohoo way to go Reformed Nitroaddict (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=11) vbmenu_register("postmenu_2834", true); g/f lol,sounds funny but since dont know name.I wish mine could catch on like yours has.

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-11-2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks Foamies - My name is Anthony and hers is Shanon.

laker500
08-12-2005, 03:16 AM
Very nice job. I don't believe I have ever witnessed a female RC nut. Now I know for sure they exist!!!

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-12-2005, 04:35 AM
500 - You are right - like I said in the first post "I've done what no man has, and every man wants to" LOL.

EpoweredRc
08-12-2005, 03:54 PM
500 - You are right - like I said in the first post "I've done what no man has, and every man wants to" LOL.

well a long time ago my mother used to fly with my father,that was back in the 60s and 70s though.she also built all my fathers planes and when I started flying she build and covered my planes.my gf loves watching and all but just aint got the hang of it.hopefully she will one day.maybe when we get her plane built she will want to learn and try harder.

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-12-2005, 04:03 PM
foamies - That is a great story about your mother! Very cool!

I notice you say that your girlfriend might have more interest when you finish her plane.....what are the two of you building for her?

EpoweredRc
08-12-2005, 04:08 PM
foamies - That is a great story about your mother! Very cool!

I notice you say that your girlfriend might have more interest when you finish her plane.....what are the two of you building for her?

We went to a Clubs Electric Fun fly and she bought 2 tickets for the raffle and won a E-flight Tribute. I know its not a beginner plane but I will be there on buddy box with her.I think it should fly pretty good. She has paid for a motor and ESC already for it just have to get servos and a receiver for it.

Chris

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-12-2005, 04:45 PM
Wow - That is just fantastic. Make sure you post some photos of the maiden. I'm sure my girl is getting lonely being the only female on here.

EpoweredRc
08-12-2005, 06:05 PM
Wow - That is just fantastic. Make sure you post some photos of the maiden. I'm sure my girl is getting lonely being the only female on here.

Well I took a picture with her with the box and also after we put the decals on it.:D

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Whoa - You are going to be teaching her how to fly on a profile 3D plane? Wow!

Thats great though - I'm sure you can do it, plus - you know the thing can fly slow and will be quite durable.

EpoweredRc
08-12-2005, 07:58 PM
Whoa - You are going to be teaching her how to fly on a profile 3D plane? Wow!

Thats great though - I'm sure you can do it, plus - you know the thing can fly slow and will be quite durable.

Oh guess you didnt know what a Tribute was huh.Yeah its a profile 3d type but yea it should fly slow.

I was taught on a Big Stick 40 so you know lol No trianer type for me.

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-12-2005, 08:01 PM
well good luck - Im sure she will do great! Glad to have you here at Wattflyer!

Doppelganger
08-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Unfortunately for me, my wife will never share my love of flying with me. She told me we should have our own separate hobbies.:( She came out to the fun fly, but that was the only time. You're a lucky guy. Appreciate what you have bro. Extremely happy for you man.:D

Steve

Mustang
08-13-2005, 06:56 AM
Nitro,
My wife sent in for a AMA membership the other day. Her and my daughter are leaning to fly an Easy Star by Multiplex. My wife is getting the hang flying a bit quicker then I did.
By the way the Mustang will go vertical no problem. I can get about 9 minutes of speed or 15 to 18 minutes of regular flight.
I have an old Top Flight Mustang that I am thinking about converting, if the cost come down.

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Wow Mustang - That is just awesome - beats me even!

EpoweredRc
08-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Nitro,
My wife sent in for a AMA membership the other day. Her and my daughter are leaning to fly an Easy Star by Multiplex. My wife is getting the hang flying a bit quicker then I did.
By the way the Mustang will go vertical no problem. I can get about 9 minutes of speed or 15 to 18 minutes of regular flight.
I have an old Top Flight Mustang that I am thinking about converting, if the cost come down.

WOW I just love these kinda storys,I wish everyones wife,gf,daughter,son brother whoever would get interested into RC it would make our places to fly more secure.Sorry Anthony for Hijacking your thread.

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-13-2005, 06:42 PM
No worries - hijack away!

Epoxycup
09-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Hey Reform,

Sorry about calling your girlfriend Sharon, Got it right now Shanon:o . Just thought I would mention a friend of mines wife is now flying RC and is a brand new AMA member.
She has graduated from a Slow Stick to a Hanger-9 Gypsey and now is starting to fly a Ucando .46. :) It's great to see the girls getting interested.

Hope the pic uploaded

Mustang
09-19-2005, 02:52 AM
Watch out guys the girls are comming on strong. I started her with a easy star foamie, then she graduated to an Kadett. Now she wants me to build her an lt 40 (electric of course) does not like that yucky oil all over the plane....

She wants to try my cessna 182 (as long as I clean it up after) gee maybe this was a mistake... lol
Caught her looking over my top flite P-51 the other day, she better learn to build if she has one of thse in mind...
How is Shanon doing with her flying?

REDNECK FLYER
09-26-2005, 09:26 PM
Thanks Jon - sure, her name is Shanon. She's a sweetie, and loves flying so far. Loves watching me too. Went flying this weekend, and later in the day, it got too windy for her plane, but she had plenty of fun watching me fly as well. She is getting better and better everyday. keep her around thats a one in a thosand! oh and uh, nice beaver.:D I MENT THE PLANE!!!:)

Electrasonic
10-07-2005, 11:53 AM
flying beavers, next tthing pigs will be flying -))

Up&Away
10-10-2005, 03:47 PM
flying beavers, next tthing pigs will be flying -))
Have a look at my avatar!;)

roccobro
10-17-2005, 10:15 PM
So Shanon colored the plane? What did you use? Looks nice with sharp lines, I thought it would have been some iron on film.

Good job!

Justin

qban_flyer
10-17-2005, 11:11 PM
JfGrn - I know, it's hard to make comments about it without snickering, isn't it?

HE, HE, HE. My thoughts exactly.

A very good friend of mine got his wife "hooked" onto R/C. She no longer does chores around the house, now she just builds and flies! She flies more than he does.

She takes a plane to work with her every single day of the week and flies it on her lunch break. Talk about an addictive activity!

He's thrilled, though.

nadt770
11-11-2005, 08:17 PM
??

John

Son of Paleface
11-22-2005, 09:51 PM
I bet U love her beaver as well as her :p:p:rolleyes::D

Kapn Kaos
11-23-2005, 02:42 AM
Was that a Coors light on the table?

lmopar69
11-23-2005, 03:54 AM
Gee, wish I had your gilrfriends Beaver here. (Im giggling just writing that) Nice plane too!

But, I got my wife flying now too, so your GF is not alone! She flies her Easy Star painted up like a Milk Cow.

Laine

Son of Paleface
11-23-2005, 06:11 AM
I had a look at a real Beaver once ;), up close it was a bit rough on the outside, but the inside was quite smooth.........well "laid" out :rolleyes::D

Mike Parsons
11-23-2005, 01:20 PM
Oooookkkk.....Lets be careful here. This thread is drifting a bit too much on either side of the road and needs to be brought to the middle strip once again. Thanks.

EpoweredRc
11-25-2005, 02:02 PM
HE, HE, HE. My thoughts exactly.

A very good friend of mine got his wife "hooked" onto R/C. She no longer does chores around the house, now she just builds and flies! She flies more than he does.

She takes a plane to work with her every single day of the week and flies it on her lunch break. Talk about an addictive activity!

He's thrilled, though.

Wow, thats great news. Minestill hasnt learned to fly. the weather isnt good this time of year. maybe next flying season.

Bill G
12-18-2005, 06:17 AM
I bet U love her beaver as well as her :p:p:rolleyes::D

Good thing you didn't leave out foam and project from the title.
Quite a paint scheme. Anyway, here's mine:

roccobro
12-19-2005, 03:20 AM
Good looking planes guys (and girls!). Man I love beavers. Too bad I don't have one myself. :D

Justin

Bill G
12-20-2005, 04:36 AM
Good looking planes guys (and girls!). Man I love beavers. Too bad I don't have one myself. :D

Justin
Get some, pardon, I meant to say get one! At $35 a pop, its cheaper than any other Beaver out there.

qban_flyer
12-20-2005, 06:56 AM
Get some, pardon, I meant to say get one! At $35 a pop, its cheaper than any other Beaver out there.

You've got that right! :D

Bill G
12-25-2005, 04:55 AM
Update, finally flew this thing, awesome!
I've had this thing for almost a year now. Never flown. Went to a sanctioned field with a pond last summer, but the pond was almost dry. Finally a day that is not frigid cold, but still snow on the ground. Decided against hand launching, althogh I was worried about ground handling in wet hard snow. Well it was excellent! Why didn't I try this thing out sooner. Took off at very low speed in little distance. This is the best flying plane I have ever flown. Responsive, yet stable and self-correcting. Easier to fly than a Slow Stick. Never got past half throttle, with a geared Himax 2015-4100, GWS 9070 3-blade (good scale looks), and Thunder Power gen2 3s-900 (9-11A cont rated). With the GWS floats, the AUW is still something like 16oz, with this setup. Very light, considering the wing loading. On landing, I accidentally dropped to zero throttle. For a split second I was worried, but realized that it was gliding in beautifully dead stick, so I kept it off to see the result. Bounced on ititial contact, came down on 1 float, then down on both. Next, I had some fun driving it around, and eventually back right to my feet. Didn't walk a single step. When coming out of ground turns on snow, you have to straighten out early, or you'll keep whipping around, just like a car on snow. Quite a bit of fun, for a plane that I bought with the "not sure why I'm buying this" attitude. For a $35 plane and $10 floats, it is an excellent value. I'm sure the stock 350 brushed would be ample also, as I didn't need much of the bl motor's power. I'm estimating that with full brushless power I could basically Harrier off of water.

roccobro
12-26-2005, 04:38 AM
Congrats Bill! I love it when a plane comes together. :D

Justin

nz builder
11-19-2006, 03:30 AM
I think its wonderful you guys can share a hobby together. Long live the Beaver!

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-10-2007, 04:12 AM
bump

CHELLIE
08-10-2007, 05:52 AM
Very nice job. I don't believe I have ever witnessed a female RC nut. Now I know for sure they exist!!!

There out there, belive me :Q :ws: ;-) Take care, Chellie;-)

CHELLIE
08-10-2007, 05:55 AM

Hi Nitroaddict :) Is your GF a member on Wattflyers ? I hope so :ws: Take Care, Chellie

yossarian
08-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Reformed Nitro Man, just in case this hasn't been mentioned yet, you should rename the title of the thread to "My Girlfriends Foamie Beaver". Sorry, I couldn't resist. :D

Sure would be nice to get some stick time on that beaver of hers. (oh man, I need to stop)

Sorry,
Dave ;)

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Chellie - yeah, she is a member here, but doesn't really post. Just reads on occasion.

CHELLIE
08-11-2007, 05:24 AM
Chellie - yeah, she is a member here, but doesn't really post. Just reads on occasion.

Hi Anthony :) Thats Hard to Belive that a Woman Does not like to Talk, Chat, Post, Most Women will Talk your ears off :Q :silly: ;-) and Annoy you to death with Their Chattering :roll: Its just our way of doing things ;-)
Take Care, Chellie

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Haw! Love it Chellie.

She just isn't really a computer person. Trust me....she does know how to talk :)

Masterpiece
08-15-2007, 06:53 AM
Well, I did what no other man has done. I got my girl hooked on electric flight! After flying my last plane, and doing very well, she has decided that she wants to build her own and learn how to fly. We decided on teh Beaver instead of the Slow Stick, as it is still a very docile plane, yet resembles a real aircraft. I will help her on a trainer cord and it shouldnt be a problem.

We picked up the slope glider version, as I already had an extra 350 and 300 motor laying around. Grabbed some servos as well and we were all set.

=====================

Started off by strengthening the rear of the fuse with some epoxy and 1/2oz cloth. Very minimal use to keep weight down. Glued the fuse together and installed the correct dihedral in the wings.

Laid down some of the basic paint as well. Yes, what you see in the pics is true - she wanted it painted pink. Looks great though, and matches her personality.

Let me make everyone aware that while I am offering guidance in this project, she is doing almost all of the work. She wanted this to be her plane and I think that is just fantastic.

Please, anyone who has any tips about this plane, please post them. This is her first plane, so we want it to be as good as possible. Should we be aware of any mods that are needed?

Hope everyone enjoys this thread - more to follow in the next few days.

Here are some pics of what has been done so far. That's my sweetie modeling the plane for me!

She loves the fact that her plane is called a 'Beaver' - makes her smile everytime we talk about it.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/bvr1.bmp

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y283/nitroaddict/bvr2.bmp

Damn .... I misred the title. ;-)

LuckyDay
08-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Saw this when I logged on to Wattflyer... :Q that's good stuff!

phupper
08-21-2007, 10:52 PM
I wish I could teach my girlfriend to fly RC. But I can't even get her to put the toilet seat up when she's done. <sigh>

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Saw this when I logged on to Wattflyer... :Q that's good stuff!

Ha! The title is getting everyone to look!