PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Carbon?

Major Bladebraker
05-01-2006, 09:46 PM
Folks,

Is it O.K. to cut Carbon rods to the right length? I build graphite fishing rods and if carbon is similar, cutting weakens the matrix. Any tips would helpful, thanks!!!

redgiki
05-01-2006, 10:24 PM
I cut them all the time, from pushrods to spars to joiners. Just wrap the area you want to cut in masking tape (so that the cut is clean and the dust is minimized), put on your dust mask (carbon fiber dust is a pretty potent carcinogen), and hacksaw away.

Rugar
05-01-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm not sure if it weakens it or not. The carbon tubes, rods, flats that we use in this hobby may not be laid up the same as the ones for fishing rod blanks? I'm not sure. Regardless, we don't have a choice but to cut carbon to length for our purpose to use as wing spars, control linkages and such. Most of the stuff we use comes in 18", 36", and 48" lengths.
When cutting carbon I use either my scroll saw or a cutoff wheel on a dremel. After cutting I always slightly taper the end to keep it from splintering.

TManiaci
05-02-2006, 01:46 AM
Like Rugar... I like the thin cutoff wheel on the Dremmel too. Really controls the splintering and makes it easy to put a small clean chamfer on the edge. A touch of thin CA on the cut end really hardens it up so it won't split.

Major Bladebraker
05-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Wow, thanks folks! That's exactly the info I was looking for! Great tips!

ragbag
05-07-2006, 08:59 PM
I was going to say all of the above, but they beat me to it. I prefer the Dremel fiber wheel over all of the other methods. do protect against breathing the dust.

Another trick I was taught is to put a drop of CA on the fiber wheel before using. It doesn't break as easy as a "bare" wheel.

I did the fishing rods too and can't tell the difference except the size.

Kosh
05-08-2006, 02:48 AM
Just a warning as more that a few peoples Dremmal has caught fire from sucking in the carbon dust into the vents. While its not that likely there have been a few that got a nice pop out of there Dremmal and it stopped working.

Bill G
05-08-2006, 03:54 AM
Folks,

Is it O.K. to cut Carbon rods to the right length? I build graphite fishing rods and if carbon is similar, cutting weakens the matrix. Any tips would helpful, thanks!!!

I roll them across a workboard with a sharp blade, until it cuts most of the way through, and then snap them off. It is tough on blades, though. Just take your time, so you don't crush the rod, fraying the end. Works better with solid, than hollow, obviously.

Major Bladebraker
05-08-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm a little confused: I saw what appears to be a note from the administrator on the bottom of Bill G's reply advising that two members have been exchanging problematic posts. Is this a reference to my posts? If so, could someone explain to me what the problem is? Thanks!!

Rugar
05-08-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm a little confused: I saw what appears to be a note from the administrator on the bottom of Bill G's reply advising that two members have been exchanging problematic posts. Is this a reference to my posts? If so, could someone explain to me what the problem is? Thanks!!

That is Bill's own doing, and your not the only one confused over it. It has nothing to do with your posts Major.

Bill G
05-08-2006, 11:08 PM

Most signatures are a humorous way to look at the light side of things, in one way or another. At least the good ones are. I guess the Confucian saying should have a writer's name after it.